Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
How is Star Wars perceived overseas and didn't Avatar do huge outside the USA? If SW is pretty popular in Asia I can see it getting close to Avatar
star wars has been historically huge domestic and solid over seas....looking at box office mojo star wars is about 50/50 where as the top grossing films of all time are 30/70

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Sets Ticket Sales Record | Variety

There are already sellouts, particularly in Imax screenings, and to meet the demand, movie theaters are continually adding show times, the online ticketer reports. “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” presales also broke every Imax record, generating over $6.5 million. The film eclipsed “The Dark Knight Rises,” “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” and “Avengers,” which each earned around $1 million for their first reported presales.

This is insane.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
It is somewhat sad yet funny that this film cannot be compared to the last 3 Star Wars films because everyone knew those would probably be terrible under the direction of Lucas.

There are real hopes that this film's super-fan director can conjure the magic of the original.

Reactions: youhow2
im kinda worried now i got battlefront for free and fell ripped off and this after Disney closed the studios cancelled the fantastic 1313 and then giving ea sole rights to star wars games it makes me think i should go into the movies with little to no expectations

im kinda worried now i got battlefront for free and fell ripped off and this after Disney closed the studios cancelled the fantastic 1313 and then giving ea sole rights to star wars games it makes me think i should go into the movies with little to no expectations

What does that have anything to do with the film? Abrams and Kasdan had nothing to do with that game. And since when has a video game (that's not even based on the film, just a video game in the universe) been an indicator of the film quality? That's like saying LOTR was going to disappoint because you didn't like The Two Towers for PS2 .

Reactions: youhow2 and sjago13
What does that have anything to do with the film? Abrams and Kasdan had nothing to do with that game. And since when has a video game (that's not even based on the film, just a video game in the universe) been an indicator of the film quality? That's like saying LOTR was going to disappoint because you didn't like The Two Towers for PS2 .
just saying since Disney got the rights to star wars many mistakes have been made and don't you think a lot the movie fans also bought the game

just saying since Disney got the rights to star wars many mistakes have been made and don't you think a lot the movie fans also bought the game
It would be wise to separate your feelings towards the game from your expectations for the movie. These are two vastly different products coming from two totally different companies in two completely separate industries. One will have no effect on the other.

You can say that people thought the same when Disney bought Marvel and Pixar. And, you can not blame Disney but EA on the game.

That being said, 17 days Ladies and gent's till Star Wars returns!

There is so much Star Wars literally everywhere.. that if this not the highest grossing movie ever, they have failed.

Can you name the mistakes for me?

Since Disney has taken over they've taken the power away from Lucas and given it to Kathleen Kennedy, one the best producers and minds in the industry. She in turn not only convinced JJ to come on board, but basically convinced Kasdan to come out of retirement and handle not one but two Star Wars scripts. They then proceeded to lock up every hot sci-fi director working today. Abrams, Edwards, Johnson and Trevorrow (though I think he's deeply overrated). Not only that but they convinced Lord and Miller to abandon DC's The Flash to film the Young Han Solo project.

So again, what are these "many mistakes" you speak of? Battlefront? I'm sorry but LucasArts made far more mistakes than a disappointing FPS and the cancellation of 1313. That stuff is nothing compared to the work being done in the studio.

Last edited:
Magically swooped up tickets the other day for Thursday evening, and super pumped! Any last minute thoughts, predictions, etc.? As excited as I am, I'm a little worried about a few things,
1.) Disney--rejecting the original script by a talented writer who based it upon Lucas' original outline is worrying. I want to see the story arc Lucas envisioned. Im afraid they threw that out in favor of a re-hash of A New Hope
2.) JJ Abrams--this guy has yet to make a great movie IMO. Yeah, same with the guys who did Empire and Jedi, but still...he lacks depth from what I've seen. I don't want an overly-commercialized action movie. Star Wars is a space opera and I hope he can keep the more serious elements that made Star Wars Star Wars in tact.

But if they come up with a natural continuation of the Skywalker story that ties into the rise and fall of Anakin, I'll be a happy guy. Im a SW nerd, and I dont want a Star Trek-type sci-fi. I'm more interested in where the story goes rather than the action scenes

Reactions: Ultranel
According to early non-spoiler reviews, it's great.

And please, hold off on spoilers in this thread until Thursday Night. After Thursday, it's fair game.

Reactions: *Q*
According to early non-spoiler reviews, it's great.

And please, hold off on spoilers in this thread until Thursday Night. After Thursday, it's fair game.
Oh really? I thought there was an embargo until midnight. Either way, don't wanna risk spoilers so I won't read any but that's great to hear.

