Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 418 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean, they don't feel too short, but when they're over I always feel the slight disappointment that it's over. Is this what @kearns96 was getting at?
I think Teebin's post above sums that up pretty well. Kind of like when a great Broadway play is over. It leaves you wanting more. That's an old show biz axiom. Always leave them wanting more....If it's lousy you don't want more. On a bad ride you can't wait for it to be over.

What does one mean by "pacing issues" with Gringotts? If it feels short, are you saying it also feels slow? The ride always seems to move pretty briskly for me. (I'd also rank it #1 at the resort right now, FYI.)

But an interesting discussion me and my friend had about Gringotts was that she told some other friends of ours that the wait time was 40 minutes. I said I thought it was 20 minutes. The difference is I count as soon as we're in the bank, we're IN and the attraction starts there for me. I hope Kong is the same way.

What does one mean by "pacing issues" with Gringotts? If it feels short, are you saying it also feels slow? The ride always seems to move pretty briskly for me. (I'd also rank it #1 at the resort right now, FYI.)

But an interesting discussion me and my friend had about Gringotts was that she told some other friends of ours that the wait time was 40 minutes. I said I thought it was 20 minutes. The difference is I count as soon as we're in the bank, we're IN and the attraction starts there for me. I hope Kong is the same way.

This may be a different issue, but the pacing on Gringotts has always felt really jarring to me. One moment you're whizzing through a set with some motion, and the next moment you're stopped and watching a screen play out. Rinse and repeat. Now, you could say that sounds pretty similar to Spidey/TF/FJ, right? Well, on those rides motion is pretty much constant - something interesting is generally happing at all times, screen or no screen. We get shocked by Electro in front of a screen, and we spin 360 degrees when not in front of a screen. We swoop down under Hagrid in front of a screen, and get thrown onto our backs when not in front of a screen. Etc, etc. On Gringotts, barring the short freefall segment, the ride basically comes to a complete halt whenever it parks in front of a screen (extremely minor troll footstep motion aside). Unlike other rides that have a pretty consistent sense of pace and momentum regardless if it's a screen-based scene or not, Gringotts constantly switches between two different paces: relatively-fast motion during transitions, and stopping dead with no motion (simulated or otherwise) in front of screens. At least to me, it makes the pace pretty difficult to get a handle on.

Like seriously.. spoilers.

636004849306092655-001.jpg
That guy was creepy!!!

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mad Dog
Only had 1 driver all 4 times, my luck of course. I got the native woman. I could hear the other trucks audio at load and unload though. They all start introducing themselves right after you leave the station. They talk a little bit about the island outside and going into the cave. Then I believe they don't say much until the end of the ride after kong, but my memory is lacking a bit on the audio side of things
I had a female and a male. Each had a slightly different story that affects the beginning and ending.

Enjoy guys:

Kong Write Up:

This is based on what I saw. I rode 4 times, all with the same driver, the former native woman. I might say something that is not accurate or incorrect and subsequent rides will clarify this.
I am an engineering student at heart, so I will include technical details and observations in parentheses like this “(((Test test test)))”.

Queue: Didn’t see much here, there is a room with an AA witch that performs a chant for Kong while fake fire effects flame up in unison. There are several hiding spots for natives that seem to have sound effects to go with it. So a scareactor might trigger a sound effect right before he pops out. Should make for a very tense queue. There is also a “hologram” native towards the beginning of the queue. There is a picture of this in the USA Today article. Also, right before the load platform you pass a bunch of “live animal crates” with speakers inside of them that are at ear level, which will definitely be startling if you are standing by it.

Load: Vehicles seem to move pretty quick through here, so no long wait for the batteries to charge. I’d say an average load time of about 60-90 seconds. (((Vehicles pulls in diagonally using its crab steering which was very cool to see. As it approaches the load platform its about 1 foot away, and then closes that gap by steering diagonally into the load platform.)))

Dispatch: A sound effect of the truck engine starting signifies the beginning of the ride. Your driver gives a short introduction about who they are and about the island. They also communicate to the camp base station. You leave the station and start a very small incline and then make a left out into the outside scene. (((If bad weather moves in and they want to bypass the outdoor section, you would go straight out of the station as opposed to going left. The bypass door is fairly visible on the right side of the vehicle. Also, I believe there is a show door that will close to block the outdoor track. If you dispatch from the station but the truck ahead of you isn’t far enough, the vehicle will come to a stop here to wait for the block ahead to clear.)))

Scene 1:

You immediately find yourself back outside on a very bumpy road. The driver continues to talk about the island and what you are here to do. I believe my driver had to deliver medicine to the base camp. As you begin to make your right hand turn back towards the gate, a loud sound effect plays as the gates begin to open. You get a very good view of the gates opening to your right. Then you begin to hear the chants of the natives as you approach the gates. I believe fire is supposed to shoot up as you pass through the gate but that wasn’t working when I rode.

