Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 116 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-IP E-tickets/major additions might not be dead forever, but they're dead now. If you're Universal, you don't want to gamble building a park devoid of what has brought you success up until this point
Walt gambled all he had. I'm sure Comcast could stand to gamble a single attraction.

Reactions: grizzlybarely
The problem with Sci-Fi is its so niche and becomes outdated fast with new technology. 1950s sci fi is different than 1980s sci fi which looks way different than today's sci fi. However Comcast could use the IP they own known as Eureka that would actually work great in a theme park environment for a version of Epcot if they wish to revive the show as it was one of their most watched shows on Syfy. Also a lot of the Sci-Fi IPs are owned by companies trying to start their own theme parks as well which makes it harder for Comcast to get the rights. I think Universal does have some rights for use in theme park for Doctor Who as elements of the show have been seen in the parks but disney also has rights for Dr. Who as well (all I know for right now is they have television rights and plan to air it on Disney XD )

Moving on to Laika, I know people keep hitting on Coraline, Paranorman, and Boxtrolls but Laika only has a 3 film deal partnership with Universal/Focus which three projects in development which sound way stronger for theme parks than those three. Especially their project coming out next year titled Kubo:

The story is set in ancient Japan, where a young boy named Kubo cares for his mother in a village. A spirit from the past turns Kubo's life upside down by re-igniting an age-old vendetta. This causes all sorts of havoc as gods and monsters chase Kubo who, in order to survive, must locate a magical suit of armor once worn by his late father, a legendary Samurai warrior.

In regards to show and entertainment; Robert Greenblatt and Chris Hertzberger need to be brought into the game as they both already work for Universal Pictures and have produced broadway level shows which have won accolades which Universal needs. Robert Greenblatt may not be able to chose decent programming for NBC but he has won awards for his work on broadway.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Stargate is getting a new trilogy? Going to have to look into that. Loved the original and most of the spin offs were decent.

Stargate is getting a new trilogy? Going to have to look into that. Loved the original and most of the spin offs were decent.

Yeah, Roland Emmerich is rebooting it. He's notoriously not a fan of the TV shows, so he's starting over again the way he wants it. Supposedly it is up next after the Independence Day sequel. As for myself, I really love SG-1 and wish Atlantis and Universe had a chance to finish.

I think as far as Sci-Fi goes there are really only two viable options Star Trek and Doctor Who. Doctor Who is really more fantasy than Sci-Fi and as a result has a more timeless look similar to HP and SW. With Star Trek if they went with the older era I think they could be appreciated as classics, but I'm not sure that's the best way to represent the series. If the new series takes off and feels like it's going to stick around for a while then I think that would be a good route to go. The timing is pretty good as in a couple of years we'll probably know how well it's doing and it could be included in the plans.

Yeah, Roland Emmerich is rebooting it. He's notoriously not a fan of the TV shows, so he's starting over again the way he wants it. Supposedly it is up next after the Independence Day sequel. As for myself, I really love SG-1 and wish Atlantis and Universe had a chance to finish.

Yeah I just read an article. I am less excited about it now that I see he is starting over. I agree, I wish some of the other series could have better endings or be continued. Or even create a new SG-1 series with new and old characters and do more of that. Loved that show.

All that haunted attraction talk and no one said Luigi's Mansion?

As for the third park the IP's I think are the most likely to appear are Jurassic World, Fantastic Beasts, Zelda, and/or Pokemon due to the fact they already have the rights for all of them. If at least one of those don't appear I'll be pretty surprised.

Anything Ghostbusters belongs in US. As far as sci-fi, is Men In Black considered sci-fi? Why wouldn't they just use expansion pads around this area to add sci-fi related IPs vs waiting on a new park. Basing lands on things considered futuristic or sci-fi run the risk of quickly becoming outdated as in the case of Tomorrowland IMO. But I would definitely love to see Ghostbusters return to the Studios in some forms as well as Back to the Future (unlikely).

I think in terms of sci-fi using jules verne works would be the right mix of tech/ sci fi / fantasy, timeless stuff.

As much as I love Jules Verne, Disney has basically claimed his collective works at this point. Universal has done some cool stuff with steampunk themes at HHN in the past though. That, I would enjoy seeing at a larger scale.

A scifi city as a central hub would be great and it would not necessarily mean every part of the park has to be scifi related, you could have a non scifi lands connected through a 'time portal' or something like that.

As much as I love Jules Verne, Disney has basically claimed his collective works at this point. Universal has done some cool stuff with steampunk themes at HHN in the past though. That, I would enjoy seeing at a larger scale.

Jules Verne stuff is public domain, who cares if disney has used it?

Jules Verne stuff is public domain, who cares if disney has used it?

It's not just that they have used it; they've used it a lot. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Mysterious Island, plus he had cameos in both Horizons and The Timekeeper. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Reactions: ChrisFL
It's not just that they have used it; they've used it a lot. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Mysterious Island, plus he had cameos in both Horizons and The Timekeeper. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
:shrug:
none of those things have a US presence

I don't want to get too far into this, because I doubt Uni would use Verne's work, but I'm willing to bet less than one percent of guests would have any idea about Journey to the Center of the Earth or the other stuff listed here that exists in Tokyo/international parks

Status
Not open for further replies.