Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster

I'm hearing that Mako will be soft opening every day up to the AP Preview Day on the 8th, but don't interpret this as a concrete statement. Also, by Sunday the ticket system should be out of use and a normal soft open should occur.
Cool, I will go on Monday and hope for the best.

Softs began around 1 today. I got in two rides.... man thats some airtime in the back!!! But yeah that queue is gonna be a killer in the summer, even with the misters and fans

Mako is open today!!!! Just rode twice and going again. There are no lines and according to a manager who came over to rope drop they will be operating all day unless have to shut down for issues. This coaster is awesome!! I'm from Atlanta and we have Goliath but this coaster is silky smooth!!! Have fun

I got to ride five times yesterday, it is super fun! I'm not usually the type who gets anything out of putting his arms up in the air on a coaster, but I tried it on my second go around and it made like 50% more fun. I also recommend if you're wearing flip flops putting them in the loose article bins on the exit side. Most of my group had their feet dangling regardless of height, and found it kind of distracting to clench your feet to keep your flip flops from flying off.

I'll also echo what others have said about the queue. It's really inexcusable in this day and age to have a bare bones open air switchback pen like this, especially when you have Manta right at the front of the park with a fantastic queue. I'm really surprised they didn't at least partially route the queue through the existing Shark Encounter and split off a non-rider like Manta has.

Just rode 3 times in a row. 10-15 minute waits right now (2:30p).

Ride is great and full of airtime. The trim is a little bit of a bummer and the mid course break run really puts the breaks on.

It's full of speed, airtime and down right fun. My favorite part is the small hill right before that mid course break run. So fun. SW has a hit.

On another note, I'm Shrek sized and able to get 1-2 clicks for the indicator to show. As a point of reference, I can ride FJ and Hulk/Dragons/Sheikra/Montu/Kumba in the big boy seats.

I made an effort in early April to start dropping some weight, 13.5lbs down so far, and glad I did.

Enjoy the airtime.

Wait? I have to take off my regular glasses? That is not gonna be cool. I can't see without my glasses and I am not supposed to wear my contacts right now. Argh! Might have to take my contacts and then just put them in for this ride.

I agree with devin, when it comes to customer service normally SW is top notch. I never had issues at Sea World with my son, every employee was helpful and understanding to our needs. First Aid was awesome. Best First Aid ever! They are there 24/7 so they had zero issues storing things and they made a point that we did not need to rush back at park close, to take our time. I cannot say the same about Disney or Universal First Aid and cannot say the same about Universal Customer Service.

I imagine they have gotten yelled at several times and wanted to make a point so it wouldn't be done again.
Just rode 3 times in a row. 10-15 minute waits right now (2:30p).

Ride is great and full of airtime. The trim is a little bit of a bummer and the mid course break run really puts the breaks on.

It's full of speed, airtime and down right fun. My favorite part is the small hill right before that mid course break run. So fun. SW has a hit.

On another note, I'm Shrek sized and able to get 1-2 clicks for the indicator to show. As a point of reference, I can ride FJ and Hulk/Dragons/Sheikra/Montu/Kumba in the big boy seats.

I made an effort in early April to start dropping some weight, 13.5lbs down so far, and glad I did.

Enjoy the airtime.
If I may ask, are your legs shrek sized too or just your upper body? And I thought 3 clicks was the minimum?

My wife and I weren't asked about our sunglasses on the 3 rides.

As for the clicks, I don't remember there being any before the go indicator showed but thinking about it now I'm sure there were.

The number I was referring to was the number from no-go indicator to go. So some rides I got a click with the go line showing and then another click with more indicator showing. Other rides I couldn't pull more than getting to the first click that showed the go line.

My upper legs aren't small but I certainly carry most of the weight in my torso.

I was planning on going on Monday, but wound up going today due to the storm tomorrow. The coaster is AWESOME. Mako wasn't far off of my expectations for it. I compared it to Apollo's Chariot and Intimidator (Carowinds) for obvious reasons, but I personally believe it was better than the previous. The trim after the hammerhead turn is definitely a bummer, but the entire ride is smooth and packed with airtime. After 6 rides today, I can definitely say it is Florida's best coaster. Row 7 on the left is the money seat. The queue isn't elaborate, but it does the job. I will say, however, the section of the queue that is underneath the station is miserably hot. Air doesn't seem to circulate, and when you're surrounded by a few hundred of your closest friends, it turns into a little shark oven. The station is lovely, keeping with the shipwreck theme, and the show effect with the dispatch is a nice touch. I'm glad to see that it, like Fury 325, had a large dispatch monitor in the station for the ride attendants. Seems like most new B&M hypers are getting those.

Overall, Shark Wreck Reef as a whole definitely impressed me, and SeaWorld as a whole continues to with their theming of each new attraction. The emphasis certainly is on education, especially for the non-riders. Interactive little sets line the street leading up to the ride for the younger guests to explore.

I was planning on going on Monday, but wound up going today due to the storm tomorrow. The coaster is AWESOME. Mako wasn't far off of my expectations for it. I compared it to Apollo's Chariot and Intimidator (Carowinds) for obvious reasons, but I personally believe it was better than the previous. The trim after the hammerhead turn is definitely a bummer, but the entire ride is smooth and packed with airtime. After 6 rides today, I can definitely say it is Florida's best coaster. Row 7 on the left is the money seat. The queue isn't elaborate, but it does the job. I will say, however, the section of the queue that is underneath the station is miserably hot. Air doesn't seem to circulate, and when you're surrounded by a few hundred of your closest friends, it turns into a little shark oven. The station is lovely, keeping with the shipwreck theme, and the show effect with the dispatch is a nice touch. I'm glad to see that it, like Fury 325, had a large dispatch monitor in the station for the ride attendants. Seems like most new B&M hypers are getting those.

Overall, Shark Wreck Reef as a whole definitely impressed me, and SeaWorld as a whole continues to with their theming of each new attraction. The emphasis certainly is on education, especially for the non-riders. Interactive little sets line the street leading up to the ride for the younger guests to explore.

Nice to see ya posting again. :thumbsup:

For everyone complaining about the trim brake, just remember that is controlled by the speed of the coaster. So if the trim is hitting hard, it's really because the train is moving faster than expected by the designers. That means you're getting a faster than expected ride before that trim brake and then taking the second half of the ride at the regular speed it was designed to run. In the morning and when the weather is cooler the trim will either not activate or just tap to adjust speeds as needed. While I'm not s huge fan of the train being slowed down abruptly, Claude and Walter are very picky about the way their rides run and the forces on riders being kept at proper tolerances. That's a big part of why B&M have a great safety record for riders.

For everyone complaining about the trim brake, just remember that is controlled by the speed of the coaster. So if the trim is hitting hard, it's really because the train is moving faster than expected by the designers. That means you're getting a faster than expected ride before that trim brake and then taking the second half of the ride at the regular speed it was designed to run. In the morning and when the weather is cooler the trim will either not activate or just tap to adjust speeds as needed. While I'm not s huge fan of the train being slowed down abruptly, Claude and Walter are very picky about the way their rides run and the forces on riders being kept at proper tolerances. That's a big part of why B&M have a great safety record for riders.
You mean you don't want to rupture your spleen during the ejector air time? Psh, kids today

Really? That kills my plans, I was going to head over soon. Wonder what is going on?
It was Bryan Nadeau who told me, said they are busy preparing for opening. There were a bunch of management people around. As someone said, seems they will use the theater for overflow,

It was Bryan Nadeau who told me, said they are busy preparing for opening. There were a bunch of management people around. As someone said, seems they will use the theater for overflow,

That's sucks. Which means they may not soft it again until opening? Odd.

Yep, the Nautilus and walkways all the way back to the Hospitality House. Guy Harvey is going to be there on the 10th signing for fans if anyone is interested. There's also now a Guy Harvey Shop as part of the Waterfront Shoppes too.

That's sucks. Which means they may not soft it again until opening? Odd.
There were a bunch of people at the top the lift hill at one stage as well, so maybe additional staff training in case of evacuations. Maybe the weather made them decide not to open as well. Honestly have no idea concerning softs for the rest of the week. Thursday is Media Day, so there will be nothing then.

Yep, the Nautilus and walkways all the way back to the Hospitality House. Guy Harvey is going to be there on the 10th signing for fans if anyone is interested. There's also now a Guy Harvey Shop as part of the Waterfront Shoppes too.
I thought of going to the opening, but doubt I will, I'll regret it because of the waits. I'll go next Monday. Park was very quiet today. They have barricades in place already, as you said, looks like you will have to walk all along the outside of the theater to the Gardens and then enter the theater through a side door. The managment people were mainly looking at the left side of the building, so I guess that is where you will come out again and enter the regular queue. Do you think it will really get that crazy with waits?