Scene 2: This is a short scene that occurs immediately after you enter the gates. The vehicle slows to a stop next to a kong skeleton on the left and AA Bats hanging on the right side. The driver says something about the skeleton, which varies based on the driver.

Scene 3:

You then pull forward about 30 feet to the first screen (comparable to the size of the 2nd gringotts screen where the trolls throw you) on your left side and the vehicles stops. In this scene, you see another expedition truck being loaded by two men and a woman. The man says he needs more light and fires a flare into the cave. This causes a swarm of bats to start flying out of the cave, which are then followed by giant bats (not sure their official name). These bats try to lift up one of the guys but isn’t able to, and then picks up the girl and flies off with her, meanwhile the men start their expedition truck and chase after her. Your vehicle then starts moving forward again.

Scene 4. The vehicle makes a slight right hand turn and then parks on a motion base platform in front of another screen on the right side. (((There is a show door that is closed in front of the vehicle in this scene to block out light and noise from the 360 scene in the next room. Also, as soon as the vehicle comes to a stop there is some pretty noticeable pneumatic noise that comes from the motion base locking onto the ride vehicle.))) The scene begins with the girl being carried by the bat, who then drops her into a tar pit and falls into the tar itself. Then the tar begins moving and bubbling as the worm creatures (also not sure of their names) emerge from under the surface. The vehicles also begin to rock back and forth as if something is underneath it. The worms begin to attack the girl, along with giant spider and flying insects. The girl begins to flight back with a machete and gun which causes lot of bug guts (aka water) to fly into the vehicle. (((There is a themed wall on the right side of the vehicles that comes up to about seat level on the ride vehicle, this is to hide the motion base equipment and to house the water effects for the scene)))

Scene 5. The show doors open in front of the vehicle and it makes a slight left into the 360 room. The projections are already going when you enter, unlike Hollywood kong. You pull into the center of the room and come to a stop. (((More loud pneumatic noise as you park. Also, there are walls on either side of the vehicle that stand out a bit because they are unthemed and cover up a large part of the lower viewing area.))) This scene is very similar to the Hollywood kong from here on out. Kong fights the dinosaurs, and every time they get hit, a bit of dinosaur “spit” flies into the vehicles. One of the dinosaurs drags the other (virtual) expedition vehicle (which has now pulled up on your left) towards a cliff and another dinosaur begins pushing you that way as well. You eventually fall off the cliff but are eventually caught by kong. He puts you down, beats his chest, and then climbs over your vehicle and begins to climb back up out of the cliff.

Scene 6: Show doors in front of your vehicle open and you begin to move forward out of the 360 scene. Your driver comes over the speakers and radios to the base camp that they’ve found kong. You then make a gradual turn to the right and the vehicle slows as you pass kong on the right side. You are very close to his face and you can really see him checking out the ride vehicle and looking everyone over. He breathes into the ride vehicle (if you want to smell his breath sit in rows 4-6) and lets out a really loud roar.

Scene 7: Your vehicle completes it’s gradual right turn, continues straight for about 40 feet (((this is another block zone that the vehicle will stop in if the unload block is occupied. You CANNOT see kong from here. The vehicle then makes a 90 degree turn to the right and pulls into the unload station.

We experienced the queue by ourselves, and let me tell you, that thing is going to tear people apart. Detail is amazing, but it's so dark if you're visiting during the day that you're going to have a hard time seeing. At one point I had no idea where to go. Witch AA looked so fluid. Just like an actual person.
Now, the ride. This thing is a work of art and now my favorite at Islands of Adventure. It's got every single thing you want from a ride. Attention to detail, a compelling story (with a couple minor holes), a slight thrill factor, and a finale stringing together this experience.
ROW 6 FURTHEST RIGHT will have you centered with the monkey. He looks BEAUTIFUL and it was no joke about being able to feel his breath. Universal really knocked this one out of the park. My only real gripe with the ride is it feeling like it's over quickly than it really is. It might have been due to my excitement, but other than that, it was an experience I can't wait to have repeatedly.
Reign of Kong for me, I'll give it 4.5 banana peels/5

Last edited:
There's 3 holes for scareacters to pop out of. Very HHN like. Also, there's a lot of sounds in the queue that makes it creepy. Lots of moaning and wailing throughout. I rode it twice and saw different things each time. This is definitely a ride to go on over and over again. I will try and ride again later today because I think some of the effects that heard about were not on. My second ride seemed less intense than the first.

I rode close to the front the first time and had to turn my head all the way side to side to see. The second time I sat in the back. That was the time that it seemed less intense. Don't know if it was the location or things not working.

Enjoy guys:

Kong Write Up:

This is based on what I saw. I rode 4 times, all with the same driver, the former native woman. I might say something that is not accurate or incorrect and subsequent rides will clarify this.
I am an engineering student at heart, so I will include technical details and observations in parentheses like this “(((Test test test)))”.

