Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 74 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah I am comparing them. Both had almost equal amount of hype and at least for me I didn't hear as much hype for spiderman. But I am biased anyway because screens are just now starting to do it for me (potter) I'm a coaster junkie.
I'm a coaster junkie as well, but there's no way a B&M Coaster (commonplace, your local six flags features several) "started it all" when it comes to IOA. That sentence is absurd.

Reactions: s8film40
I'm a coaster junkie as well, but there's no way a B&M Coaster (commonplace, your local six flags features several) "started it all" when it comes to IOA. That sentence is absurd.
There is no six flags in Florida and I never cared for them. I may be over thinking this, but I don't know another b&m that ended up as iconic as hulk.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Does anyone else think all the talk about kill dr.dooms is so disappointing? I absolutely love the creativity of that queue. I mean the ride is short but I think it just fits in so well as a marvel counterpart. Let's make it 200ft taller and launch from 45 to 70..

Last edited:
Does anyone else think all the talk about kill dr.dooms is so disappointing? I absolutely love the creativity of that queue. I mean the ride is short but I think it just fits in so well as a marvel counterpart. Let's make it 200ft taller and launch from 45 to 70..
Yeah, I agree on the queue. I never went through it the first few years I was at Universal since I had Express Passes. Then, two years ago when we were there, there was no line one day, so I went through the regular standby line just to see what the queue was about, and was pleasantly pleased at how good it was.

Well, after some further conversation. We cannot throw our names into the extended ride hat rumor.

Well that is good news. If the basic design ain't broke. Again... not a clue here... except...

...it is hype based on another concept that will be promoted by marketing. This is the new thing coming. Many of you will scoff like crazy. I have hinted at it before.

Last edited:
Well, after some further conversation. We cannot throw our names into the extended ride hat rumor.

I didn't buy that at all. 45 seconds with a coaster is a lot to add, especially knowing that no additional track was being added. Where they could have added show scenes, only one would really be worthwhile (the launch tube).

Reactions: IzzyB
Interesting Hulk trivia from Seth Kubersky's Universal Orlando book 2011 edition. I'm sure Teebin & the some of the tech experts here know this, but for those of us that aren't engineering/design people, it's kind of cool..."The initial thrust of this ride consumes so much power that, if the needed electricity were drawn directly from Orlando's electric supply, lights across town would dim every time a new coaster was launched". (shades of Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation ) " So Universal draws power at a steady rate from the city's power grid and stores it in a huge flywheel hidden in the greenish building by the Inland Sea labeled "Power Supply". This enables them to get the power they need for that first heart stopping effect without inconveniencing their neighbors".

This enables them to get the power they need for that first heart stopping effect without inconveniencing their neighbors".

I have heard this for years, but don't know if it is true or just sorta true and mostly hype to sell the attraction. If NYC can handle thrusting hundreds of subways trains forward hour after hour, I would guess it is hype and mostly untrue.

I have heard this for years, but don't know if it is true or just sorta true and mostly hype to sell the attraction. If NYC can handle thrusting hundreds of subways trains forward hour after hour, I would guess it is hype and mostly untrue.
Well, it is a good story , if just that.......I was reading through Seth's description because I wanted to see the time he listed for the ride, since Unknown's "rumor" says 2 minutes 15 seconds increasing from the previous 1 minute 30 seconds. Seth usually stop watches everything, so I thought I could get an accurate time from the book. A coaster writer/poster on TPI had stated in his post today that the original Hulk time was 2 minutes 15 seconds, not 1 minute 30 seconds. Seth, in his book, clocks the Hulk at 1.5 minutes.

Last edited:
I didn't buy that at all. 45 seconds with a coaster is a lot to add, especially knowing that no additional track was being added. Where they could have added show scenes, only one would really be worthwhile (the launch tube).
I only rode the Hulk a few times so I can't recall. Does the coaster come to a complete stop before it launches or does it coast in before acceleration? I would guess if it had a 45 second show scene, it would probably have to come to a complete stop before launch. Is that workable?

I only rode the Hulk a few times so I can't recall. Does the coaster come to a complete stop before it launches or does it coast in before acceleration? I would guess if it had a 45 second show scene, it would probably have to come to a complete stop before launch. Is that workable?

It coasted in and continued up the first half at about the same speed it left the station at until the launch initiated. It never came to a complete stop. Stopping and holding it would likely require a different launch system, as I'm not sure how well the tire system could hold a train at a stop at that angle. It is likely good enough to momentarily stop them and bring them back slowly to the short section immediately after the station, where I believe there was a standard brake fixture (let me watch a few videos to try and confirm) where it would likely hold as a block.

EDIT: Nope, no normal brake fixture, just a series of solid kicker wheels, which should be able to hold the train as a block since most of it would be level at that point. Any former (current) Hulk TMs that could comment on the post-station blocking?

EDIT #2: To further clarify, the kicker wheels at the base of the launch area are the solid wheels you typically see accompanying block brakes, while the actual launch tires are more "normal" tires.

Last edited: