Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Just because you kill the Emperor doesn't mean you destroy the 30 years of propaganda he's instilled.
Duh! I think we all in America experienced something similar not too long ago. we know!

Leia left alone to rebuild the republic from the scraps.
Good job Leia :thumbsdown: lol! and by the way, I hope people understand that there's is a lot more people in the galaxy than the Original Main Characters.

To be fair, Yoda explicitly says, "Pass on what you have learned."

I understand, but his teachings was basically "Jedi for Dummies" to get him acclimated quickly. After all that, and the struggle of his feelings against his father, I understand if there would be an internal struggle and doubt to lead a new class.

To be fair, Yoda explicitly says, "Pass on what you have learned."
Thank You! JS, that means training, and as the prequels state, There's always a Jedi council no matter if there's "peace" or war the council will always be there overlooking at the actions of the government in charged. Any there is always a government in real and fake life no matter what. And this is George Lucas' rules of the galaxy, not mine or specially not Disney's. So are we starting a brand new movie/adventure? or will this truly be a continuation of the true Saga?

Thank You! JS, that means training, and as the prequels state, There's always a Jedi council no matter if there's "peace" or war the council will always be there overlooking at the actions of the government in charged. Any there is always a government in real and fake life no matter what. And this is George Lucas' rules of the galaxy, not mine or specially not Disney's. So are we starting a brand new movie/adventure? or will this truly be a continuation of the true Saga?

Both

I have no doubt the story will be good. What my "worry" is (worry only because Im a huge nerd) is that there will be a sort of disconnect between the PT/OT and this new one. As much crap as people gave the prequels, I actually liked them and enjoyed that they were all different. And that was because Lucas was interested in continuing HIS original story. Now that the Lucas-based script got rejected, I don't want Disney to swoop in and play it safe with a New Hope-esque by-the-numbers action movie. While I'm sure it'll be a good standalone movie, I hope it continues the overarching story carried out in 1-6 rather than "hey, we're starting the story over but with the same characters and references to the old movies." @BriMan , I did look up some of those non-spoiler twitter reviews tho, and they were great.

Can't have a Jedi council if there are no living Jedi.

As for the disconnect between this trilogy and the first trilogies, you guys realize that there is a pretty big disconnect between the PT and the OT right? There are a ton of plot holes. For instance, Anakin is from Tatooine... but never looks there for Luke? They never changed Luke's last name? Obi Wan doesn't remember the droids? It took 30 years to build the Death Star 1 but only 3 for the Death Star 2?

I think everyone is over-exaggerating how this film will treat the films. The events that happened will be addressed and are the foundation for the new civil war that never truly ended.

^trivial details I can deal with, Im not that picky. My thing is, the six current movies deal with the fall of the Republic and the transformation of Anakin into Darth Vader. Now that that story is done, what? Lucas had an outline penned for nine films. The script carrying that out is now garbage. The disconnect isn't about the details, it's about the overarching storyline. Granted, Lucas' plotlines for the final three movies might have been crap, but IMO Star Wars works best as one overarching story...not six movies about one thing and three more about another/a rehash.

Dont get me wrong...I'm already a huge fan of this movie before I've even seen it. I just want it to be perfect. And even if it's not, I'll still probably love the heck out of it. I just have a very clear cut standard of what will make TFA "great".

^trivial details I can deal with, Im not that picky. My thing is, the six current movies deal with the fall of the Republic and the transformation of Anakin into Darth Vader. Now that that story is done, what? Lucas had an outline penned for nine films. The script carrying that out is now garbage. The disconnect isn't about the details, it's about the overarching storyline. Granted, Lucas' plotlines for the final three movies might have been crap, but IMO Star Wars works best as one overarching story...not six movies about one thing and three more about another/a rehash.

Dont get me wrong...I'm already a huge fan of this movie before I've even seen it. I just want it to be perfect. And even if it's not, I'll still probably love the heck out of it. I just have a very clear cut standard of what will make TFA "great".