Queue: Didn’t see much here, there is a room with an AA witch that performs a chant for Kong while fake fire effects flame up in unison. There are several hiding spots for natives that seem to have sound effects to go with it. So a scareactor might trigger a sound effect right before he pops out. Should make for a very tense queue. There is also a “hologram” native towards the beginning of the queue. There is a picture of this in the USA Today article. Also, right before the load platform you pass a bunch of “live animal crates” with speakers inside of them that are at ear level, which will definitely be startling if you are standing by it.

Load: Vehicles seem to move pretty quick through here, so no long wait for the batteries to charge. I’d say an average load time of about 60-90 seconds. (((Vehicles pulls in diagonally using its crab steering which was very cool to see. As it approaches the load platform its about 1 foot away, and then closes that gap by steering diagonally into the load platform.)))

Dispatch: A sound effect of the truck engine starting signifies the beginning of the ride. Your driver gives a short introduction about who they are and about the island. They also communicate to the camp base station. You leave the station and start a very small incline and then make a left out into the outside scene. (((If bad weather moves in and they want to bypass the outdoor section, you would go straight out of the station as opposed to going left. The bypass door is fairly visible on the right side of the vehicle. Also, I believe there is a show door that will close to block the outdoor track. If you dispatch from the station but the truck ahead of you isn’t far enough, the vehicle will come to a stop here to wait for the block ahead to clear.)))

Scene 1:

You immediately find yourself back outside on a very bumpy road. The driver continues to talk about the island and what you are here to do. I believe my driver had to deliver medicine to the base camp. As you begin to make your right hand turn back towards the gate, a loud sound effect plays as the gates begin to open. You get a very good view of the gates opening to your right. Then you begin to hear the chants of the natives as you approach the gates. I believe fire is supposed to shoot up as you pass through the gate but that wasn’t working when I rode.

Scene 2: This is a short scene that occurs immediately after you enter the gates. The vehicle slows to a stop next to a kong skeleton on the left and AA Bats hanging on the right side. The driver says something about the skeleton, which varies based on the driver.

Scene 3:

You then pull forward about 30 feet to the first screen (comparable to the size of the 2nd gringotts screen where the trolls throw you) on your left side and the vehicles stops. In this scene, you see another expedition truck being loaded by two men and a woman. The man says he needs more light and fires a flare into the cave. This causes a swarm of bats to start flying out of the cave, which are then followed by giant bats (not sure their official name). These bats try to lift up one of the guys but isn’t able to, and then picks up the girl and flies off with her, meanwhile the men start their expedition truck and chase after her. Your vehicle then starts moving forward again.

Scene 4. The vehicle makes a slight right hand turn and then parks on a motion base platform in front of another screen on the right side. (((There is a show door that is closed in front of the vehicle in this scene to block out light and noise from the 360 scene in the next room. Also, as soon as the vehicle comes to a stop there is some pretty noticeable pneumatic noise that comes from the motion base locking onto the ride vehicle.))) The scene begins with the girl being carried by the bat, who then drops her into a tar pit and falls into the tar itself. Then the tar begins moving and bubbling as the worm creatures (also not sure of their names) emerge from under the surface. The vehicles also begin to rock back and forth as if something is underneath it. The worms begin to attack the girl, along with giant spider and flying insects. The girl begins to flight back with a machete and gun which causes lot of bug guts (aka water) to fly into the vehicle. (((There is a themed wall on the right side of the vehicles that comes up to about seat level on the ride vehicle, this is to hide the motion base equipment and to house the water effects for the scene)))

Scene 5. The show doors open in front of the vehicle and it makes a slight left into the 360 room. The projections are already going when you enter, unlike Hollywood kong. You pull into the center of the room and come to a stop. (((More loud pneumatic noise as you park. Also, there are walls on either side of the vehicle that stand out a bit because they are unthemed and cover up a large part of the lower viewing area.))) This scene is very similar to the Hollywood kong from here on out. Kong fights the dinosaurs, and every time they get hit, a bit of dinosaur “spit” flies into the vehicles. One of the dinosaurs drags the other (virtual) expedition vehicle (which has now pulled up on your left) towards a cliff and another dinosaur begins pushing you that way as well. You eventually fall off the cliff but are eventually caught by kong. He puts you down, beats his chest, and then climbs over your vehicle and begins to climb back up out of the cliff.

Scene 6: Show doors in front of your vehicle open and you begin to move forward out of the 360 scene. Your driver comes over the speakers and radios to the base camp that they’ve found kong. You then make a gradual turn to the right and the vehicle slows as you pass kong on the right side. You are very close to his face and you can really see him checking out the ride vehicle and looking everyone over. He breathes into the ride vehicle (if you want to smell his breath sit in rows 4-6) and lets out a really loud roar.

Scene 7: Your vehicle completes it’s gradual right turn, continues straight for about 40 feet (((this is another block zone that the vehicle will stop in if the unload block is occupied. You CANNOT see kong from here. The vehicle then makes a 90 degree turn to the right and pulls into the unload station.
Nice review. Very accurate.