Shanghai Disneyland | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Shanghai Disneyland

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I dunno... even if the First Order ride is like this I couldn't imagine it being as impressive.

Pirates being on a boat in water just instantly makes it seem that much more impressive.

What Disney has done with Shanghai's Pirates beats out everything Universal has ever done…unless Kong turns out to be better. But my word. So. Much. Flash. 

But it would be great to get that Jetpack ride and that Tron coaster. Heck, just "Tronify" all of our Tomorrowland to make it look great again. 

Well at least they should put an stop to the whole urinating/pooping anywhere and everywhere thing.

Right, but you should also be aware of Shanghaiist's motives.

Again, traveling to a country in person is quite different than viewing unflattering photos on the web.

Reactions: BernardMesa

Oh I didn't read that specific article. Already gathered what I knew was reported by reading the billion other ones that amassed a week or so back.

Aside from the sanitary stuff, everything else was kind of overblown IMO. Yet I am fascinated with the class divide and am curious if this really is affecting the actual theme park itself, or if Disney is employing and training a surprisingly strict staff in an effort to avoid more of these headlines.

But it would be great to get that Jetpack ride and that Tron coaster. Heck, just "Tronify" all of our Tomorrowland to make it look great again. 

Also I want dem Jet Packs.

Reactions: BernardMesa

Again, traveling to a country in person is quite different than viewing unflattering photos on the web.

Oh I didn't read that specific article. Already gathered what I knew was reported by reading the billion other ones that amassed a week or so back.

Aside from the sanitary stuff, everything else was kind of overblown IMO. Yet I am fascinated with the class divide and am curious if this really is affecting the actual theme park itself, or if Disney is employing and training a surprisingly strict staff in an effort to avoid more of these headlines.

This was the first article on the issue I had seen, glad to hear this issue wasn't as big as it was made out to be.

Fatality, I want to like you because you've got good humor. But you push a little too hard into jabs and it needs to stop.
It uses something called the "parallax effect" to give the impression of being 3D. Watch Matthew Finnemore's video (the high quality one), specifically from 2:15-2:30. The entire projection is being manipulated to focus on the point-of-view of the ride vehicle. You may not be able to tell on the video, but our brain cannot tell the difference between 2D and 3D when that is happening in person. Since iOS 7, the iPhone, iPad, etc, has used this "effect" on the home screen(assuming you don't turn it off). If you have an iPhone, iPad,etc. go to a page of app icons, focus on the icons (not the wallpaper), and slowly rotate your device in a pitch or roll movement. See it?
A benefit to this over normal "3D", is that many get headaches from 3D because our brain gets confused by the conflicting images. This doesn't happen with the parallax effect because it uses perspective and brain trickery instead.

I find it INCREDIBLE that is being used on such a large scale. Never before has this been used on a theme park attraction.

Wait but... Okay not to bring your point down, that effect is amazing and was executed perfectly here, but it's called squenching and made its most prominent debut on The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man 17 years ago, combined with 3D as well as a motion arm base.

Fatality, I want to like you because you've got good humor. But you push a little too hard into jabs and it needs to stop.

Wait but... Okay not to bring your point down, that effect is amazing and was executed perfectly here, but it's called squenching and made its most prominent debut on The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man 17 years ago, combined with 3D as well as a motion arm base.
You're gonna call this a jab but Teebin kinda already pointed this out and it's been the topic of discussion for the last 20 or so posts.

Wondering if the Shanghai Pirates ride design is what we are going to see in the new Star Wars ride when they open here.........

I think it's worth noting that a lot of the screen tech/Sparrow for Shanghai's POTC was tested at the horrible Legend of Jack Sparrow thing at DHS. The projection tech was literally the only thing impressive about that poor thing so i'm not surprised with the end result of this ride.

Reactions: misterID and Teebin
I think it's worth noting that a lot of the screen tech/Sparrow for Shanghai's POTC was tested at the horrible Legend of Jack Sparrow thing at DHS. The projection tech was literally the only thing impressive about that poor thing so i'm not surprised with the end result of this ride.
Jack's introduction was very cool.

And as for the dead spots, I don't mind lulls in the action between sets for a longer ride.

Goodness, Ricky and ITM stole that guy's video. Technically they give credit, but you have to search for it.

*removed video because I don't want to give ITM any clicks*

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that doesn't come across in video well is how much layered Musion-like tech is used to provide depth. It just comes off as flat 2D. It's probably said elsewhere in this thread, but this is the Hollywood Studios "Legend of Jack Sparrow" tech pushed to its limits.