Attendance Tracker | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was at IOA yesterday. It took me about 45 minutes to talk to someone in guest services. Extremely unacceptable. I spoke to a manager about the long wait and she compensated us with an express pass for one ride but I was still bothered with the fact that someone has to wait over 45 minutes to speak to someone, especially when two service windows were not in use. Universal needs to improve there ticketing booths and overall front entrance. It shouldn't take someone an hour to buy tickets and go through the turnstiles.

Same thing happened to me when upgrading our tickets to season passes. But the good thing is once you finally got up to the guest services booth, they were nice and gave me their full attention and I didn't feel pressured to hurry. I think the reason for the long lines is that a lot of people are changing their paper fastpasses for the card ones.

But overall, I totally agree with your customer service argument. Universal has a long way to go on that front. For every nice person (guest service booth) I found, there were 3 other unfriendly people (boat driver girl, Cabana Bay cafeteria lady, everyone at Starbucks). At Disney, I had an elderly worker come up to me on his own and ask me if I needed help, just because I was looking at a park map. Little things like that go a long way, and its something that Universal definitely needs to work on.

That being said, just so I don't get accused of being a Disney pixie duster, there was one particular lady in the cafeteria of Cabana Bay who was so super nice. I wish I could remember her name. I just remember her being so sweet and british. It totally made up for how the rest of the staff there was treating me. Maybe british people are just nicer or something? (I'm not british, so I don't know).

Last edited:
But overall, I totally agree with your customer service argument. Universal has a long way to go on that front. For every nice person (guest service booth) I found, there were 3 other unfriendly people (boat driver girl, Cabana Bay cafeteria lady, everyone at Starbucks).

That being said, just so I don't get accused of being a Disney pixie duster,...

Someone already mocked me on another thread for my post on this thread. I'm a marketing major, have taken CRM classes so I feel like I'm knowledgable when it comes to service. I worked in customer service for 3 plus years. It only takes 1 person/action to negatively impact the perception you have of a company. With all of the parks and hotels in Central Florida, it's easy to make the decision to never return. I don't know how Universal is going to deal with the influx of guests due to Volcano Bay but they really need to get their crap together.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me when upgrading our tickets to season passes. But the good thing is once you finally got up to the guest services booth, they were nice and gave me their full attention and I didn't feel pressured to hurry. I think the reason for the long lines is that a lot of people are changing their paper fastpasses for the card ones.

But overall, I totally agree with your customer service argument. Universal has a long way to go on that front. For every nice person (guest service booth) I found, there were 3 other unfriendly people (boat driver girl, Cabana Bay cafeteria lady, everyone at Starbucks). At Disney, I had an elderly worker come up to me on his own and ask me if I needed help, just because I was looking at a park map. Little things like that go a long way, and its something that Universal definitely needs to work on.

That being said, just so I don't get accused of being a Disney pixie duster, there was one particular lady in the cafeteria of Cabana Bay who was so super nice. I wish I could remember her name. I just remember her being so sweet and british. It totally made up for how the rest of the staff there was treating me. Maybe british people are just nicer or something? (I'm not british, so I don't know).
All the times we've rode the boats, and they are many, we've only had one mean miserable driver. Whenever we see him on a boat, we both simultaneously say, "It looks like Grumpy is working today. We've even tried saying nice things to him but he just glares menacingly at people. He's short, stocky, looks over 60, and has a mustache. Every other water taxi driver we've ever had has been friendly except for that one rude dude. Overall, though, we've always had excellent experiences with the CM's & TM's at Disney & Universal. A lot have gone out of their way to be helpful. I think they all do pretty good customer service wide, especially considering their pay scales are moderately low.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
All the times we've rode the boats, and they are many, we've only had one mean miserable driver. Whenever we see him on a boat, we both simultaneously say, "It looks like Grumpy is working today. We've even tried saying nice things to him but he just glares menacingly at people. He's short, stocky, looks over 60, and has a mustache. Every other water taxi driver we've ever had has been friendly except for that one rude dude. Overall, though, we've always had excellent experiences with the CM's & TM's at Disney & Universal. A lot have gone out of their way to be helpful. I think they all do pretty good customer service wide, especially considering their pay scales are moderately low.

Plan for HHN, Kill him with kindness ;)

Anecdotal I know, but I've been to Uni many times, and made one family trip to Disney a few years ago and the CM's really left a great impression on us at Disney. It seemed like everyone genuinely liked their job, and would go out of their way to help you. It went as far as trying to give ice cream to a crying kid to get them to stop crying. I don't know how much of that is policy and how much is the individual. But the Disney CM's left an impression on us for sure. That's not to say that no Uni employees are doing a good job or anything like that, but there definitely seems to be a difference.

