Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion) | Page 64 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Another update, wdwmagic speculates that this new construction by the radio studio, old VIP lounge, and American Idol audition rooms will be for new meet and greets.
PHOTOS - New meet and greet area under construction at Disney's Hollywood Studios
Character-Meet-and-Greets-at-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_26320.jpg
Yup. I'm suspecting Star Wars themed, but we'll see. This is to make up for the lost M&G space that just closed over by Streets of America (Cars and Phineas & Ferb).

I'm really hoping within the next year or so, we get a Kylo Ren M&G in Launch Bay or something (or the real dream, a BB-8 M&G).

I'm hearing rumors that the Star Wars fireworks may be receiving some upgrades come summer that mimic some features of Disneyland Forever. These would include flamethrowers on top of and minimal yet noticeable projection mapping on the Chinese Theater. The flamethrowers may come sooner as testing may currently be occurring after-hours.
Awesome. Fireworks at DHS are always cool... a big problem has always been the launch points are so close that the area gets incredibly smoky, thus resulting in a clouded finale.

Thankfully, the new firework barges that will be built across the street should fix that.

On the topic of DHS overhaul though, permits were filed for the Pizza Planet work (danlb_2000 originally found the permit over at Magic), which, if you look at the blueprint, seems to cover both Pizza Planet AND Mama Melrose. The end date for this permit is 11/30/2017. The Pizza Planet building is scheduled to open back up this November, likely with a new theme. I'd wager that Mama Melrose will close in January 2017 considering it is on the plans and will open by November of 2017.

pizzaplanet_zpsmth5jsfy.jpg

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
This permit was filed in late November with the South Florida Water Management District for the land across World Drive (behind the park). It's more of a launch site than a barge... bad wording on my part:

fireworks_zpstqltevea.jpg
So, the fallout zone from the new pyro bunker is going to be forest and World Drive? I wonder if traffic on World Drive will slow down and/or stop to watch the fireworks?

Awesome. Fireworks at DHS are always cool... a big problem has always been the launch points are so close that the area gets incredibly smoky, thus resulting in a clouded finale.

The Star Wars fireworks I saw last year were SO GOOD that I actually got annoyed that they haven't been doing amazing fireworks shows like that regularly for years. I just didn't think they could there for some reason.

Reactions: princeinc
Wow. Not unexpected, but it will sure cause the park to lose a lot of capacity.
Not really, tbh. They've only been doing 2 shows a day for the most part and the shows rarely fill up. Loss of capacity? Yeah. But not huge. Of course in a park that's in DHS' shape, any closure hurts.

This is good news that we have official news of a closing date though... Should mean that with literally that entire backside of the park closed, work on the new lands should really start to begin and the bulldozers, wrecking balls, dumpsters, etc can be wheeled in. Tear that place a part.

This is good news that we have official news of a closing date though... Should mean that with literally that entire backside of the park closed, work on the new lands should really start to begin and the bulldozers, wrecking balls, dumpsters, etc can be wheeled in. Tear that place a part.

So it'll probably sit unused for several months. LMA's an expensive show to operate which is a big motivator for Disney to close it.

Last edited:
Interesting strategy. I thought they would try and keep that one open as long as possible since it technically is not being replaced yet. I have no clue what they are doing, but DHS is going to be a hot mess until TSL opens in 2017 and even then it is still going to be a mess, just not as much.

Reactions: Brian G.