Happily Ever After | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Happily Ever After

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I got to agree with @epcyclopedia here. Why add a new nighttime show to a park that is already packed every night? It's unnecessary.

It also may end up taking away crowds from DAK during the nighttime, which seems counter to everything the company is hoping for this summer.

I got to agree with @epcyclopedia here. Why add a new nighttime show to a park that is already packed every night? It's unnecessary.

It also may end up taking away crowds from DAK during the nighttime, which seems counter to everything the company is hoping for this summer.
Yes, the timing seems peculiar. It would make more sense to do this next year, unless it's a cost cutting measure with less fireworks than Wishes had.

Because if you don't move forward you'll eventually become stale...Imagine being stuck with this still:

This kind of attitude is what is helping Disney stagnate right now....Why change? People are showing up, why bother? No good

Because if you don't move forward you'll eventually become stale...Imagine being stuck with this still:

This kind of attitude is what is helping Disney stagnate right now....Why change? People are showing up, why bother? No good

I'm not saying never add a new show, but why right before Pandora opens and right as RoL opens? It runs the risk of slightly cannabalizing their DAK nighttime projects. This would make a lot more sense next year when the only other new addition is Toy Story Land.

I'm not saying never add a new show, but why right before Pandora opens and right as RoL opens? It runs the risk of slightly cannabalizing their DAK nighttime projects. This would make a lot more sense next year when the only other new addition is Toy Story Land.
Well, RoL is awful so I imagine they wanted something to veil the failure?

Reactions: Joel
I would have thought adding two competing nighttime options at Disney World would extend a visitors stay on WDW property? Sure, some people might have to choose between spending the night at MK vs AK, but there are more visitors than ever now that are choosing to spend a day or two off-site. Having offerings like this would increase the chances that guests (non-local in particular) spend another night at WDW, rather than at the expense of one park over another.

During Christmas 2016, DHS sometimes only ran with one Fantasmic show which ended around the same time that the Holiday Fireworks at DHS started, forcing guests to choose between the two. This meant that guests who were only in town for a week or so, in theory at least, would go back to DHS for another evening to catch the other offering.

With ROL's schedule there is already going to be an insane crossover from AK to MK immediately after the show.

You can watch ROL and then hop to MK and see this brand new show.

When Tapestry was in its final days at Epcot, transportation, turnstiles, etc... was a massive labor cost just for the flock of guests that would come just before the parade and then the other guests that would leave right after.

The number coming and going evened each other out, so they were spending a lot of money just moving guests around for a labor intensive show. Closing the show took a lot of strain off transportation and was seen as a massive cost savings.

Encouraging exactly this sort of behavior at AK by giving people more reasons to hit the show and then leave the park (if you did AVATAR during the day there is still nothing else to do at AK at night) and then having a huge lure at MK is not going to bode well.

It's going to be sad because it was one of the things Roy Disney lobbied for as part of his agreement to retire from the board. So one of the last things that a Disney family member had their hands in. I guess if they still keep a daily fireworks show they're still keeping their promise to him though.

A new firework show at Magic Kingdom will have no effect on the other parks. People will go to the Magic Kingdom no matter what. That I know of, Disney has no problem of getting people to the Magic Kingdom, the other parks are a whole different issue.

There are still people who just decide "we've seen Wishes a thousand times, we don't need to stay and see it again. Let's beat the traffic and get out before the show starts...". This will keep those guests in the park and if it includes some of the new and very popular music (Frozen, Moana, Tangled, etc.) which were released since Wishes was made ten years ago, it goes that much further to sell things. You've got to keep things fresh and since MK isn't getting a new attraction any time soon, this is SOMETHING they can advertise as "new".

Illuminations is on tap to be replaced in the next couple of years, but Wishes will cost a fortune to replace since it uses more than just music and fireworks. Wishes you just change the soundtrack and a few shells and their timing, and you'r pretty much done.

Reactions: Nick
I honestly cannot believe we are having a discussion like this when Disney announced a NEW nightly fireworks show. Wishes was fine, but it's been around since 2003 and fireworks shows are easy and cheap to replace.
As I said early, I understand what @epcyclopedia is trying to say, but I greatly disagree with it in the context that we are talking about here.

Wishes has been rumored to go away for at least 2 years now, as well. It's not like this is just some overnight thing they pulled out of thin air.

You would think that WDW had announced getting rid of Wishes with no replacement with how some are reacting.

Reactions: Joel
I don't think I've see anyone here say that Wishes being replaced in and of itself is bad.

Maybe over on the DisBoards some mommy blogger is breathing in a bag between popping oxy tabs.

But here we're moreso curious why they seem to be intentionally sabotaging AK's moment with the press.

Reactions: Jones14 and Nick
I don't think I've see anyone here say that Wishes being replaced in and of itself is bad.

Maybe over on the DisBoards some mommy blogger is breathing in a bag between popping oxy tabs.

But here we're moreso curious why they seem to be intentionally sabotaging AK's moment with the press.
The reason so much was announced within a short period of time is because the Disney Social Media Mom's Conference was being held over the past few days, so they decided to get opening dates out of the way I guess.

I agree that announcing a new MK show on the same day that RoL's opening day got announced is a tough pill to swallow, but RoL is a year late to the party at this point anyway. I certainly wouldn't want them putting off a project simply because RoL couldn't get it's crap together for a timely opening.

The only thing I can guess about this situation is they're preparing to raise the ticket prices, so they wanted to announce it now to make the new price sting less in the guests eyes. ("They're opening this, this -and- this, so it's understandable they're jacking the prices up.")

Other then that, I don't know. What makes is weird for me is on one hand, I'm all for a new fireworks show at MK. An' I'm seeing a good amount of people who feel the same way, they're really excited for it! On the other hand, AK needs all the thunder it can get...thunder which can be easily stolen from a new MK fireworks show that people are really excited about. But then again, the current state of RoL is not doing itself any favors. It's actually fitting in a sad way that the show is supposedly finally going to open...and it get's overshadowed by the next nighttime show at MK.

My biggest problem is I'm worried they will do what they did to Star Wars and take away most of the fireworks and use the projection mapping to fill in the rest of the show and they don't need that considering they already have a show with only projection and no fireworks.