But your argument doesn't make sense. The PT is a story about the fall of the Republic. The OT is about a rebellion.

By the time Episode IV began, the Republic had been dead and Anakin had been Vader for 18 years. So how is the OT a story about the Republic falling and Anakin becoming Vader?

What you're arguing is that the first six films
have an arc with Anakin from start to finish and that somehow Lucas's idea for the third trilogy was tarnished. Hate to be the one to tell you, but Vader wasn't returning from the grave in Lucas's version either. Much like Anakin was the connective tissue between the first and second trilogies, Luke and Leia will be the connective tissue between the second and third. The OT deals with the aftermath of Anakin turning and destroying the Republic. This new trilogy deals with the aftermath of Luke destroying the Sith and the Empire.

Last edited:
But your argument doesn't make sense. The PT is a story about the fall of the Republic. The OT is about a rebellion.

By the time Episode IV began, the Republic had been dead and Anakin had been Vader for 18 years. So how is the OT a story about the Republic falling and Anakin becoming Vader?

What you're arguing is that the first six films
have an arc with Anakin from start to finish and that somehow Lucas's idea for the third trilogy was tarnished. Hate to be the one to tell you, but Vader wasn't returning from the grave in Lucas's version either. Much like Anakin was the connective tissue between the first and second trilogies, Luke and Leia will be the connective tissue between the second and third. The OT deals with the aftermath of Anakin turning and destroying the Republic. This new trilogy deals with the aftermath of Luke destroying the Sith and the Empire.
Yo...chill. I'm not "arguing" anything, it's a movie lol.
The OT may not be about becoming Vader, but it absolutely is a continuation of his rise and fall story. I dont know what the next step would've been after Jedi in Lucas' mind but the general story is that he wrote the original Star Wars as a nine-movie saga back in 1977 in the first place so I'm sure that with that in mind, there was a sense of continuity between each trilogy with the Skywalker legacy in mind. And the new movie may very well be the same way, Luke is in it, there are rumors about the main characters being related, etc. But it is a fact that the original script based on Lucas' original outline that spawned from the original movies (yes, I know that whether or not he actually had them all planned out like he said is up for debate anyway) got thrown out...I just hope that wasn't so that Disney could make a more by-the-numbers movie. As much hate as the prequels get, I do like the story and the political themes that run through them and in the hands of a capable director and dialogue-writer (like JJ) they would've been very good. But those stories were far from mainstream, and I don't think Disney has the nuts to finance anything like that.
Oh and did you miss the part where I said I never thought this would be a bad movie?:bang: Just a little thought about the direction it's going in to get a conversation started, that's all.

EDIT: Aaaaaand as more reviews come in the less I care about anything I've been saying up there. The movie seems awesome.

Last edited:
Just read a review in our Pgh. Post Gazette. The reviewer doesn't usually give good reviews to Sci Fi movies. But she gave this a real good review and basically said it's a lot like the first movie. Good sign.

Can't have a Jedi council if there are no living Jedi.
And there can't be a Dark Side without a Sith (There's only 2, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice)... and last time I checked they were both pretty dead. So does that make Kylo the new immaculate conception like Anakin but dark? At least the light side has Luke and Leia, plus the convenience of contacting Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin if they have any questions lol. Also Jedi are described as "remaining scattered in the galaxy" just like Yoda was.

you guys realize that there is a pretty big disconnect between the PT and the OT right? There are a ton of plot holes..
Not really, the republic fell and the Empire took over little by little has the galaxy deteriorated. Luke and Leia are growing up so who cares about them at this point. Mostly early civil war fighting... If you have any questions about it, you will have to wait for SW-Rogue One but you might only see Vader on those. You also have the TV show Rebels too!

Anakin is from Tatooine... but never looks there for Luke?
He didn't know about Luke, the feeling sparked during the Death Star I fight, and I bet he search for his info after that.

