Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Switching Mickey to Potter

Sep 20, 2015
Hey everyone I'm a long time reader and post very rarely usually when I have a question. Of course that's what brings me here today. ;)

So I've been a loyal Disney passholder of about 6 years and I do love it more than anything but to be honest there's a lot happening down the road that's making me think twice about renewing in November. I was lucky enough to visit both parks this past January for a day and I had a wonderful time. I didn't get to see everything but what I did see really made me want more and I've been patiently waiting till the time was right. That time is approaching very quickly and I have a decision to make. Do I keep Disney or do I take a year off and try Universal? There is a chance I'll do both but let's assume I can do only one.

I've compared price and it's hard to ignore the insane amount of money Disney wants for just the Silver Pass while Universal's Preferred Pass seems to offer more for less. Of course if I renew Disney I'll be doing Gold. I guess I'm just loaded with questions. Years ago pre-potter I had a pass and remember a great Souvenir cup program with 99 cent refills. Is that still around? Also I really like the single rider lines. I know that Universal Meal Deal was replaced with a system more similar to Disney's and you get a Coke Freestyle mug. Can I reuse it or would I have to buy a new one every time? I'm also curious to hear about some of the other benefits and tips on doing Universal.

Hey everyone I'm a long time reader and post very rarely usually when I have a question. Of course that's what brings me here today. ;)

So I've been a loyal Disney passholder of about 6 years and I do love it more than anything but to be honest there's a lot happening down the road that's making me think twice about renewing in November. I was lucky enough to visit both parks this past January for a day and I had a wonderful time. I didn't get to see everything but what I did see really made me want more and I've been patiently waiting till the time was right. That time is approaching very quickly and I have a decision to make. Do I keep Disney or do I take a year off and try Universal? There is a chance I'll do both but let's assume I can do only one.

I've compared price and it's hard to ignore the insane amount of money Disney wants for just the Silver Pass while Universal's Preferred Pass seems to offer more for less. Of course if I renew Disney I'll be doing Gold. I guess I'm just loaded with questions. Years ago pre-potter I had a pass and remember a great Souvenir cup program with 99 cent refills. Is that still around? Also I really like the single rider lines. I know that Universal Meal Deal was replaced with a system more similar to Disney's and you get a Coke Freestyle mug. Can I reuse it or would I have to buy a new one every time? I'm also curious to hear about some of the other benefits and tips on doing Universal.
WDW does not have great discounts for renewing AP's, so skipping a year will not hurt you. You will have to adjust to having only two parks on your pass. You should definitely do it. The pass will get you AP discount of 10% off most everything that is not an outdoor cart.

The freestyle cup is reusable. It costs $6.99 per day. You get an AP discount if you get it at an indoor food shop.

Your Preferred/Premiere pass gets you into one park an hour early. Premier gets you express pass after 4pm.

If you don't mind me asking, what's having you think twice?
Just after 6 years I've kinda done everything to the point that while I still have fun I'm also wanting to see new things and Disney has a long time till new stuff at DHS opens. Although I think Avatar is next year. Meanwhile Universal has a lot that I haven't seen yet and a lot of things I haven't seen in a long time.

Thanks Galaxy Defender for the info. That early entry sounds very appealing and Express after 4 on the Premier alone may be worth it.

Just after 6 years I've kinda done everything to the point that while I still have fun I'm also wanting to see new things and Disney has a long time till new stuff at DHS opens. Although I think Avatar is next year. Meanwhile Universal has a lot that I haven't seen yet and a lot of things I haven't seen in a long time.

Thanks Galaxy Defender for the info. That early entry sounds very appealing and Express after 4 on the Premier alone may be worth it.

Come away from the darkside..........

I made the switch for the same reasons. I got tired of doing almost the exact same thing every single time I went there.

I made the switch for the same reasons. I got tired of doing almost the exact same thing every single time I went there.
Yeah it just feels like I pay more every year and not much has changed and Epcot and DHS are losing more than they gain as of late. I really do love Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom and could never get tired of either of those but at this point I'm paying for 2 (or 3 at most) parks. I honestly haven't even been to DHS since renewing last November so that was a totally different pass. I really only make it to Epcot because it's easy to ride the Monorail over from MK for a few hours.

It just seems that a year of something new will definitely be worth it and Universal is looking better and better. I'm just wondering if Volcano Bay will be added to the pass program and don't know if I'd be better off waiting a little longer. But that would leave me without a park for too long which is unacceptable haha.

I've made 13 trips and always do the parks. I never drop uni but I've dropped Disney parks a few times now, even when I'm staying on site.

You could easily drop Disney for a year and not miss anything, you couldn't day that about uni.

By the end of the decade Disney will be worth visiting again, but at what price doesn't bear thinking about.

I've made 13 trips and always do the parks. I never drop uni but I've dropped Disney parks a few times now, even when I'm staying on site.

You could easily drop Disney for a year and not miss anything, you couldn't day that about uni.

By the end of the decade Disney will be worth visiting again, but at what price doesn't bear thinking about.
Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking for the most part I won't miss much at Disney if I take a year off. I really would like to keep both but if it comes down to one I think I've definitely made up my mind to give it to Universal next year.

After dropping my Disney World annual pass the only park I missed was Magic Kingdom. Going to the Halloween party once a year takes care of my fix for that park.

Universal's two parks have more to do than the lesser three of Walt Disney World's parks. But if you feel that two parks are not enough you can always get a SeaWorld pass in addition. Universal otels offer a free shuttle service to and from SeaWorld.

After dropping my Disney World annual pass the only park I missed was Magic Kingdom. Going to the Halloween party once a year takes care of my fix for that park.

Universal's two parks have more to do than the lesser three of Walt Disney World's parks. But if you feel that two parks are not enough you can always get a SeaWorld pass in addition. Universal otels offer a free shuttle service to and from SeaWorld.

I honestly believe if you visit the MK, USF, and IoA that's a great vacation. I think Universal and Disney know this, and Disney's scared.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. That's why I love this place.

I just remembered another thing I wanted to ask. On the Premier pass I know you get 1 HHN ticket for select nights. Do you have to pick up a ticket somewhere or just scan your pass?
Also is there any meet up groups for Universal? I may be making the move solo since my family will most likely keep Disney and some of my friends still work there or don't have a pass anywhere. I'm trying to get my cousin and his girlfriend onboard haha.

Galaxy Defender great suggestion on using MNSSHP to get a MK fix. I went to it once and it was a great stress free fun time I definitely would consider doing it again.

This is a funny and yet very informative thread of balanced appraisals. A few posts hit me in such a way that I exclaimed "HA!".
It seems to confirm what people here and over at wdwmagic have been saying for a long time. Universal is doing some really amazing things right now and people are noticing. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.