Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 220 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from a friend yesterday that pricing for adding a VB pass to an existing AP should be coming sometime just after the first of the year. I'm expecting that to be a fairly big number ($150-$200 range).

Reactions: JoeCamel
Wonder what they have planned for a grand opening, fireworks, projections on the Volcano or maybe they'll just let the Volcano speak for itself.

Still a ways to go but what they have a achieved so far is astounding, @scott_walker posted s shot not long back which showed state of play from a year ago and I was literally jaw dropped with what they have done in just 1 year, way to go UNi.

Reactions: Scott W.
Le sigh.

"Theming" is not a thing, it's a fan created construct that is not part of themed design.

They are installing scenery and hardscape and decor and other elements. They are not "theming" it. Theme is not slathered on like stucco. Visual elements can contribute to or reinforce a theme, but theming is not a thing and despite the fanboy foaming I know plenty within WDI and UC who would gladly backhand anyone who goes on about "theming" things are via decor/set dressing/etc.

In a restaurant like.. say.. a TGI Fridays, you have the perfect example of "SOS theming" aka: Sh!t on Shelves. That's not themed design.

Similarly grass huts with generic graphics amid modular steel aren't some pinnacle of themed design. Volcano bay very well might have a great theme that is well expressed, but it isn't covered in theming, no theming is being installed, and anyone with any hands in the process will likely be insulted to hear their work described as the act of "theming."

I heard from a friend yesterday that pricing for adding a VB pass to an existing AP should be coming sometime just after the first of the year. I'm expecting that to be a fairly big number ($150-$200 range).
This is absurdly expensive for an ad on compred to pretty much anyone else. Disney is a 100 premium for two water parks on the pass. Universal is clearly looking to increased package sales to drive profits and does not expect to need passholders to pad the numbers for a while.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
This is absurdly expensive for an ad on compred to pretty much anyone else. Disney is a 100 premium for two water parks on the pass. Universal is clearly looking to increased package sales to drive profits and does not expect to need passholders to pad the numbers for a while.

I got the sense from GA that it was just a guess...

Le sigh.

"Theming" is not a thing, it's a fan created construct that is not part of themed design.

They are installing scenery and hardscape and decor and other elements. They are not "theming" it. Theme is not slathered on like stucco. Visual elements can contribute to or reinforce a theme, but theming is not a thing and despite the fanboy foaming I know plenty within WDI and UC who would gladly backhand anyone who goes on about "theming" things are via decor/set dressing/etc.

In a restaurant like.. say.. a TGI Fridays, you have the perfect example of "SOS theming" aka: Sh!t on Shelves. That's not themed design.

Similarly grass huts with generic graphics amid modular steel aren't some pinnacle of themed design. Volcano bay very well might have a great theme that is well expressed, but it isn't covered in theming, no theming is being installed, and anyone with any hands in the process will likely be insulted to hear their work described as the act of "theming."
The correct term would be "placemaking". Which is adding decorative elements that reinforce the theme. And sometimes, as with the pretty tile work along the lazy river, it's simply decorative and doesn't reinforce the theme.

But it is common for lay fans to refer to these placemaking decorative elements as "theming" since they reinforce the theme. It's just easier and most people know what they are talking about.

Just saw a new Vacation Like you Mean It ad here in the UK. Same shots of Hulk but with the new trains, Kong was featured and it had snippets of Volcano Bay concept art and ended with the "Our Third Park Rises Summer 2016" image!

Status
Not open for further replies.