Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

Well, the walls could be down for the storm. We'll get mostly rain but they're talking sustained winds of 15-20mph with gusts possibly up to 60.

As for ride ranking within the park I dont think Kong is going to get anywhere near the love of Journey, nor Spiderman.

It reminds me of Disaster/Earthquake. It feels about that tier in terms of quality.

It's better than Poseidon. Right on par with JPRA but no thrilling drop. More interesting than Dudley but again no thrill drops. A lot less fun than Popeye. No whimsy of Cat.

I like ET better. Minions is much more coherent in storytelling. It's better than Skrek. It's not better than MIB.

Really? That sucks. I would assume it's in AC.

The outside looks to have fans that weren't on. And inside seems to be meant to have air but was having major circulation issues. Only the final parts felt cooled at all. It was sweltering inside - all after sundown.

It also seemed strangely bright to me, but folks who rode during the day felt it was dark. So maybe lights were up or maybe it was adjustment.

And the outside queue was full of fog/mist. I don't know how I feel about that. Looks good, but it was super humid.

The queue didn't seem to tell any story. Maybe outside radios tell you something but once you enter the temple it's all just rumbling and noise and then the witch babbling incoherently. Not until you get back to the base camp to depart is there anything that's English spoken to you and by that point it's safety spiels.

I'm fairly certain the signs said "safety goggles" btw for the 3D glasses. They're not really talked about aside from when you load and then when you get to the skeleton. Really wish we had gone outside.

And thinking back on it more... Every bit of Potter feels real and authentic, or at least it does to me. There were bits that felt real and looked good - like the skulls. But the. There's bodies strapped to things in one part and it feels fake. And then industrial doors just painted the color of the cave walls.

The ceiling is just a ceiling. Lights hang down and sort of blind you from looking up past them but it's a normal sort of warehouse ceiling. And for a cave all the rooms are very square. And all the walls are very straight up and down...

It's like... Almost there. Not cheap but not as elaborate at Potter either.

Doesn't it feel good now that we don't have to answer when the walls are coming down,

I'm gonna do everything I can to make a trip to Orlando this year, I think I'd absolutely adore this attraction
Yeah, from what I've been reading from the bulk of participants, it sounds really fun, entertaining and unique to Orlando. Great AA's, sets, screens, and a fantastic queue is basically the combination I want to see in an attraction. A bit of a scare, some thrill and excitement mixed with a dose of the Kong storyline should make for a great experience that sounds like it will get better with repeat rides.

Yeah, from what I've been reading from the bulk of participants, it sounds really fun, entertaining and unique to Orlando. Great AA's, sets, screens, and a fantastic queue is basically the combination I want to see in an attraction. A bit of a scare, some thrill and excitement mixed with a dose of the Kong storyline should make for a great experience that sounds like it will get better with repeat rides.

Yeah, only some people seem to be slightly disappointed in the ride portion after the elaborate queue, but I don't know if they are including the queue as part of the overall attraction when they rate it.

It kinda goes back to Gringotts where.. I went to the park at night solo.. knew I could've gotten on the ride in a few minutes via single riders.. but I still choose to go through the regular line. Without the bank, the pre-show, the lifts, etc, the experience is incomplete to me.

Waited over an hour - all inside with delays. Exterior part was off since it kept breaking down if they tried to do it. Had Jinx as driver.

I give it a solid "meh, not bad."

I wouldn't wait in a long queue for it. And if the queue goes slow with delays, like it did for me, it cycles quickly and becomes a bit dull.

The carnictis was neat. The witch was neat but she's in a giant room with a million switchbacks. So we saw her for like a good 20-30 mins.

We were moving at speed through the scare actor area and it's as obvious as a HHN house. But not bad. Cleverly setup.

As soon as you depart they say don't worry about goggles until caves.. But if you bypass outside you like immediately have the skeleton in front of you and he says to put them on. The fire goes out.. With a weird air hose hiss.

The big bat things look.. Blah. They just seemed low rent compared to the rest of the stuff. In some parts of the queue some items were like that - the plastic look I complain about for HHN but a lot was we'll done. If you like skulls you'll like the queue. It's like skull decor a million ways.

The first scene shoots the flare before you even align the vehicle to see so it seems to fly by.

And the next scenes in the pit seems like it's only a few feet away which comes off as very off spacially. Mild movement.

Did I mention the queue carnictis is in a big glass box? So you get a good look at it.

Lots of water spray as Kate kills bugs.

Then off into the 360. The illusion of speed when you accelerate is nice. The transition into it is nice. And I was against the right wall - so the left looked good. The right was hard to see because you're right up on it. Definitely times where I got splashed and had to look to see what was going on. It felt a bit like everything was being thrown at you at once.

It felt short.

Then the transition out... Whih was just the screen off. Not sure what to think. If that's intentional or a glitch.

Kong AA is big and impressive but there's no context or even really commentary. It's like.. All this happens and then giant ape.

And the ride overall felt short. Everyone assumed it was shorter than Journey.

So, as I saw it, solid "meh" but I'm hard to please and it obviously wasn't 100%

And I can confirm the walls came down.

Hmmm, somehow I'm not shocked by your review

Just under 3 hours til parks open today, gonna head over and will post from park if softs are happening. Will ride it multiple times to get different drivers, etc... and a BIG thanks to this forum for all the great information here. This forum and it's members are making this first time ever to Universal a great trip. Hopefully next post will be after I have ridden it.