Disney Springs Discussion | Page 60 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Springs Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I absolutely love the spring that they built. I'm a huge fan of the springs here in Florida, and the one that they made looks so beautiful/real. The rest looks real nice too.

And i'll even be honest and clarify something: After my visit there yesterday, I realized that a lot of people besides just the ill-informed will be using those directories. The place is simply huge and for many people, it's completely redone since they'll have last been there. I even found myself using it once.

And thus your theme park fandom street cred drifted away on the crystal clear springs..

SO I checked it out today ( will have more pics later ) but I'm going to echo that it basically is a glorified outlet mall. It's done very well, and themed nicely; but it reminds me of an outdoor mall back home called Pembroke Gardens. In fact, I couldn't help but realize that the music that was playing reminded me of general mall music- nothing really "Disney" about it. The springs themselves are beautifully done so it adds character to some of Town Center.

With that said, the stars are obviously the new food options. Sprinkles had a pretty good line, maybe 20-25 min. I wanted to check it out, but no cupcake is worth waiting for. D-Luxe was walk-in. I ordered the BBQ Burger with an order of fries along with the Curry Ketchup and Garlic Ranch dipping sauce. I know there was a lot of concern initially about the lack of "quick dining options" so this was one hell of an addition.

IMG_7590.JPG

The burger was a home-run and both sauces were great. Burger was cooked perfectly, the onion ring & lettuce was crisp, and the bread had a great taste to it. I hope they maintain this level of quality, because I already have my eye on El Diablo burger.

We do all realize that World Showcase as it exists is a glorified mall, right?

So I'm not anti mall or shopping as a theme park destination inclusion. Citywalk and Downtown Disney at Disneyland serve a purpose and give people options outside of those parks - primarily as they flow into and out of the parks.

Disney Springs has to stand alone. It would never sell a park admission ticket. That's the problem. When Downtown Disney had PI it did. Epcot's World Showcase does (the after 4pm Epcot pass holders rarely use it for rides, they go to World Showcase to dine and shop.)

Reactions: SeventyOne
because that's something I really care about...

I enjoy the parks, I could care less about what people think of my opinions/actions.

Aww. That's no fun. I always imagined if you were a dland local you'd be one of the social clubs that wears a leather biker jacket that says "Friends of Figment" or "Dreamfinder is my copilot."

Aww. That's no fun. I always imagined if you were a dland local you'd be one of the social clubs that wears a leather biker jacket that says "Friends of Figment" or "Dreamfinder is my copilot."
I never truly knew dreamfinder or the original figment so I couldn't care less. I do want them to redo the ride, but that's about it. I didn't start coming to WDW on a regular basis until much of the what the "purists" talk about was already gone. So my view on WDW are slightly more liberal because of that, but I still don't give them a pass for things like Frozen in Norway.

In fact, I couldn't help but realize that the music that was playing reminded me of general mall music- nothing really "Disney" about it.

Thanks so much for bringing this up. I think that's one of the biggest reasons that I didn't like the rest of DS (what was open) when I went a couple months ago versus the Marketplace. The music makes such a big difference and a Disney mall needs Disney music.

Reactions: Miketheboss
The background music, definitely didn't leave an imprint for me. I don't even remember what it sounded like. The music over by the Marketplace Causeway though is beautiful (Disney music done in more of a classical style - instrumental only).

In my opinion and experience there are varying degrees of tourists, but there most definitely are dumb tourists. As you said your a tourist and your not dumb, we need to be specific rather than just saying "tourist".

Agreed. The other day I was at Universal and this family was very confused it seemed. They asked me what there was to do with their child. So I went thru the rides they could do. They then told me a story about how they thought this was Disney and they had a 4 day pass for Disney. So they did AK the day before but when getting to her they bought an express pass and then realized their tickets didn't work here. Since they already spent money they then cashed the express for tickets. But they didn't really look to see what the parks offered. Because their son was into Spiderman but they were in studios. Not to mention I asked how tall their son was and they told me 46" yet he was a good 6 inches shorter than my daughter who is 45". So yes, there are dumb tourists that do zero research as to what they are doing. Because people should not mix up parks, but yet they do.

Reactions: Nick
I am really sick of the words "Dumb Tourist". These are people who are on vacation to rest their brains, turn them off even, and be directed. There is no rule that one must be on their sharpest awareness in Orlando or Atlantis or St Lucia. That is not why they visit these places.
I do think that if you are spending thousands of dollars to go somewhere though, you should do at least minimal research. The kind that prevents you from buying Uni passes and ending up at DHS or vice-versa.

The desire to shut ones brain off is not something I think we should promote.

If anything we should encourage most people to think more. Brain off seems to be the daily default.

One does wonder how some folks make it as far as they do into the parks before the brain-off becomes a major issue.

Reactions: Quint
Also... "And be directed."

If they actually took direction this might be plausible. Instead it's:

"No bags."
"What about this bag?"
"No bags."
"Not even this bag?"
"No bags."
"What if I put my smaller bag in this bigger bag?"
"No bags!!!!"

I am really sick of the words "Dumb Tourist". These are people who are on vacation to rest their brains, turn them off even, and be directed. There is no rule that one must be on their sharpest awareness in Orlando or Atlantis or St Lucia. That is not why they visit these places.

I agree with this to a point. I think vacations should be relaxing and a time to shut down a little. However, when planning a vacation BEFORE going on vacation people should do small amounts of research. Even bringing up the website of the two parks should be enough for someone to realize that Disney and Universal are not the same park. So I agree, on vacation turn off, so I forgive the smaller things when people don't pay attention or things like that. But the stuff that should be pre planned like where you are going and what there is to do at that park should kind of be done in advance. I mean the guy had the Disney app and knew to get fast passes, how the heck did he not end up in the right park?

It's really more of an observation than anything else. If we don't identify them as dumb tourist it doesn't change anything. I do agree with your point though to a certain extent. People should be able to relax and enjoy themeselves and not have to spend all their time figuring things out. That being said there are a good number of tourist who do some really dumb things that turn out to be detrimental to their experience. I'll give you one example. I was talking to a lady at DAKL who had ordered a taxi to Universal. She had just arrived at the resort and this was in the evening around 6:00. I just so happened to have checked the hours for the park that day and they closed at 8:00. So I asked her why she was going when she would only have an hour. She said well we have the tickets we might as well use them. I asked her what type of ticket she got, she said I don't know their on this and held up her magic band. After I explained some things to her she canceled her taxi and got a bus to a Disney park. Here's an example of someone who turned their brain off and was ready to enjoy themeselves, however she was about to take a $100+ round trip taxi ride to a park she didn't have tickets for and completely ruin her evening. If I just hadn't happened to have a conversation with her no one would have directed her to the right place.

Reactions: Nick