Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

I think Mako is going to become a very popular coaster with all that airtime!

Hulk is a staple of IOA. When they tore the old coaster out, something just didn't seem right when walking towards the park. It's like seeing Space Mountain while riding the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom or the Tower or Terror looming over DHS. You expect to see it there.

Absolutely, a work of art any way you look at it.

People do love coasters, as I said me included. The Hulk is among the king of coasters for its well design. Thrills are often gimmick and numbers. I hope Mako is a good as design as Kraken and Manta.

But the answer to the question was honest. A visceral ride that the majority of the family experiences together makes more money in the gift shop. Families spend more money.

You know, I hear this a lot, and I kind of don't agree at all. Universal is not Disney. They have never been Disney. They will never be Disney. I'm hoping quite a bit that park 3 has 1 or 2 real coasters in it like IoA does

You know, I hear this a lot, and I kind of don't agree at all. Universal is not Disney. They have never been Disney. They will never be Disney. I'm hoping quite a bit that park 3 has 1 or 2 real coasters in it like IoA does

Given how well themed everything Universal has done recently, I wonder how they would go about adding coasters like this.

I see where you are coming from, and thrills have their place but what I stated above is a time tested fact. You have to have a variety and appeal and families DO spend the most money collectively. If you read what I was responding to it was answering the question on why major FL parks have not had a Kingda Ka sized attraction or build a park full of mega thrills over 200 feet tall.
Disney did not invent appealing to families as the biggest audience, they are just the most known for it. If you look at Universal history they saught to have more family friendly rides initially in IOA and struggled to get them into Universal. The original tram tour translations were great for a riding audience, but appeal was lacking later on. Universal does not have to be Disney, but they will always go after families over thrills. I was just answering the question why you don't have mega thrills that the likes of Cedar Point, Six Flags or even Busch Gardens have.

UOR is a great example of variety.
its the same reason water parks in Orlando have more than just drop slides. You want close to 80-90 percent of your park's guests in a day to be accessible(even if not enjoyed) by all.

Last edited:
I am amazed that they put walls up around the teacups, it looks like they couldn't just tell the workers not to fling junk in that direction.

How long til they close this?
The fences were installed to block the ride from dust, machinery and other construction hazards, the state of Rhode Island has us do this when we are doing large jobs like this.

I agree with this, but I also think Orlando is already over saturated with "all ages" rides. We need more adventurous coasters. Thank goodness for Sea World picking up the torch after UOR decided to let go.

Last I checked Hulk was still one of the most popular rides, with the longest waits in the park. People love coasters, and there is definitely a lack of them in the Orlando/Disney area.
My sentiment exactly. Universal will play catch up with Disney for a long time I mean Disney was here from the beginning and I believe universal realizes that. I think it works out for universal not appealing to the family in its entirety, but having just enough to satisfy, they're dominating on that front. Orlando's themed thrills do attract people from all over the world, but there is a huge percentage of park goers that do look past orlando because of the "tameness" if u will, of our coasters. Honestly I have never been scared to ride not 1 coaster in Florida and still am not. The scariest thing in the state is falcons fury at busch hands down. So yay seaworld for kicking it off, and universal and Busch come and hop on and push the envelope for those over the top thrills!

My sentiment exactly. Universal will play catch up with Disney for a long time I mean Disney was here from the beginning and I believe universal realizes that. I think it works out for universal not appealing to the family in its entirety, but having just enough to satisfy, they're dominating on that front. Orlando's themed thrills do attract people from all over the world, but there is a huge percentage of park goers that do look past orlando because of the "tameness" if u will, of our coasters. Honestly I have never been scared to ride not 1 coaster in Florida and still am not. The scariest thing in the state is falcons fury at busch hands down. So yay seaworld for kicking it off, and universal and Busch hop on and push the envelope for those over the top thrills!

I'm still on the fence about riding Falcon's Fury. I don't see Mako as being that extreme of a ride or really pushing the envelope out for coasters in Orlando. Since I'm a tourist, I count Busch Gardens in the same area as Orlando as I'll always make one trip there and Mako is only 5ft taller than Sheikra and I don't think it will be any where near as scary.

I'm still on the fence about riding Falcon's Fury. I don't see Mako as being that extreme of a ride or really pushing the envelope out for coasters in Orlando. Since I'm a tourist, I count Busch Gardens in the same area as Orlando as I'll always make one trip there and Mako is only 5ft taller than Sheikra and I don't think it will be any where near as scary.
Yeah sheikra is more intense than mako I must admit I slipped on sheikra. I'm just speaking in the aspect of hyper-coasters and such like mako that give us the speed and extra airtime thrill. Mako is a great starting point with that plethora of airtime.

Yeah sheikra is more intense than mako I must admit I slipped on sheikra. I'm just speaking in the aspect of hyper-coasters and such like mako that give us the speed and extra airtime thrill. Mako is a great starting point with that plethora of airtime.

I think Mako also marks a new start for SeaWorld. It seems like a lot of people who haven't visited in a long time have a reason to again and if SeaWorld can offer a good experience, people should hopefully return.

I think depending on how well reviewed Mako is, it will be interesting to see what the future of coasters in Orlando is, especially when Universal start building their 3rd gate and aren't limited by the 200ft heigh limit.

And I started it so let me say "back to hulk" before one the thread police's come woop woop.

For a smooth transition back to the topic, Mako is only 6mph faster than Hulk. It shows how much the launch adds to the ride.

Speaking of height limits, why does the Hulk have red lights at the cobra roll when it only seems necessary on heights above 200ft?

Not to derail the "who has the biggest coaster" talk but I went up and took a first hand look today. They have a ton of work left to do on this. A lot of plumbing/conduit brackets have to be installed then all that plumbing run. Very little has been done in that direction yet. Some out in the pond but even there more remains to be done than has been done. It sure is shiny and clean though. I want to see the finished tunnel before I decide if I like it, the colors seem good but there are brackets to be installed and painted yet. Didn't look at the building much as we know it is a work in progress. Woody came up to me and I asked if he would fly up and take a look but he wouldn't play. Guess he had kids to entertain.

Not to derail the "who has the biggest coaster" talk but I went up and took a first hand look today. They have a ton of work left to do on this. A lot of plumbing/conduit brackets have to be installed then all that plumbing run. Very little has been done in that direction yet. Some out in the pond but even there more remains to be done than has been done. It sure is shiny and clean though. I want to see the finished tunnel before I decide if I like it, the colors seem good but there are brackets to be installed and painted yet. Didn't look at the building much as we know it is a work in progress. Woody came up to me and I asked if he would fly up and take a look but he wouldn't play. Guess he had kids to entertain.

Building the coaster was probably the easy part in this project. I think this shows the difference between Universal and any other theme park building a B&M coaster (This isn't a dig at SeaWorld). Universal is making the queue as much of an experience as the ride itself where as other coasters, the queue is just some where you wait to ride.

There are now grey striped on the launch tube. Could these be LED'so for a lighting effect? I hope so because that would be a cool feature. Thanks Bioreconstruct for the tweet.

Check out @bioreconstruct's Tweet:

Last edited:
There are now grey striped on the launch tube. Could these be LED'so for a lighting effect? I hope so because that would be a cool feature. Thanks Bioreconstruct for the tweet.

Check out @bioreconstruct's Tweet:

Let's just say those are LEDs.

EgnItbF.jpg