They never changed Luke's last name?
Well, you know to make it official you would have to go to the government and fill out some forms, and you know who was in charged at that time... lol

Obi Wan doesn't remember the droids?
Actually! he didn't jump into conclusion (a Jedi thing) but you could see the question mark on his face, I bet due to the setting, the unexpected meeting with Luke and about those droids, they are like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla... they are everywhere. Once Leia's msg was retrieved then he knew That was IT! That was the long waited "Cue" It was time to return. Yoda did the same with Luke... Yoda knew who he was and the reason he was there, he just played along till the right time.

It took 30 years to build the Death Star 1 but only 3 for the Death Star 2?
19 years from the frame work we saw on III and DS2 was about 6 years in (it was being build during Empire) and it was very incomplete, but you do have a point though.

Yo...chill. I'm not "arguing" anything, it's a movie lol.
The OT may not be about becoming Vader, but it absolutely is a continuation of his rise and fall story. I dont know what the next step would've been after Jedi in Lucas' mind but the general story is that he wrote the original Star Wars as a nine-movie saga back in 1977 in the first place so I'm sure that with that in mind, there was a sense of continuity between each trilogy with the Skywalker legacy in mind. And the new movie may very well be the same way, Luke is in it, there are rumors about the main characters being related, etc. But it is a fact that the original script based on Lucas' original outline that spawned from the original movies (yes, I know that whether or not he actually had them all planned out like he said is up for debate anyway) got thrown out...I just hope that wasn't so that Disney could make a more by-the-numbers movie. As much hate as the prequels get, I do like the story and the political themes that run through them and in the hands of a capable director and dialogue-writer (like JJ) they would've been very good. But those stories were far from mainstream, and I don't think Disney has the nuts to finance anything like that.
Oh and did you miss the part where I said I never thought this would be a bad movie?:bang: Just a little thought about the direction it's going in to get a conversation started, that's all.

EDIT: Aaaaaand as more reviews come in the less I care about anything I've been saying up there. The movie seems awesome.
:agree: Totally with you on this one.

Just read a review in our Pgh. Post Gazette. The reviewer doesn't usually give good reviews to Sci Fi movies. But she gave this a real good review and basically said it's a lot like the first movie. Good sign.
Yeah Jakku looks like Tatooine and the Temple you see looks like Yavin 4-ish. Rey says she is a nobody, just like Luke. Sounds like playing it safe.

I personally became more and more disenchanted with the franchise with the more money Lucas had to play with. He lost me with the teddy bears. The last three films were an exercise in pompous assumed creativity.

I am happy that it is going back to the near Disney story of romance and good vs evil.

And there can't be a Dark Side without a Sith (There's only 2, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice)... and last time I checked they were both pretty dead. So does that make Kylo the new immaculate conception like Anakin but dark? At least the light side has Luke and Leia, plus the convenience of contacting Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin if they have any questions lol. Also Jedi are described as "remaining scattered in the galaxy" just like Yoda was.

The Dark Side exists whether or not there are Sith. In fact, in the Star Wars universe, there are hundreds of Force users that don't label themselves as Jedi or Sith and find a balance between light and dark. The Sith used to number hundreds, just like the Jedi. However, they were always double-crossing each other and could never get anything done. Thus the Rule of Two (which you reference) was enacted. There aren't just "two" practitioners of the Dark Side. There are simply two members of the Sith order at any given time. And Kylo is not a Sith Lord. He's a member of the Order of Ren, an order of Dark Force users, supposedly.

Actually! he didn't jump into conclusion (a Jedi thing) but you could see the question mark on his face, I bet due to the setting, the unexpected meeting with Luke and about those droids, they are like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla... they are everywhere. Once Leia's msg was retrieved then he knew That was IT! That was the long waited "Cue" It was time to return. Yoda did the same with Luke... Yoda knew who he was and the reason he was there, he just played along till the right time.

Come on, man. He knew R2-D2 for 15 years. Spent 3-4 with him in the Clone Wars. Same for C-3PO.