Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 347 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So, manual mode on a major attraction like this. What does manual mean? I was REALLY surprised to find out there was one or two people standing on the lighting catwalks for the testing of this ride. I am not even sure if this has ceased. They were up there watching the vehicles traverse the track and if anything went wrong, they had KILL switches in there hands. Apparently, video ain't fast enough. It has since occurred to me that this also took place on Gringotts etc.

Isn't this new and fascinating? I for one never knew this.

Restricted areas are generally just ride track. Catwalks are not off limits as long as they are isolated from the ride track/show animation. So being up on catwalks while the ride is in operation is no big deal at all.

Manual can mean many things. In general, the ride will run itself unless told to do so otherwise. For example, they use it on River Adventure to enable "Unload Bypass." The boats will skip unload and therefore will only require on person (a technician) in controls to run the ride. Other things can also be bypassed.

Well that just seems like a general lack of safety procedures.

I guess that is what the OSHA Hardhats are for... all of these attractions are dangerous as hell. Just ask the woman that died being mowed off the ride platform on Primeval Whirl. A horrid and tragic error on the part of Disney operations. I wouldn't be surprised that she was nervous about ripping her Disney uniform and having to pay for a new one.

In addition to the technical problems, I heard from an Insider last week that Universal Marketing was pushing hard against an early soft opening because it would hurt their selling of vacation packages. Apparently that happened with HP Hollywood.

So, manual mode on a major attraction like this. What does manual mean? I was REALLY surprised to find out there was one or two people standing on the lighting catwalks for the testing of this ride. I am not even sure if this has ceased. They were up there watching the vehicles traverse the track and if anything went wrong, they had KILL switches in there hands. Apparently, video ain't fast enough. It has since occurred to me that this also took place on Gringotts etc.

Isn't this new and fascinating? I for one never knew this.

Is manual mode also somebody wearing a monkey suit inside the ride?

Yes.. the safety systems (intrusion mats, beams, etc..) can be disabled and vehicles can be moved around manually.

It's actually how/when most damage to ride systems occurs. Normally the failsafes of the operation prevent vehicles and show objects from getting anywhere near each other. Vehicles hitting each other and show doors closing on vehicles and such tend to happen in the manual mode.

Each ride system is a little different, so just how much can be moved or how it is moved varies, but people walking around inside of the ride (but outside the ride envelope) is pretty common too.
Exactly this^^
Gringotts had team members stationed at each scene during commissioning. They always had an E-Stop button within reach to stop the ride if something went wrong. The team members that work this "commissioning" time have some crazy stories to tell.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
In addition to the technical problems, I heard from an Insider last week that Universal Marketing was pushing hard against an early soft opening because it would hurt their selling of vacation packages. Apparently that happened with HP Hollywood.

That is interesting. I figured HP is the flagship for Universal. Packaging a trip around RoK seems nowhere near as profitable as the current HP packages. Who knows!? time will tell if they do softs or nut huh.

Newest IU podcast is with Jim Hill who talks briefly about Kong at the 33 min mark and does a short synopsis of the ride itself: (048) Inside Universal Podcast – May 16, 2016 – Jim Hill – Inside Universal (spoilers obviously)

Also wasn't Kongfrontation operated on manual mode on the first day of USF operations? I recall that the head of show actually puppeteered the final Kong AA live throughout nearly the entire time the ride was open that day.

Also wasn't Kongfrontation operated on manual mode on the first day of USF operations? I recall that the head of show actually puppeteered the final Kong AA live throughout nearly the entire time the ride was open that day.

Yes, this is true. The Animatronics were not meeting programming goals of not interfering with the ride envalope(the area/ride path that the tram actually goes through.) There was a good chance of the arms of Kong not meeting timing and actually hitting the vehicles, thus causing major issues.

He was particularly nervous when Steven Spielberg's friend took a ride.

Well that just seems like a general lack of safety procedures. And a general ignorance of electric trackless ride systems as well... Backstage at Energy there's an old 1980's period Donald Duck plush with obvious treadmarks across his body and tears in his fabric, etc.. He's pinned to the wall with a note "Remain seated INSIDE the vehicle at all times."

And the Kong vehicles must have "bumpers" right? Essentially intrusion mats stuck to the front/side/rear of the vehicle that detect a collision and stop the vehicle.. no?

The VLC chassis these RVs are built on have a proximity sensor network preinstalled on the base chassis. It's standard for an autonomous vehicle. I would be willing to guarantee that UC utilized this for the primary emergency stop due to proximity on the vehicles. It wouldn't of made sense to not use a feature included on the chassis. But I'm sure that's just one of the many security features onboard.

The turns are sort of ridiculously tight for a vehicle of that size, so it allows them to make the turns tighter and thus take up less space with the ride path.

Completely agree. I remember when I first saw the layout of the exterior track loop. I was saying oh boy is that rig going to need four wheel steering haha

I am still hoping for some show elements to utilize with that four wheel steering capability. You can really simulate sliding on some mud or being pushed awkwardly by turning a couple or a few wheels at a time rather than four. Pair that with being surrounded by a 3D tunnel screen or scary practical effects and you have some fun.

I am still hoping for some show elements to utilize with that four wheel steering capability. You can really simulate sliding on some mud or being pushed awkwardly by turning a couple or a few wheels at a time rather than four. Pair that with being surrounded by a 3D tunnel screen or scary practical effects and you have some fun.

I don't believe they diddle with it that way at all. It is merely a utility for this attraction, not a show element.

Reactions: Eckert and Mike S