Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 480 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So now a lot of you have been on the ride and thru the line, just how scary is the queue?

Very. HHN-level. Atmospheric mostly, but
the scare-actor got screams every single time.

I'd note TMs were working the outside queue repeatedly warning people with kids how scary it could be. No one listened. A 6ish girl ahead of us stopped before the main ride and would not walk further--not even to child swap--until she was picked up. An 8ish boy behind me, whose parents were warned twice, looked both ready to cry and pee his pants in one of the queue rooms. This goes beyond Haunted Mansion/Stitch scary--which I already think you should be 5 or 6 for. I'd have a hard time bringing any pre-adolescent in here. (Already scolded a friend who was thinking of bringing his 5-year-old.)

Heading over tomorrow on my BF's day off. It's all up to luck now, but we hope we make it into a soft. If not, we'll still get our plastic passes and eat some nachos at NBC.

It's fascinating to hear the reactions of some children as opposed to others. It does appear that I haven't been whistling dixie. It will be interesting to hear what the single riders line looks like and whether that is a viable option for families.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
I was just writing a post that made the exact same point. You beat me too it :p
For Orlando/WDW the point would be better using Tower of Terror as an example. Or even Everest for the Yeti before it broke.
Gringotts is one of those rides that grows on me. The first time I rode it, and everything worked except the water effect, I would have given it a 7. By the fourth or fifth ride, my rating went up to a 9 or 10. There's so much happening, and things to see, you don't notice everything during the first runs. While I rate FJ as a better attraction, I actually have more fun riding Gringotts, primarily because it's less intense, therefore I can repeat ride it more. I've now rode Gringotts well over 2 dozen times. I suspect Kong will be the same to me. I'll notice more and appreciate it more with repeat rides..... A point I've brought up here many times before, but I believe it's probably pertinent here. Disney Imagineering great Tony Baxter, in interviews has said, it's important to design an attraction where it's actually better on the 20th ride than the first. That a great ride will have you notice & experience more nuances the more times you ride......
:agree:
I was thinking of that same exact Baxter quote as I read your post.
I agree! (Except for the Mermaid part)

Theme park fans are quickly becoming the miserable people I used to get on the Jungle Cruise. The ones that would sit down and glare at you, making sure you knew there was no way they're having fun on this ride.
I have fun on SDMT but it still feels woefully short to me. Just one more dark ride scene and a little more coaster would've been perfect.
Very. HHN-level. Atmospheric mostly, but
the scare-actor got screams every single time.

I'd note TMs were working the outside queue repeatedly warning people with kids how scary it could be. No one listened. A 6ish girl ahead of us stopped before the main ride and would not walk further--not even to child swap--until she was picked up. An 8ish boy behind me, whose parents were warned twice, looked both ready to cry and pee his pants in one of the queue rooms. This goes beyond Haunted Mansion/Stitch scary--which I already think you should be 5 or 6 for. I'd have a hard time bringing any pre-adolescent in here. (Already scolded a friend who was thinking of bringing his 5-year-old.)
That's what I call unexpected entertainment :lol:
Not sure if posted yet, but Kong music is now playing on both sides of the path. No more Jurassic Park bleeding in!
:clap:

Reactions: Mad Dog
I mean yeah, but IJA was 20 years ago and Disney hasn't really pushed that much sense. FJ was only 6 years ago, and Uni definately has been pushing a lot, even if not going as far as FJ, since then.

But not every attraction has to be a major innovator/envelope-pusher. Having one that is just a really fun ride to fill out your day isn't a problem at all. If in 20 years, Uni hasn't created another big "envelope-pusher", then sure, I see your point. But I think this attraction, right here, right now, doesn't need to be some massive new ride that innovates everything.
Right just like i said! Kong is getting in where he fits in, with his big A$$

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
Damn girl you drunk
Um.. Have you ridden?

The ride storyline has some problems, but after riding it basically everyone in my truck was blown away. I'm telling you guys- THE VISUALS ARE AMAZING. The ride has some of the biggest "wow" moments in the entire resort. Some amazing visually stunning/wow moments include-
1) The gates opening and driving in
2)How you cannot tell the difference between the screens and real
3)360 3D
4)Kong AA

Major issue with the story- You're chasing this lady and then she gets taken by a gigantic bug.. then you pull into 360 3D and you never figure out what happens to her. Then after the Kong AA scene she comes on the radio and says she's ok. They should just kill her instead of having her get taken by the bug.

The 3d is so effective on this ride. They go back to the old school use, and instead of just using the 3d for depth they also have things jump out at you. In the first screen scene, i literally ducked because the bats flying at me looked so realistic.

So sure the ride may not have the best story, but I am 99% sure that the general public (or anyone!) will be completely blown away after riding it.

