Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
do they normally not put bolts in every available spot? a lot of these connections have very few bolts

View attachment 2970

You don't put all the bolts in til you are sure everything fits together then they all go in (engineer said so - so you do so) and everything gets torqued to spec.

Many moons ago I worked high steel for a few years. All those holes are drilled at the fabricators for a reason as spec'ed by the engineer whose name is on the prints so you put them all on but if you have to go back and move or tweak it to fit you don't want to have to remove all the bolts.

That's simply a false statement not supported by any evidence.
I've been to both Cars Land and Kong so I think I'm entitled to my own informed opinion on the matter thank you very much. The difference is hard to explain but I was able to tell instantly on closer inspection. I'm crazy like that.

It probably has to do with this guy right here.

He's also working on Avatar.

Kong's rock work is still great don't get me wrong. It's just missing something. I think some pictures are in order next time I go to better explain.

Anyway, :topic:

Last edited:
I've been to both Cars Land and Kong so I think I'm entitled to my own informed opinion on the matter thank you very much. The difference is hard to explain but I was able to tell instantly on closer inspection. I'm crazy like that.

Kong's rock work is still great don't get me wrong. It's just missing something. I think some pictures are in order next time I go to better explain.

He also did the rock work of Hogwarts Castle.

No!!!! More of something doesn't mean quality. Especially when both parks use some of the same people to do their rock work. Its sculpted concrete and paint. And both companies have the same amount of detail in their respective projects. You can say that you like one design over the other but there is NO DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY.

No!!!! More of something doesn't mean quality. Especially when both parks use some of the same people to do their rock work. Its sculpted concrete and paint. And both companies have the same amount of detail in their respective projects. You can say that you like one design over the other but there is NO DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY.
i agree with you but i will say scale matters, to me it makes it more immersive which is why i love the Volcano, its just so damn big how can anyone not be blown away by that, same with Avatar floating mtns

I wasn't really talking about more of it which is why I said pictures on my next trip would help me explain it better.

i agree with you but i will say scale matters, to me it makes it more immersive which is why i love the Volcano, its just so damn big how can anyone not be blown away by that, same with Avatar floating mtns
Too be more precise. It's not the rock that makes Avatar stunning. The rock work isn't that detailed and is pretty basic. It's the plants and vines that have been added almost covering up the work that make the structure impressive. You will see much more of the actual rock work at Volcano Bay then you will at Avatar.

I still can't believe that Universal is building their most ambitious theme park icon for a water park. Mind blowing how much more expansive their projects have grown. Wish they built Hogwarts like that with towering rock work that covers all sides
I think the major issue with Hogwarts is the shape and massive size of the FJ show building. I'm guessing management realized that it would be difficult to cover the building from every angle without a massive undertaking and just couldn't justify the cost when it was only one piece (even if it is the centerpiece) of a land. I will admit they could have done a bit more, and I'm sure it would have added to the immersion, but they were probably running over budget and decided to keep cost low if they couldn't go all the way.

Volcano Bay is an entire park. FJ is one ride. Also, you have to remember that the Universal post HP and the expansion's success is far less timid than the one hoping to change their fortune with Hogsmeade.

Status
Not open for further replies.