Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 478 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just kind of wish the transitions made more sense. The ride is presented as a uninterrupted journey yet we go from a cave to the bottom of a bug pit to a sprawling jungle in the daytime to the Kong AA in the dark. I would have loved to see the Kong AA on a grander set piece set during sunset.

Reactions: Ryno27
:lol:

I'd put my list at this:

1. Spidey
2. FJ
3. Gringotts
4. MIB
5. Mummy

I haven't ridden Kong yet, but I suspect it will squeak in between Gringotts and MIB.

Here's how I would rank my personal favorites.

1) Men in Black
2) Hogwarts Express
3) Spider-Man
4) Revenge of the Mummy
5) Reign of Kong

But that is totally different than how I would objectively rank the best attractions, in terms of clever design, story, etc. If I were to take a rough whack at that:

1) Spider-Man
2) Forbidden Journey
3) Hogwarts Express
4) Men in Black
5) Reign of Kong

Couple of points

1. In regards to hype, myself and others who have been privy to information have been trying to counter the claim that "it's just Kong 360."
  2. Gringotts received a lot of negative or mild reviews upon opening from those expecting more physical effects and more of a coaster experience. Reviews of Kong so far have been significantly more positive by those who have ridden it.
  3. @Fett83 i don't want to put words in @epcyclopedia mouth but I believe he's referring to Soarin being the most popular in terms of guest satisfaction surveys, so not an opinion.
  4. Projections are being added to attractions because guests are rating them higher. GSAT, for better or worse, rates these attractions higher than normal (with the exception of Waterworld, crazy I know). GSAT is a bad way to design attractions as its a lagging indicator (as many on here point out the scale is tipping and they don't like it), but UC isn't creating these attractions simply because.
  5. Finally, to say Kong is a let down because it doesn't one up FJ/Spider-man/etc in innovation/awesomeness/whatever is like undercutting every major Disney attraction since IJA because it doesn't live up to that attraction. It's a logical fallacy that doesn't debate the merits of the attraction itself.
Considering many of who have ridden it are considering it one of the best rides at the resort, that's fantastic praise.

Theme Park Insider, a site dominated by Disney fans, had a plethora of anti Universal anti Kong comments yesterday since their owner posted the bootleg video and kept it up. One comment was especially funny though. The poster said Universal needs to learn from Disney's Shanghai Pirates on the proper way to do screens. :lol: No wonder I rarely go on that site anymore.

Last edited:
Couple of points

1. In regards to hype, myself and others who have been privy to information have been trying to counter the claim that "it's just Kong 360."
  2. Gringotts received a lot of negative or mild reviews upon opening from those expecting more physical effects and more of a coaster experience. Reviews of Kong so far have been significantly more positive by those who have ridden it.
  3. @Fett83 i don't want to put words in @epcyclopedia mouth but I believe he's referring to Soarin being the most popular in terms of guest satisfaction surveys, so not an opinion.
  4. Projections are being added to attractions because guests are rating them higher. GSAT, for better or worse, rates these attractions higher than normal (with the exception of Waterworld, crazy I know). GSAT is a bad way to design attractions as its a lagging indicator (as many on here point out the scale is tipping and they don't like it), but UC isn't creating these attractions simply because.
  5. Finally, to say Kong is a let down because it doesn't one up FJ/Spider-man/etc in innovation/awesomeness/whatever is like undercutting every major Disney attraction since IJA because it doesn't live up to that attraction. It's a logical fallacy that doesn't debate the merits of the attraction itself.
Considering many of who have ridden it are considering it one of the best rides at the resort, that's fantastic praise.
Good points all. Especially the one on Gringotts. Lots of upset thrill seekers who were expecting more coaster, less family ride...... And, the reviews of people standing in long hot lines, and experiencing the numerous breakdowns, were pretty rough. And I was still reading those bad reviews many months after the attraction opened. Gringott's is one of the main reasons I only pay attention to reviews that experience a ride running as it's supposed to. It's just natural for people to give a bad review to an attraction that is having significant issues. If you see a review from someone just experiencing Gringotts for the first time now, it's generally very glowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S

I was just writing a post that made the exact same point. You beat me too it :p

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Yeah, sorry to get off-topic but after I rode Kong yesterday I went to Gringotts and it actually is a very different ride now witch 20-30 minute lines and no breakdowns. I would actually put it higher on my favorites now.