Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They could always simulate the floo powder or a port key. After all, it is the Wizarding World.
Then why are we going there?

I'm only trying to let out my inner J. K. Rowling. This seems like something she wouldn't let happen especially if it's true that she's the one with the idea of removing Dragon Challenge in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if Diagon's placement was a little of her as well.

Reactions: chewbacca1995
Azkaban is supposed to be in the middle of the ocean or something from what little we see of it in the 5th(?) movie. How does it make any sense for it to suddenly be next to Hogsmeade?
There's enough space in the DC plot for it to be hidden in the back corner behind trees, etc. Add some fog/mist to the outer edge of the Forbidden Forest and few would be able to notice Azkaban is fairly close to Hogsmeade.

Black Lake/Forbidden Forest: 85% of plot
Azkaban: 15% of plot

I just think Azkaban would make for a compelling attraction... it wouldn't work in USF and it'd be too random in a 3rd gate, so inclusion in the DC replacement would be the only way I could see it joining.

Plus, it's the perfect locale for an Alien Encounter-style show (something that likely would go well at Universal since they skew much older than MK)

There's enough space in the DC plot for it to be hidden in the back corner behind trees, etc. Add some fog/mist to the outer edge of the Forbidden Forest and few would be able to notice Azkaban is fairly close to Hogsmeade.

Black Lake/Forbidden Forest: 85% of plot
Azkaban: 15% of plot

I just think Azkaban would make for a compelling attraction... it wouldn't work in USF and it'd be too random in a 3rd gate, so inclusion in the DC replacement would be the only way I could see it joining.
Azkaban would make for a cool part of a ride but I don't see how they could have a ride just of it. Plus just replace the chamber of secrets theming with azkaban theming on FJ and there you go. Its too similar. That's the one problem with FJ having a dash of everything. I could see them in 10 years after gate 3 heavily reworking FJ and then dealing with DC. They could focus FJ (which is the biggest detractor for me) and move some removed elements such as forbidden forest to the DC plot. Give me Verbolten with HP themeing and some placemaking and I would be ok with that.

I'm only trying to let out my inner J. K. Rowling. This seems like something she wouldn't let happen especially if it's true that she's the one with the idea of removing Dragon Challenge in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if Diagon's placement was a little of her as well.
I talked to to a number of people at IOA after HP opened that said they only came for one day one park for Potter. Putting DA in US was a brilliant move to get guests to visit both parks. The two lands are still only a few minutes away.

I have no opinion on what should go in place of DC. I'm just suggesting how it could be done. As long as there is a plausible explanation and appropriate external theming I think HP fans will be OK with it.

Removing Dragons Challenge is not her idea in the first place. I believe it'll be replaced with another coaster, and as such, will be up to WB/JKR for approvals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still like Dragon's Challenge, although it feels repurposed. Of course, I think that the roller skater coaster is more of a sin than Challenge. However, Challenge doesn't seem to have a long line at any time. I hate the thought of two coasters that were awesome being taken out. I would be more inclined to move more towards Lost Continent, if anything.

Really, I feel like HP is well represented at this point.

Removing Dragons Challenge is not her idea in the first place. I believe it'll be replaced with another coaster, as as such, will be up to WB/JKR for approvals.
Keep in mind of that little rumor that JK accepted Dragon Challenge for what it was and let it slide during initial Phase 1 planning.
Edit: one more
If this does happen, I don't think it has anything to do with roughness. I think it's probably JKR/WB going, "Okay, you have the money to replace this now. make it better."

Last edited:
A rebuilt coaster might use less area and free up some space for expansion. I have never understood how a castle that is not Howarts figures into Hogsmeade. Don't get me wrong. I know it is just rethemed from DD. It looks good. It still doesn't make any sense and should probably go away.

A rebuilt coaster might use less area and free up some space for expansion. I have never understood how a castle that is not Howarts figures into Hogsmeade. Don't get me wrong. I know it is just rethemed from DD. It looks good. It still doesn't make any sense and should probably go away.

Well, maybe cutting back from dueling coasters (that do not duel anymore) to just one would make more sense. I keep trying to think what aspect of HP books aren't represented. A ride on a broomstick would be pretty awesome. They could use Intamin's version of the Motorbike and theme the cars appropriately. Then, a dark ride through the Forbidden Forest that starts at Hagrid's Hut and wraps up there as well. It could feature unicorns, centaurs, spiders (shivering slightly), and some other nasty creatures (maybe even Grawp). A mix of screens and AA's would fit perfectly.

I still don't understand why they can't duel now that they have metal detectors.....
Out of fear something may still go through undetected. Last week in DC, it was announced in the queue line not to have loose objects on you, if you do you will be send back, it was one of those live announcements through the control booth, so I think they still detect people have managed to smuggle things through the metal detector.

Out of fear something may still go through undetected. Last week in DC, it was announced in the queue line not to have loose objects on you, if you do you will be send back, it was one of those live announcements through the control booth, so I think they still detect people have managed to smuggle things through the metal detector.
There's always rocks.

How many times have you read people who claim they are capable of holding on to their items on the rides? They claim that years of practice make the use of lockers for them a waste of their time.

Reactions: anihilnation

On Universal's passholder Facebook page, there have been numerous people who claim to carry items through the metal detectors, undetected. It seems many people believe they should be exempt from the rules because they wear cargo shorts and fanny packs.

On Universal's passholder Facebook page, there have been numerous people who claim to carry items through the metal detectors, undetected. It seems many people believe they should be exempt from the rules because they wear cargo shorts and fanny packs.
Most of the people on that page are, for lack of a better term, idiots. And we are stuck with Universal having to cover their ass and structure everything to be idiot proof. Although the signs say no loose items people think as long as it doesn't set off the metal detector its fine... If I had to get naked to ride DC dueling again I would. And the fact it doesn't duel anymore is the only reason I would be ok losing it.

Most of the people on that page are, for lack of a better term, idiots. And we are stuck with Universal having to cover their ass and structure everything to be idiot proof. Although the signs say no loose items people think as long as it doesn't set off the metal detector its fine... If I had to get naked to ride DC dueling again I would. And the fact it doesn't duel anymore is the only reason I would be ok losing it.
Lol ... I quit the UOAP group because I just could not take it anymore. I don't like having to get a locker for my stuff since I always wear something wear I can secure my things (usually cargo shorts, with buttons, can't trust velcro). But policy is policy and as much as I dislike it, I do understand it because most people will just keep their stuff in a regular pocket. I always dislike people who imagine the rules do not apply to them.

Reactions: DrakeParker
Idk if its just me but after seeing all if rhe ride effects working in harmony on hulk (roar, tunnel charge up, etc) i would love to see what an enhanced DC would be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.