Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 126 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Self policing has good and bad.

Good is that they know the operation and what the dangers really are.

Bad in that people with no qualifications often get out in positions to make the decisions. Shortly after the BTMRR incident at Disneyland, I e-stopped a ride in Epcot because it lost show items that per the SOP it needed to be shut down and fixed.

The manager on duty was furious because I didn't call to ask for permission (other rides were down) and it was supposedly his decision. I had to try to calmly explain we shut down for safety reasons when a projector goes out because while it is a show quality issue we also don't know if the projector has blown up and someone needs to go and check. We're taking large scale projections, not small elements of larger scenes.

He threatened to write me up, but since the SOP agreed with me I was safe. A few weeks later the SOP books were removed from the operations consoles. The best truthful explanation I could suss out was that upon complaining about the SOP shutting the ride down "for no reason" the issue was brought to the powers that be and they quickly realized the SOP was a liability of management chose to override what tnsaid and subsequently injured or killed someone.

Not following your own policies as printed in an obvious book would be pretty damning. So, in their minds the SOPs had to go. (Not to emphasize following them... god forbid.)

A few months passed and I'm opening an attraction and hear breaking glass, twisting and scraping metal, and other unhappy sounds during a test cycle. I don't call for authorization, and immediately e-stop the ride. Policy at the time was that any foreign sound was grounds for an e-stop because of the BTMRR incident.

Same manager finds out and barges in ready to chew me out, as I've now delayed the ride opening and again other attractions are having "real technical issues."

The techs inform him the hydraulic system that controls the show doors had a catastrophic failure, the basement was flooding with hydraulic fluid as we spoke, and the show door had risen at an angle that caused damage to booth the door and structural wall of the building. If I hadn't stopped it, the entire wall might have collapsed.

He just glared at me.

And ever since I don't let other people make safety decisions for me, not even the ones entrusted with the power to do so by some bogus legal mumbo-jumbo.
From what I've hear from a friend that used to work at Busch Gardens...The answer is e-stop first and call supervisors later...I find it interesting that your experience happened the way it did...Unfortunate how people's wanting authority can overshadow safety

Reactions: Mike S
From what I've hear from a friend that used to work at Busch Gardens...The answer is e-stop first and call supervisors later...I find it interesting that your experience happened the way it did...Unfortunate how people's wanting authority can overshadow safety
OSHA and other safety groups would support your decision without blinking an eye.
The ability to stop an operation, if it poses a threat to the integrity of the operation itself or those in/around it, rests with the person in control of the operation. No approval should be required to prevent an incident.

It's pretty much a law of supervisors. If you e-stopped it without checking with him, he'd be mad. If you checked with him first, he'd be mad cause you didn't e-stop it.

E-Stopping is a big deal but as long as you can justify that the safety of the ride/guests/team members was compromised then you're ok. That's how it generally is at Universal at least...

Reactions: Mike S
So it loads into the "theater" with the red seats - and why i assume you go from top and down, if because that's how the seating is done at these shows. Guests on the second level going into the space don't get run over with all the camera equipment and it keeps them away from the talent/etc..

Virtual queue confirmed! Universal Orlando Close Up | Your Wild Ride with Jimmy Fallon Begins April 6 - Close Up

“Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon” will be the first attraction to feature a Virtual Line experience at Universal Studios Florida.

You’ll be able to access this new system through The Official Universal Orlando Resort App or at kiosks located outside the attraction entrance. This allows you to virtually wait in line while still enjoying the rest of Universal Studios. When it’s your time, just head back to attraction, head inside, and get ready for the race of a lifetime.

Reactions: Mike S and Speed