Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 141 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't know if this was mentioned, but there's a balcony above the new restrooms that I've been told is a VIP viewing area for concerts:
C2tzw--UkAAA-iJ.jpg
It's great when Universal listens to me. If they do the other side (minion store) too, I'm happy. In the end this doesn't take away from the regular viewing area.
Great to see another ride with mainly unique merchandise.

I think we all forget how small the Twister gift shop was.

This looks noticeably smaller than Aftermath though..

The likely reason that the ride has no large queue and no large gift shop is because they're using up as much space as physically possible by putting a ride in a small building that was meant for shows. They need as much ride room as they can get without totally removing the queue and gift shop aspects of the building. Small queue & small gift shop= more attraction area to work with.

This looks noticeably smaller than Aftermath though..

The likely reason that the ride has no large queue and no large gift shop is because they're using up as much space as physically possible by putting a ride in a small building that was meant for shows. They need as much ride room as they can get without totally removing the queue and gift shop aspects of the building. Small queue & small gift shop= more attraction area to work with.
Plus two theaters instead of one to up capacity from a DM type level.

Reactions: Clive
The store seems pretty close to the size that Aftermath was. I think the Aftermath store could feel bigger when the attraction doors were open and I also thing this store will also feel bigger when they take the curtain down around the staircase. Also the exhibit stuff on the second floor factors in to the overall space for this attraction as well.

Aftermath was one of my least-favorite attraction gift shops in the park, but I guarantee I spent more money in there than I ever will in The Tonight Shop. Which is fine! Between The Film Vault and Diagon Alley, my wallet still hasn't recovered from my last trip, so I don't need another place for my money to go!

Great to see another ride with mainly unique merchandise.

Though the merchandise isn't to my taste, I agree with this. It looks like a shop filled with stuff you'll (mostly) only be able to get in there, which is how I prefer attraction gift shops to be.

Could it be that you aren't seeing that stuff because it is no longer on NBC?

I don't think this is the reason because they still have "The Office" merch in the NYC store when I was there in December. For comparison, the NBC store in NYC is about twice the size of this store, but only a bit more merchandise because the lines for registers take up a lot more space up there.

I don't think this is the reason because they still have "The Office" merch in the NYC store when I was there in December. For comparison, the NBC store in NYC is about twice the size of this store, but only a bit more merchandise because the lines for registers take up a lot more space up there.
More than anything it may be licensing issues. Just because a show is on NBC doesn't mean they have the rights to sell the products. Especially in a shop that may have specific licensing requirements of its own. While NBC owns the Tonight Show brand, I believe the Jimmy Fallon version of the Tonight Show is partially owned by Lorne Michaels and his production company Broadway Video. They may not want other merchandise being sold in the store competing with the sales of their merchandise that they are getting a cut of.

Reactions: maroonmol and Joel
More than anything it may be licensing issues. Just because a show is on NBC doesn't mean they have the rights to sell the products. Especially in a shop that may have specific licensing requirements of its own. While NBC owns the Tonight Show brand, I believe the Jimmy Fallon version of the Tonight Show is partially owned by Lorne Michaels and his production company Broadway Video. They may not want other merchandise being sold in the store competing with the sales of their merchandise that they are getting a cut of.
That sounds more like a legitimate reason.

Reactions: maroonmol
That being said, I'm surprised they haven't opened an NBC Universal store featuring all of their movies and TV shows somewhere in Citywalk, but maybe that's something on tap for the new expansions.

Reactions: maroonmol
Whoa whoa whoa... you're supposed to take away a previously existing free area and then charge for VIP viewing. You don't add capacity and build a brand new area. They're doing it wrong ;)
It was a restroom area before (entrance and exit). Due to a nice attraction (for all of us) they extended the restrooms (for all of us) and added viewing area's on top of it (probably for the whales). I think it's a fair deal (but indeed it took a bit away for the regular crowd) but I envisioned multiple levels where now the empty gray wall is that would thin out the regular area a bit. I hope the wall of the Minion store gets multi level viewing areas.

It was a restroom area before (entrance and exit). Due to a nice attraction (for all of us) they extended the restrooms (for all of us) and added viewing area's on top of it (probably for the whales). I think it's a fair deal (but indeed it took a bit away for the regular crowd) but I envisioned multiple levels where now the empty gray wall is that would thin out the regular area a bit. I hope the wall of the Minion store gets multi level viewing areas.

The emoji wink shows he is mocking the way Disney would have done it.