Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

People love being the "first" to ride an attraction. I dont even concider that because after Universal creative have been riding it for weeks and TM's got to ride it all weekend. Were really the last to ride it.

I'm a fan of the process. I rode Jounrey into Imagination with Figment behind a tech with a clipboard and almost nothing worked. I rode the latest version of Spaceship Earth when the queue still had walls up and they had told everyone to go away for hours but we happened to wander by at like 9:30 on an EMH night.

But most people won't like the experience of waiting and won't be happy with the result. That's a large part of why they stay closed - it has to reach a point where they don't think it'll be a negative to open - see Rivers of Light. For Kong that seems to mean getting the air working in the queue and hopefully getting the outside portion running.

Just spit-balling... But I think the whole experience would benefit from a narrative construct to encapsulate the story. Right now it tries to tell it "realistically" and parts get lost... Important parts.

So I'd not be opposed to adopting some presentational-ism, like placards in the queue with Kate's journal entries or something. Right now what's missing is an explanation for what the 8th Wonder is, an emotional connection to Kate and her crew, and the reason you're there in the first place.

None of that is explicitly presented in the queue and not at all mentioned on the ride. Heck, I'm not sure it's mentioned in passing in the queue since parts of the audio were inaudible.

When you actually have to wait in the outdoor queue you'll hear so much about Kate, her team, and the drivers, you'll have quite the "emotional" connection.

@epcyclopedia , totally agree with you. Funny how people who haven't even ridden are calling you a Debbie Downer when you're speaking the truth...
Got to ride last night at TM preview. Very fortunate, great experience. Queue is incredible, theming is incredible, no doubt about it. I rode around 9:30pm, preview was supposed to go until 12am but they closed early due to technical issues (there were a LOT of by the way). I don't think this ride is even close to being able to be opened because of the tech issues I experienced, but what do I know.
It's a cool ride -- I think I'm just over the typical 3-D screen rides Universal has become so reliant on. I'm not saying the 3-D isn't cool. It is. But I'd like to see what else Universal can do besides the same ride over and over. Also, there's barely any movement, and whoever said Frozen ride has more movement with the drop is most likely correct. With that being said, the ending is one of the most incredible things I've seen which makes rating this ride super difficult.
Anyways, I'm excited to ride again when they ironed out the kinks. I rode twice last night but the first time it broke down and the screens turned off so they let us ride again right away which was cool. My understanding is this was happening multiple times throughout the night so I'm really shocked they're supposedly about to do soft openings.
I got to watch them take down the walls last night too which was super cool.
Hope you all enjoy.

Mike West is hanging out in front of Kong!
image.jpg