Attendance Tracker | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Saw an article online from Orlando (I think the Sentnel) where WDW will now require finger scanning for three to nine year olds to stop ticket swapping. I can't imagine 3 & 4 year olds using the scanners.

Anyway, do folks here think this is a concern (ticket swapping of kids tickets) ? I mean, is this a real concern or just an idea to ensure they are bringing in all the revenue they can? I mean, I know there are people who will take advantage of anything they can, but I just can't imagine too many people loan out or sell their kids tickets...heck, I imagine more folks will say their three year old is two with this...I just would think kids can grow pretty quick and I wonder how much hassle this will be for families with kids under 6 or so.

The article did say if parents are concerned, the parent can use their own finger, but I would think that limits the family...say if the parent using the finger associated with the kids ticket is sick one day and stays back at the room, would the other parent be able to get the kid into the park? Heck, my brother lived in Orlando during my daughter's Disney years and we would let her aunt and uncle take her sometimes with out us...

Just wondering how folks feel about this for it seems like a hassle at the front gates to me!

Saw an article online from Orlando (I think the Sentnel) where WDW will now require finger scanning for three to nine year olds to stop ticket swapping. I can't imagine 3 & 4 year olds using the scanners.

Anyway, do folks here think this is a concern (ticket swapping of kids tickets) ? I mean, is this a real concern or just an idea to ensure they are bringing in all the revenue they can? I mean, I know there are people who will take advantage of anything they can, but I just can't imagine too many people loan out or sell their kids tickets...heck, I imagine more folks will say their three year old is two with this...I just would think kids can grow pretty quick and I wonder how much hassle this will be for families with kids under 6 or so.

The article did say if parents are concerned, the parent can use their own finger, but I would think that limits the family...say if the parent using the finger associated with the kids ticket is sick one day and stays back at the room, would the other parent be able to get the kid into the park? Heck, my brother lived in Orlando during my daughter's Disney years and we would let her aunt and uncle take her sometimes with out us...

Just wondering how folks feel about this for it seems like a hassle at the front gates to me!

EVERY LAST PENNY! - Bob Chapek nee Paul Pressler

I'm willing to bet the finer print is stored as encrypted data, not an image of a finger print. As such why would anyone be concerned?

Reactions: anihilnation
I'm willing to bet the finer print is stored as encrypted data, not an image of a finger print. As such why would anyone be concerned?
They actually don't store a fingerprint at all, what is stored is an algorithm. Using actual fingerprints would be too cumbersome, from what I understand the way it works, the first time you go, the scanner looks at certain points of your finger and turns it into an algorithm, this algorithm is then stored, next time you go, they check against this algorithm. In any case, the algorithm cannot be used to identify you.

Personally, I would not be concerned with the data tied to the ticket, but I assume (since the story mentioned Disney would allow a parent to tie their data as opposed to that of the child) that there are folks that have concerns.

My concern would be more around how well a three year old would be able to get a consistent scan each visit (I seldom can get it right at UNI) and my thought is that it just may be more hassle than it is worth as I assume it will frustrate staff, families, and others waiting to use a scanner if kids are not able to get a passing scan consistently.

Personally, I would not be concerned with the data tied to the ticket, but I assume (since the story mentioned Disney would allow a parent to tie their data as opposed to that of the child) that there are folks that have concerns.

My concern would be more around how well a three year old would be able to get a consistent scan each visit (I seldom can get it right at UNI) and my thought is that it just may be more hassle than it is worth as I assume it will frustrate staff, families, and others waiting to use a scanner if kids are not able to get a passing scan consistently.

I've read that a Cast Member can use their iPad to take a photo as backup verification, when a finger print isn't work or if the other parent isn't around. Still not a perfect system by any means, but as a cynical person I would imagine a lot of people have been taking advantage of the loophole that is trying to be closed here.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I've read that a Cast Member can use their iPad to take a photo as backup verification, when a finger print isn't work or if the other parent isn't around. Still not a perfect system by any means, but as a cynical person I would imagine a lot of people have been taking advantage of the loophole that is trying to be closed here.

Disneyland passes are photo based rather than finger print scanned and makes things besides your first visit go a lot faster. Hints why they have better attendance.

Disneyland passes are photo based rather than finger print scanned and makes things besides your first visit go a lot faster. Hints why they have better attendance.

I don't think it's why they have better attendance, but because of the substantially higher volume of AP attendance. I highly doubt anyone would stop going to WDW (or Universal) because of the finger print thing. However, Disneyland APs are the most self-entitled theme park guests on the planet. So have mercy on any Guest Relations CM that had to deal with one that experienced the tiniest issue with the entrance to "their park".

I am of the opinion if you pay for the tickets you should be able to use them any way you want. I used to buy multi day no expiration tickets many years ago for both Disney and Universal. I would take friends one day at a time so different friends could experience the parks. I have four godchildren, two boys and two girls. I would take them two at a time, sharing the 10 day no expiration kids tickets I bought. As they got older and the biometrics kicked in I simply stopped taking other people unless they had their own passes.

They consider this abuse and no longer allow it. I stopped taking people so they lost tickets sales and in park spending. I just bought myself and my niece and nephew Six Flags Over Georgia 2017 passes. The passes included the rest of 2016, free parking and access to all other Six Flags parks including the White Water water park for $51 each. They are just as happy there.

Ticket swapping is huge. When they started doing real finger prints they made more money because now people only buy the number of days they will use which is a higher per day amount. We used to buy 10 day passes and the Seller them to people who visited. This cost them $43 a day. Now those same people have to buy 1 or 2 day tickets which are way more. Heck I gave people my annual pass before fingerprints happened. I am sure people still do it with kids and sometimes they sell the passes on ebay for the days left. So this closes this loophole and makes them more money.

I agree getting a 3 year old to scan their finger might be rough, but by 5 they want to be like the adult and do it anyways. So it is only going to be a pain with some 3 and 4 year olds. But I understand Disney wanting people to stop cheating.

I see those kids tickets on ebay all the time . I just wish Disney would cut people a break on tickets somehow in light of being guaranteed every single person paid them directly for the tickets.

For a while, there was an apparently lucrative black market for extra day tickets--mostly smart Brits taking advantage of the cheap rates for 5+ day passes. To the point little "fotomat" buildings blatantly engaged in illegal sales along 192 and I-Drive. Most of that has been cleaned up, but not shocked to learn it has gone online.

I know across of WnW there is a store selling tickets for $50 or something, are those unlawful tickets then? Would they not work?

Probably unlawful, unless it's secretly a timeshare promotion. Whether they work or not is anyone's guess.

(That may be the guy I talked to at a sketchy I Drive bar about this years ago. If so, I would advise against buying there.)

Looks like more travel issues for attendance. Even softness in business travel will hurt since Orlando is a major convention city. This article has so much good info I'm reposting the first part of the article here. The link at the bottom has the full article and a link to the full report.

Domestic U.S. leisure travel has hit its lowest growth level since December 2012, according to the U.S. Travel Association’s latest Travel Trends Index report.

While travel in the U.S. continues to grow, as it has for the last six years, the new slowdown should raise fears of reduced domestic consumer spending and global economic headwinds. Travel volume growth in the U.S. is down overall year-over-year.

Regardless of the slowdown, domestic leisure travel is growing faster than U.S. business travel.

“What we’re seeing here is a reversal from the post-recession economic expansion, when international inbound travel ignited the recovery,” said David Huether, U.S. Travel’s vice president for research. “International inbound travel’s return to sluggish growth patterns in July was to be expected, given the dollar’s continued dominance and Europe’s Brexit hangover. Even as it weakens slightly, domestic leisure travel will continue as the main source of strength for the travel industry.”

Domestic business travel grew for the second straight month, after a long downturn, which is good news for the overall health of the business travel sector.

“Domestic leisure travel will continue to lead the U.S. travel market, though a dip in vacation intentions and slower growth in leisure-related, forward-looking travel searches signal some potential softening through late 2016,” reads the detailed portion of the report {embedded below]. “While domestic business travel growth has been in positive territory for the past two months, confidence in further growth remains shaky, and already-slowing growth in forward-looking business travel searches indicates further weakness ahead.”

International inbound travel is expected to lag behind domestic travel for the remainder of the year, as well, and stay stagnant until the end of the year.

U.S. Travel’s previous report had noted an uptick in international inbound travel in June, but the latest update dashes hope of a continued trend.

“International inbound travel’s return to sluggish growth patterns in July indicates that the June uptick was more of a rebound from a decline this time last year. Visits from Canada continue to decrease, and more tempered growth in overseas travel will keep the lid on inbound travel in the second half of 2016,” said Adam Sachs, head of Oxford Economics’ Tourism Economics division, the research group that prepares the report. “Domestic leisure travel growth, though also somewhat diminished, remains supported by a strong labor market and rising wages, while still-weak business travel growth re ects continued uncertainty and easing in exports and private investment.”

U.S. Domestic Leisure Travel Sees Lowest Growth Rate Since 2012 – Skift

I had never thought to consider the Brexit thingy...
I think the bigger issue is the strong dollar, since it makes trips to the US more expensive.

Still, none of this has had much impact on US tourism yet. It just adds to what Sea World called "the central Florida problem". I believe that was code for WDW having a decline problem that affects the other parks.

I am more convinced than ever that WDW will have minimum five quarters of attendance decline. Their first good chance at growth will be Q3 Apr-June 2017.

Rumor has it DAK is going to do everything it can to get Pandora open by Earth Day 2017. By no coincidence that falls in April 2017, early in Q3. I love how things make more sense when you know the motivations.