Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Forbidden Journey Refurbishment (Update: Early Dec)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got off of it. Was having lots of problems with breakdowns, but I managed to ride all the way through with out stops. Profile felt slightly different. Spiders might have been updated in the forest? I definitely don't think I had the normal profile in the dementor scene.

Edited to add: The dragon breath felt incredibly hot and the second dome with the quidditch scene was off. I don't know if it was a syncing issue, but something had definitely changed.

Last edited:
^ I heard they were having some issue with the matrix system. The matrix allows them to tell the system which dome in a carousel they don't want to use and the system will shine a light on the cars in load that would end up going to that dome so the loaders won't load it.

I gather that there was an issue in a dome and when they went to disable it it wasn't marking the correct cars. Therefore, some guests may have had bad screens.

The ride has been significantly updated!! Now features 93% less vomit spread throughout attraction!! [HASHTAG]#AmazingJob[/HASHTAG]

No but seriously though as I mentioned before this started it seems they fixed things the general public wouldn't even notice. Like damaged rock work and replacing scenic mechanisms, and computers.

As someone who has spent a considerable amount of time with this ride, I can say there have been some vast improvements in lighting. Every physical set has been made brighter, as to match with the brightness of the projected scenes. There's one new lighting cue in particular that works really well:

After Harry is knocked off his broom and you fall in to the Chamber of Secrets, the first dementor scene is in complete darkness and is only revealed with a neon green glow until it's right in your face. Completely surprised me and startled someone who's been on this ride thousands of times well enough.

As someone who has spent a considerable amount of time with this ride, I can say there have been some vast improvements in lighting. Every physical set has been made brighter, as to match with the brightness of the projected scenes. There's one new lighting cue in particular that works really well:

After Harry is knocked off his broom and you fall in to the Chamber of Secrets, the first dementor scene is in complete darkness and is only revealed with a neon green glow until it's right in your face. Completely surprised me and startled someone who's been on this ride thousands of times well enough.
So it seems Universal took a page from Disney's playbook by upgrading some lighting. Luckily they skipped the other 99 pages where the ride is closed for 5 months.

That's the best scare I've gotten in any ride ever...brilliant

It's funny, I wonder if this was the original intention that just got toned down over the years... I remember on my first ride on 7/4/08, that very effect scared the ever loving crap out of me. Glad to hear its efficacy has been enhanced.

It's funny, I wonder if this was the original intention that just got toned down over the years... I remember on my first ride on 7/4/08, that very effect scared the ever loving crap out of me. Glad to hear its efficacy has been enhanced.

But the ride didn't open until 2010 :huh:

The effect does sound awesome though. Hopefully it's still like this next month.

Yeah, the first few times I rode when the ride first opened in 2010 the first few Dementor scenes always scared the crap outta me. Now that I know when they're coming, not so much. Looking forward to sampling the new lighting, maybe it'll start to scare me again lol

Yeah, the first few times I rode when the ride first opened in 2010 the first few Dementor scenes always scared the crap outta me. Now that I know when they're coming, not so much. Looking forward to sampling the new lighting, maybe it'll start to scare me again lol
Lol same here

I rode FJ the past 2 times that I've gone, and the ride has pretty good. The car seemed smoother somehow. I remember going in September and I felt like the car was whipping me from scene to scene; now I feel like it's a little more gentile. The scenes are much brighter than usual. I used to never see anything in the forbidden forest, but now I can actually see trees up ahead. I wish the scenes where a little more detailed. This is coming from a long wanted addition fantasy of mine for the FJ ride. Ive always wanted a little more in the dragon and forbidden forest section, and I wish they would completely cut out the whomping willow scene and add a basilisk scene. I've been working on a concept for this idea, and always really liked it. (Back to topic) the lighting has improved much, but I feel like the projection domes can be seen from the rode POV. I can always see the edge of the dome while I'm riding, which kinda bothers me. the projections themselves don't look as real as they used to. The screens are super bright, and looks really fake. I feel like they need to also fix the rock work outside the castle, which always has white stuff on it? I don't know what that is, but I always see it there. The ride is pretty good though.

I'm gonna try to put some old concept art I drew for the basilisk chamber of secret scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.