Reactions: martymcflyy85

There is this one heavy set Universal boat guy who is so funny and so super cool and nice. He makes jokes and just being around him puts a smile on your face. He's so jolly. Every time we got him we were like "Yes! We get the funny guy!" All the other boat operators seemed to hate him though.

Reactions: Mad Dog
We've tried. It doesn't work.

I think with mass kindness applied over days he will see that working a boat over 60 is not such a bad gig and all the carefree vacationers will have bills to pay when they get back home. In any case I will do my part, he just needs an adjustment then the GS reasoning might come into play. It takes time, he didn't get there overnight.

Back to attendance decline, does anyone think the changes in UOAP will affect attendance at all? I have heard renewal rates are the same, at least for the time being. Prices increases are including early entry for the upper level passes.

Universal has always given a good discount for renewals, whereas WDW has given just 10%. If renewal is the same plus early access this is a deal for current Premiere/Preferred pass holders. If the renewal rate goes way up some might drop it if they feel they are likely not to go for many months.

I don't think there will be any net change in attendance. In fact it will increase. The onsite rooms they are adding will more than offset any attrition from pass holders dropping down. In fact I think the power pass holders will move up to the preferred class and there will be a net gain on the pass side as well. Overall it is smart and I don't feel like Uni is trying to take advantage of my addiction. As you say the renewal is very fair and certainly priced as an incentive to not let the pass expire.

I think with mass kindness applied over days he will see that working a boat over 60 is not such a bad gig and all the carefree vacationers will have bills to pay when they get back home. In any case I will do my part, he just needs an adjustment then the GS reasoning might come into play. It takes time, he didn't get there overnight.
Sounds like you know him, or who he is :)

Reactions: JoeCamel
Yeah, this kind of seems present pass holder friendly. Present pass holders are still getting their special discounts plus now they have a new plan to choose from, plus some added benefits on the others. It's certainly nothing like Universal Hollywood did last year, and has now backtracked on. It will probably help increase attendance.

I do not think adding early entry to preffered/premier will have an impact on attendance and it is an interesting move. The move (in my opinion) is really geared towards locals and it seems like a great perk.

We really enjoy staying on site and have been able to since CBBR opened so we have had early entry and we end up paying for hotel parking. I guess if hotel rates start to feel like it is not worth it (or they are all booked) it does allow us a benefit if we stay off site...if the blackout periods on the lower passes are dates we wouldn't go, we could get the parking and discounts by just have one preferred and the others Power to save...but then we would need to stay on site for all of us to get early entry...so maybe it is a ploy to get locals to have the whole family on the same pass level.

Just double checked and passes are still renewing at the old renewal rates. Good way to keep current AP holders happy. I am going to make a point of giving Universal positive feedback about this.

The Orlando Sentinel article mentioned many locals are feeling like a lower priority than on site guests since they get much earlier access to reserving the passes. On site guests have always had access to extra magic hours. Universal just gave preferred/premiere AP holders the same early access as on site guests, which looks like a big one upping of WDW.

The preferred pass is only $40 more with free parking, early access and discounts. It's practically a no Brainerd. Universal's high AP renewal discounts keeps the AP holders since it is expensive not to renew.

If the passes are too cheap then why buy multi day tickets?

Just to be clear, the preferred pass only added early access. It already had the rest.

Just double checked and passes are still renewing at the old renewal rates. Good way to keep current AP holders happy. I am going to make a point of giving Universal positive feedback about this.

The Orlando Sentinel article mentioned many locals are feeling like a lower priority than on site guests since they get much earlier access to reserving the passes. On site guests have always had access to extra magic hours. Universal just gave preferred/premiere AP holders the same early access as on site guests, which looks like a big one upping of WDW.

And I see the point you're trying to make, but Extra Magic Hours is really no comparison to an extra early hour in the Wizarding world. It's a nice perk, but not in the same ballpark.

If they don't raise the renewal rates the same for all the passes this is a huge positive and I greatly appreciate it. I believe most (certainly myself included) automatically assumed this meant that renewal rates were going to increase as well. After the earlier price hike, end of grandfathering, and now this it seemed like they were beating up the pass holders that have been with them for a long time.

Reactions: anihilnation
If they don't raise the renewal rates the same for all the passes this is a huge positive and I greatly appreciate it. I believe most (certainly myself included) automatically assumed this meant that renewal rates were going to increase as well. After the earlier price hike, end of grandfathering, and now this it seemed like they were beating up the pass holders that have been with them for a long time.

I wouldn't be shocked if they raise in 10-11 months when it's time for Seasonal Pass renewals.