Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 169 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the correction! Explosion Curves sounds way better than Constrictor anyways :p.

On the topic of the Mat Slides, it should be noted that these aren't really racers. Traditionally, Mat Racer slides tend to be grouped together and follow the same basic layout, kind of like Aquatica's Taumata Racers. Universal is going for a more custom look and feel with theirs. If you take a look at the aerial photos, the Red/Yellow/Black/Black complex are the slides I'm referring to as Mat Racers. I came to this conclusion based on the slide pieces that have yet to be added. Mat Racers have unique starting points that give a good indication of ride type, much like drop boxes do for our body slides.

The two Skybox Turbo Twisters are essentially larger versions of Ihu's Breakaway Falls. They look to be significantly taller and longer than the ones at SeaWorld.

The Skybox Free Fall ride is the one featured in the platform at the top of the volcano. Think Bombay at Wet N' Wild but more than double the height. I know that in the rendering, it shows people riding this attraction in an group of three, but new renderings show this starting in a red drop box. It'll be the tallest body slide in North America when the park opens, surpassing both Summit Plummet and Deep Water Dive in terms of height.

The Flying Saucer is going to be completely unique to Orlando. You're seated in a toboggan like fashion and take 2 downward curves at higher than normal water slide speeds. Should be thrilling although shorter than most comparable slides.

One thing that I find a little bit disappointing is that all of the BIG family water rides (Flying Saucer, Tornado, Mammoth, and Tornado Wave) are all incredibly short rides... like half the length of what a traditional family slide should be. Perhaps this is to help deal with long lines, but i found it interesting that most of the body slides are substantial in length, but the family raft rides are all very very short compared to their cousins.

The FlyingSaucer is an awesome feature and I am happy to see Universal went for it. I rode this one a lot this summer and it is a winner:

DSCN2068_zpsavaaehzb.jpg

This is "Tsunami" at Super Aqua Club near Montreal, QC and they opened this beauty this summer. It has 4 FlyingSaucer and they combined it with two Rocketblast uphill segments.

Maybe this is a silly questions but what's the difference between a Flying Saucer and just a regular really banked turn in a waterslide? The tube doesn't go in the center part of the saucer so wouldn't just a banked turn give you the same experience. Sorry if this has been answered before?

The only difference is that the turns are taken at a significant incline and at a high speed. So think of them as downward U-turns. I don't think the saucer serves much function outside of additional structural support and aesthetic.

Reactions: Trumen882
With Cabana Bay now/soon being basically...closer that adjacent...

I mean, it would basically be marketing malfeasance to not have a dedicated entrance/wrist band packages.

I half agree with you. It would be really stupid for Universal not to. But, it also seems weird for them to add an exclusive entrance for their cheapest, budget hotel. Whenever other parks have an exclusive entrance, it's for their flagship hotel. It's a huge perk to encourage people to spend the extra money.

Reactions: Nick
I half agree with you. It would be really stupid for Universal not to. But, it also seems weird for them to add an exclusive entrance for their cheapest, budget hotel. Whenever other parks have an exclusive entrance, it's for their flagship hotel. It's a huge perk to encourage people to spend the extra money.
Once Adventura opens there will be 4000 hotel rooms (CBBR, Sapphire, Adventura), full of people, within easy walking distance of Volcano Bay. (Not counting another 1000 rooms at Royal Pacific which is just a bit further away)...This park can't help but be successful.

Reactions: Teebin and Mike S
That's going to be a great view this time next year! The theme and area is already flowing really nicely. I hope those room rates don't increase too much as 'Theme Park Views'. Cabana Bay is one of the best values in the city right now and I hope it stays that way!

I llike your post but I do think they will raise the room rate on CBBR. There has been such a positive response resulting in better than 90% rates they will need to once the towers and VB are open. The 600 rooms across the street will have to do as the base until they open more. This was built too well so it will move up.

Pretty good list! Only thing to correct is that Proslide refers to its wider curves as "Explosion Curves". Constrictor is the trademark their rival WhiteWater use for that feature. Are the two Skybox Twisters "TurboTwisters"? Those are awesome, intense and usually have a long ride time. Any idea what kind of Mat Racers we're getting?

Is there an example of an explosion curve somewhere? I can see it as an option on the proslide site but no pictures or why you'd want one?

explosion-flume.png

Status
Not open for further replies.