Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 551 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You don't believe single riders is a good option? Sadly, I don't believe they direct families there. Too, I am not sure all the guys and teens would appreciate it. Uni has known this would be an issue for years on this attraction. It's tough to be a theme park.

Depends on the family. For instance my oldest is too young to do single and my youngest is too small to ride. So in that case what would you do? Luckily my youngest is still too young to be scared, but what about in a year? My oldest will still be too young to do single rider and my youngest will then be too scared to ride Kong.

Also, the communications is the key. What are they saying to families entering. It is one thing to say the attraction is scary (most would think the actual ride and know they can do child swap) or are they warning about the line itself. Also, it isn't even about parents not riding, what about families with a mix range of kids. Let's say you have 10, 8, 6, and 4. What do you do? The 6 can't do single rider, the 4 would be too scared, and the 8 & 10 are going to want to ride. I see many scenarios where kids are crying in a line and it really isn't the parent's fault.

When I rode Kong this morning I think everything worked perfectly at 9am. I only ride it once but it was awesome, no wait and everyone was applauding. On the discussion of will it take waits away from other rides, FJ was a 45 minute wait and Kong was a walk on. I'm very thankful that Universal continues to work hard and brings us new amazing attractions.

Depends on the family. For instance my oldest is too young to do single and my youngest is too small to ride. So in that case what would you do? Luckily my youngest is still too young to be scared, but what about in a year? My oldest will still be too young to do single rider and my youngest will then be too scared to ride Kong.

Also, the communications is the key. What are they saying to families entering. It is one thing to say the attraction is scary (most would think the actual ride and know they can do child swap) or are they warning about the line itself. Also, it isn't even about parents not riding, what about families with a mix range of kids. Let's say you have 10, 8, 6, and 4. What do you do? The 6 can't do single rider, the 4 would be too scared, and the 8 & 10 are going to want to ride. I see many scenarios where kids are crying in a line and it really isn't the parent's fault.

When I was there, TMs were warning guests about the temple portion of the queue being loud, dark, and scary.

If some of your party cannot wait in the queue, you can always go up the exit directly to child swap, at ANY attraction. It's actually pretty common.

And kids are unpredictable and will start crying and get scared whether the attraction is scary or not. You can't blame the attraction. King Kong is blatantly dark and foreboding just from the outside.

Ok. I get your point. Since the set up is done, it appears that front line TM staff is going to need to communicate to parents that there are frightening things in the queue.

When I was there on the second day of softs, there was a TM standing outside the inner portion of the queue, telling people that from this point onward the queue would get very dark and very scary.

Is there a video up yet of this commercial? I'm really curious on how they presented it

If it's the commercial I'm thinking of, the finale Kong scene is lit up bright like daylight, and the animatronic witch doctor is played by a real person. Her dialogue is the same, though.

If some of your party cannot wait in the queue, you can always go up the exit directly to child swap, at ANY attraction. It's actually pretty common.

And kids are unpredictable and will start crying and get scared whether the attraction is scary or not. You can't blame the attraction. King Kong is blatantly dark and foreboding just from the outside.

My son freaked out on Space Mountain. Swore he would never ride again. We found out later he kept his eyes closed the whole time. So, hubby and 4 YO sister talked him into trying it again, with his EYES open. He loved it. Kids are weird and unpredictable.

Reactions: Mike S
Rode again tonight and the 360 room there was no motion on the truck. Without the truck moving to the video it felt very strange.

This harks of the ride system not receiving enough info regarding the placement on the motion platform. Imagine if the front wheels were on solid ground and the rear wheels were still on the platform and it operated. If systems cannot confirm something, then that something will not happen.

This harks of the ride system not receiving enough info regarding the placement on the motion platform. Imagine if the front wheels were on solid ground and the rear wheels were still on the platform and it operated. If systems cannot confirm something, then that something will not happen.
You never cease to amaze me with your technical understanding. And you explained it in a way that even I, not being a technical nerd, can understand. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S

Is this true? We'll be traveling with an almost 2 year old this year and I am dreading the Kong line with him. We are quite familiar with Universal's child swap procedures and they have never given us second pause. This is just something completely different.

And if anyone has any advice, it would be certainly welcome. Everyone but the 2 year old will want to see the whole queue. I'm almost at the point of timing the ride to his nap time.

Reactions: IzzyB
You missed my point. My daughter is not scared of things from the outside. Lines don't scare her much, but many times she gets to the front of a Uni ride and doesn't want to ride. In this case we put her in child swap and we ride. If I wasn't on this board I would probably do the same here. But in this case there is live actors jumping out at you. That child someone saw crying could have been fine when they saw the ride and the parents may have been doing child swap. What they probably were not expecting was someone jumping out at their child in the line because no other line in all of Florida has live actors.

The should have put a bypass to child swap. So the parent waiting for their kids goes to the child swap room and the rest of the party waits in line. It really would have been much better for all. I hope they start doing this and send people thru the exit. If your child needs a potty break they send you thru to child swap after you are done with your potty break and you meet up with your party there.

I would blame the parents if they had a decent solution for child swap, otherwise the parents probably don't realize how scary the line itself is.
I believe they are sending the waiting Child Swap people in the exit to the unload area avoiding the queue. The other adult(s) waits in line.

This is why I'm surprised we don't see more alignment systems on the vehicle itself to guarantee a center position on rig, like the Hollywood Tram does.

Unless they hide them better underneath the chassis maybe.

I doubt they would only rely on the tracking system for this one. Must be at least 2 or 3 system signalers.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
How long is the jump scare part of the queue? My kids definitely want to ride Kong and will be fine with a couple of jump scares, but if it is ongoing I think it would be a little much for them. At that point we might skip the queue and use the child swap.

Kong did not open with the park today.. Anybody know why that could be? I know it's softs, but just found it a little odd since it seemed to have opened with the park the last few days. :stun: