Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Toothsome Chocolate Emporium

I kind of wonder if they may introduce more reasonable shakes after a little while. These shakes are great for photos and showing off the unique qualities of the new restaurant, but they're very over the top and not necessarily practical. It's kind of like the kitchen sink type dishes. They're a novelty and people will occasionally get them for that reason, but once all the hype dies down I think their popularity will plummet. If that happens I could easily see some more standard shakes becoming the more popular option.

I don't think the intent is for this to be a once-a-week kind of place to all but the most die-hard fans. It's meant for people on vacation and locals celebrating birthdays/anniversaries/etc. The novelty of the over-the-top desserts is part of the charm of the place.

I don't think the intent is for this to be a once-a-week kind of place to all but the most die-hard fans. It's meant for people on vacation and locals celebrating birthdays/anniversaries/etc. The novelty of the over-the-top desserts is part of the charm of the place.
Yeah I agree, I just think it might balance out a little more. Not everyone is going to want an over the top dessert.

Yeah I agree, I just think it might balance out a little more. Not everyone is going to want an over the top dessert.

They have a selection of non-sundaes/shakes priced right in line with what you'd pay at a chain restaurant. Only one I recall is chocolate mousse (in an elegant martini glass), but they are there. Just not the ICON of Toothsome that the shakes are.

They have a selection of non-sundaes/shakes priced right in line with what you'd pay at a chain restaurant. Only one I recall is chocolate mousse (in an elegant martini glass), but they are there. Just not the ICON of Toothsome that the shakes are.
Are you talking about shakes or just regular desserts? I saw the chocolate mousse. I guess what I'm saying is I think there's potential to add some basic regular shakes to the menu. Obviously the over the top ones are iconic and will be the draw for some people. There's definitely room to add some regular shakes, in fact they could take it a step further and call them "base shakes" and then have "build your own" options.

Are you talking about shakes or just regular desserts? I saw the chocolate mousse. I guess what I'm saying is I think there's potential to add some basic regular shakes to the menu. Obviously the over the top ones are iconic and will be the draw for some people. There's definitely room to add some regular shakes, in fact they could take it a step further and call them "base shakes" and then have "build your own" options.

Just regular desserts. I think there was a chocolate bread pudding as well. Didn't pay a lot of attention, knew I was going the sundae route.

I have not seen the menu. Do they perhaps have children's shakes? I love icecream, and will eat myself sick, so children's menu is often a way for me to go

Well their largest, basic milkshake is $8.50 plus tax. At Toothsome, for $3 more - you get same size essentially (Ghirardeli is tall and narrow, Toothsome is shorter but wider), take home glass, and a few extra ingredients. They aren't that much different in price.

For example, my Banana shake had a chocolate dipped banana, which at theme parks run $3.99-4.99 on its own, and one blended in as well.
I hope not to many people do the mental gymnastics to justify a $11:50+ milkshake as a good value and they at least have create a few lower priced options.

Last edited:
I hope not to many people do the mental gymnastics to justify a $11:50+ milkshake as a good value and they at least have a few lower priced options.
Nobody is forcing you to go. Go to one of Ghiradellis many fine locations. Or McDonalds. Or buy a carton of discount ice milk and thaw it.

I have never understood this type of post. I don't expect people to sell me a Ferrari for a hundred bucks because the sticker price is too much. It is either worth it to me as a consumer or not.

Back to lurking.

Edit to add: I could get a pint of Ben and Jerrys for around five bucks and eat it at home. Or I could go to an honest to God steam punk themed chocolate emporium for six bucks more and have a giant shake with two cupcakes in it. With respect, I'm not sure what kind of cost benefit entertainment analysis is going to come down on the side of Ben and Jerrys. And again, with all respect, I don't expect someone to build an honest to God steampunk themed chocolate emporium only for me to take up space ordering an ice water and the kid's vanilla cone.

Last edited:
I've stopped there 3 times this week for dessert. I love the theming of the place. They let me down on both a key lime milkshake and a key lime cupcake. There was no lime or tart flavor to be found in either one. I also got a chocolate Smores bark bar thing that was delicious but I wouldn't get again. It was like $14 once taxes were added in.

For everyone thinking that the one slice mixed in and one slice on top might make it a better value for the shakes, it's not. The slices that they use are like a miniature sample bite. One big spoonful or two little spoonfuls finish the whole slice. And the slice inside didn't leave any chunks so it didn't even seem like anything was there, especially since there was no lime flavor.

They also didn't seem to be advertising the souvenir cups very well for the shakes. I only knew of it from on here. I didn't see anything pointing that out on the signs nor did anyone offer to rinse it out once we were done. We ended up leaving it because it seemed pretty cheap and flimsy. Even the logo was just a sticker.

The green sprockets on the cupcakes were pretty good milk chocolate. I had it in my head it would be one of those hard sugar things for some reason so I was pleasantly surprised there.
20160825_225203.jpg 20160825_225051.jpg

This is about where I'm at with the shakes

Doesn't D-Luxe burger charge like $10 for their much smaller milk shake and it's a quick service place? These prices are much better considering that.

I kind of wonder if they may introduce more reasonable shakes after a little while. These shakes are great for photos and showing off the unique qualities of the new restaurant, but they're very over the top and not necessarily practical. It's kind of like the kitchen sink type dishes. They're a novelty and people will occasionally get them for that reason, but once all the hype dies down I think their popularity will plummet. If that happens I could easily see some more standard shakes becoming the more popular option.
Yeah, I love me a good milkshake, but I don't need all the extra stuff. Normally a regular milkshake fills me up nevermind chocolate covered bananas, cupcakes, etc.