Magically swooped up tickets the other day for Thursday evening, and super pumped! Any last minute thoughts, predictions, etc.? As excited as I am, I'm a little worried about a few things,
1.) Disney--rejecting the original script by a talented writer who based it upon Lucas' original outline is worrying. I want to see the story arc Lucas envisioned. Im afraid they threw that out in favor of a re-hash of A New Hope
2.) JJ Abrams--this guy has yet to make a great movie IMO. Yeah, same with the guys who did Empire and Jedi, but still...he lacks depth from what I've seen. I don't want an overly-commercialized action movie. Star Wars is a space opera and I hope he can keep the more serious elements that made Star Wars Star Wars in tact.

But if they come up with a natural continuation of the Skywalker story that ties into the rise and fall of Anakin, I'll be a happy guy. Im a SW nerd, and I dont want a Star Trek-type sci-fi. I'm more interested in where the story goes rather than the action scenes

I just finished JEDI last night and I am a bit concerned. I believe JJ will do great job and by the previews it does have a Star Wars feeling to it... So I believe the movie will be good BUT!!! The plot scares me for the 1st reason you stated here. I understand there has to be a new generation but as one of the very few people that likes the prequels, just because the main plot was truly Palpitine and The Fall of the Republic "which I was very interested... How the fancy galaxy turn into crap" and of course there's also Anakin, but we knew how that was going to end up. So to me prequels are about Politics at it's worse, and Original was more of an adventure that turned into family drama, and less politics. So!!! before Yoda dies he said to Luke "pass what you have learned" "the last of the Jedi will you be". So I'm thinking 30 years after a new Republic is born and Luke is in the process to creating the New Jedi Order, since the Jedi is in power AGAIN!... right? Well all I can get from the new previews is that the galaxy still crap, all the Original characters seems to be hiding or nowhere to be found instead of being in Coruscant keeping democracy alive in the galactic senate they way it should be, specially Leah!! I mean, That's what her adoptive father "Senator Organa" wanted all along.... So after Jedi, I guess they took a 30 year vacation and let the galaxy's fate in the air? Same with Kylo, I hope he got a good back story that makes sense, because this obsession or crush with Vader just because he got a good suit is not enough for me.

I just finished JEDI last night and I am a bit concerned. I believe JJ will do great job and by the previews it does have a Star Wars feeling to it... So I believe the movie will be good BUT!!! The plot scares me for the 1st reason you stated here. I understand there has to be a new generation but as one of the very few people that likes the prequels, just because the main plot was truly Palpitine and The Fall of the Republic "which I was very interested... How the fancy galaxy turn into crap" and of course there's also Anakin, but we knew how that was going to end up. So to me prequels are about Politics at it's worse, and Original was more of an adventure that turned into family drama, and less politics. So!!! before Yoda dies he said to Luke "pass what you have learned" "the last of the Jedi will you be". So I'm thinking 30 years after a new Republic is born and Luke is in the process to creating the New Jedi Order, since the Jedi is in power AGAIN!... right? Well all I can get from the new previews is that the galaxy still crap, all the Original characters seems to be hiding or nowhere to be found instead of being in Coruscant keeping democracy alive in the galactic senate they way it should be, specially Leah!! I mean, That's what her adoptive father "Senator Organa" wanted all along.... So after Jedi, I guess they took a 30 year vacation and let the galaxy's fate in the air? Same with Kylo, I hope he got a good back story that makes sense, because this obsession or crush with Vader just because he got a good suit is not enough for me.

I feel like I need to pop a few Zoloft after reading all that. :lol:

So bottom line is you felt the story should have focused on Luke's New Jedi Order and a time of piece instead of what seems to be a still broken galaxy?

Of course, they will probably address and clarify why they went this way, but I think it's smart.

Luke, for all intents and purposes, was in no shape to be leader of the new Jedi Order. I always felt Yoda and Obi-Wan's teachings was for him to be "good enough" to beat Vader and the Emperor. In addition, he was conflicted about his feelings. I would understand it if Luke was hesitant to shoulder this burden of being "1 of 2" Jedi to lead a new generation. Obviously without the "Keepers of the Peace", we see the rise of the "First Order" and thus.... Ep 7. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of 7/going into 8, we see Luke decide to look for more people in tune with the Force and try to resurrect the Council... or something along those lines.

The new plot is actually much more realistic. Just because you kill the Emperor doesn't mean you destroy the 30 years of propaganda he's instilled. If anything, true Imperials would double down and re-establish order. Thus we have stormtroopers who believe Skywalker was a treasonous rebel who killed the Emperor and Vader.

In fact the original, realistic ending to Jedi was Luke going off into hiding alone in disillusionment and Leia left alone to rebuild the republic from the scraps.

Reactions: Brian G.
Trying to read through the hype reactions and looking at the much more realistic reactions from people I trust, I'm thinking it is probably quite a bit better than the prequels, maybe better than Jedi, but not better than Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

All in all that's what I was hoping for, so I'm happy.

Reactions: *Q*