The biggest issues I have with the ride are story-related, and I'm pleased with the comparisons to Gringotts. The latter was an attraction I had issues with prior to riding, but absolutely loved when actually riding it. I have no doubt that it'll be polarizing. It doesn't help that one of the few POVs out there is drowned out by excited wailing of guests, which takes chunks of story away.

Still I think the problem I have most is trying to relay the story of Eighth Wonder solely via radio broadcasts. It's just hard to build that connection to characters we never see to be that invested. They badly need a visual in the queue much like Indy with the newsreel. Something to invest riders into the actual story of the ride, not just the myth of Kong.

And of course some problems with the ride's pacing and story (not a fan of what happens with Kate), but again a lot of fixable issues and I'm sure the ride is way better in actuality. The AAs and 360 room certainly look better than some are giving it credit for. And that score! Augh such a great adventure score!

I'd give it a tentative B-plus for my impressions from afar, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was really excited to ride it in person this fall.

I have fun on SDMT but it still feels woefully short to me. Just one more dark ride scene and a little more coaster would've been perfect.

SDMT's biggest issue is it is a hyped Disney ride with middling capacity. If you didn't need to book a FP+ for it the very earliest it's available, it'd be a good little distraction.

I am 99% sure that the general public will be completely blown away after riding it.

And that, whether we here want to admit it or not, is all that matters.

Um.. Have you ridden?

The ride storyline has some problems, but after riding it basically everyone in my truck was blown away. I'm telling you guys- THE VISUALS ARE AMAZING. The ride has some of the biggest "wow" moments in the entire resort. Some amazing visually stunning/wow moments include-
3)360 3D
4)Kong AA

Major issue with the story- You're chasing this lady and then she gets taken by a gigantic bug.. then you pull into 360 3D and you never figure out what happens to her. Then after the Kong AA scene she comes on the radio and says she's ok. They should just kill her instead of having her get taken by the bug.

The 3d is so effective on this ride. They go back to the old school use, and instead of just using the 3d for depth they also have things jump out at you. In the first screen scene, i literally ducked because the bats flying at me looked so realistic.

So sure the ride may not have the best story, but I am 99% sure that the general public (or anyone!) will be completely blown away after riding it.
No doubt, with that fantastic facade, excellent queue, and what seems to be a fun & entertaining ride, it will be extremely popular with the general public and stay popular for a long time. This will not be a one year wonder attraction. It will get stronger with age and be a park icon, in my opinion..

Um.. Have you ridden?

3)360 3D
4)Kong AA

The biggest issues I have with the ride are story-related, and I'm pleased with the comparisons to Gringotts. The latter was an attraction I had issues with prior to riding, but absolutely loved when actually riding it. I have no doubt that it'll be polarizing. It doesn't help that one of the few POVs out there is drowned out by excited wailing of guests, which takes chunks of story away.

Still I think the problem I have most is trying to relay the story of Eighth Wonder solely via radio broadcasts. It's just hard to build that connection to characters we never see to be that invested. They badly need a visual in the queue much like Indy with the newsreel. Something to invest riders into the actual story of the ride, not just the myth of Kong.

And of course some problems with the ride's pacing and story (not a fan of what happens with Kate), but again a lot of fixable issues and I'm sure the ride is way better in actuality. The AAs and 360 room certainly look better than some are giving it credit for. And that score! Augh such a great adventure score!

I'd give it a tentative B-plus for my impressions from afar, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was really excited to ride it in person this fall.
Might this be a conversation better fit for the review thread?

Do you mean the large 360 screens are supposed to have the tunnel that tracks with the vehicle until you are out of the room? The video must have had this when installed but it didn't look right?

Thank goodness. That transition baffled me after the earlier screens. Just so everyone knows, I never asked about the projections or what they were about. Call it plausible deniability. Plus, I like surprises too.

Replying pages late, but yes! It's one of my only gripes with the ride. Just throw up some concrete or temple walls projected on there. A white screen is very ugly.
I also was thinking
we could've used some leech AAs on the left hand side of scene 4. I don't like the dead space going on there.

Um.. Have you ridden?

3)360 3D
4)Kong AA

I have ridden five times.

I don't know how you seem to have gained the impression I didn't love the ride, the post you replied to was me joshing @s8film40 for the order of his top attractions list... :saywhat:

Yeah, aside from the poor queue setup this was my biggest issue. It's bizarre. It reminds me of Body Wars, but as if Elisabeth Shue disappeared in the lungs and did not appear again until after you are beamed out as she's waving and giving you the thumbs up. Like, ok?

I will note that from video alone I can tell the 360 scene is a major technical upgrade in every way from the Hollywood version. People are being too dismissive of it.

Reactions: JungleSkip
I will note that from video alone I can tell the 360 scene is a major technical upgrade in every way from the Hollywood version. People are being too dismissive of it.

It's the nature of experiencing something for the first time on your phone or computer screen, and why I won't watch a video. You can't really experience something like the 360 scenes unless you're there