Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 290 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes you wonder how Disney managed to blow so much money on MM+

Because MM+ also includes guest accounts (MDX), restaurant reservation upgrades (couldn't book online prior to MDX), hotel bookings, attraction bookings prior to visit, and many many many things that were never turned on after Senator Franken sent Bob Iger a letter about privacy concerns with children (tracking, advertising, etc)

Because MM+ also includes guest accounts (MDX), restaurant reservation upgrades (couldn't book online prior to MDX), hotel bookings, attraction bookings prior to visit, and many many many things that were never turned on after Senator Franken sent Bob Iger a letter about privacy concerns with children (tracking, advertising, etc)

Plus all the physical parts and everything has to be networked together. It's mind numbly complex.

Plus all the physical parts and everything has to be networked together. It's mind numbly complex.

Yes. They may seem similar, and arguably guests won't know or care but under the hood they are two very different beasts.

The lo-q infrastructure is largely based on cellular connectivity, some of the hardware even have SIM cards embedded within them. Q-bots communicated essentially by sending SMS messages. It's stunningly simple when you think about it.

I'm curious to see how far Universal go with the system, Merlin Entertainments have recently started rolling out a full accesso suite across their entire attraction portfolio, though this is largely the ticketing, retail sales and annual pass side of things rather than queue management.

Reactions: Alicia
I guess Disney has a legacy system, build up over the years over different hotels and parks to serve their unique needs, build up over many years. Incorporating each ride, payment flow, hotel stay and more makes it complex. After introduction stuff like connecting more accounts to make more families vacation together made it even more complex. The list goes on.

I think the Tapu Tapu is more complex, more a device then a simple rfid chip on a plastic band, with all content in the cloud. It can't react back, it's a one way communication.
For Universal to make this the next gen magic band they would need to work together with Loews Hotels and part of City Walk. Building modular on that. Not to difficult, I guess. Universal is good in working with other companies and I guess that Loews software is uniform for all their hotels.

But it all depends in how far Universal wants to take this system. Although all neurotic planner have a ball at Disney, a lot of people don't like the system cause it takes the spontaneity out of the vacation. As a result lines only got longer and the vacation more stressful. I think Universal is o.k. with using this as a reservation tool that actually give guests time to eat, shop or relax instead of standing in lines. As a result their revenue and satisfaction level from guests rise.

Reactions: Nick and 12th Man
I mean I guess this could be quick service, but there appears to be a mixed drink at the table.

Attachments

• IMG_8856.PNG
    IMG_8856.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: ArchieAndrews
But how lengthy is the setup process going to be for each guest?

And how do you keep people from swapping bands?
Or taking someone elses bands.

With the current plan being to give back the band at the end of the day, seems like a security issue to link your credit card info too.

If the Tapu is the Prism one, that answers the question on if you can only be in one virtual line. It looks like at least 3 lines you could be in at one time.

Or taking someone elses bands.

With the current plan being to give back the band at the end of the day, seems like a security issue to link your credit card info too.

If the Tapu is the Prism one, that answers the question on if you can only be in one virtual line. It looks like at least 3 lines you could be in at one time.

If they go to the route where you can purchase with them or use them as room keys, you won't be turning those in. They'll either be an upcharge band you keep, or they'll give them to you to entice you to make purchases. It might also involve some two stage authentication for purchases to prevent fraud.

I've been lurking here for a long time, finally decided to join because I was looking through the latest MickeyXtreme aerials and I noticed that just north of the taniwha tubes exit pool there is a round structure in the middle of the path leading back to them...wondering if it could be the first actual taputapu touch point?

Reactions: Quint and fryoj
It's also how express will work.

Instead of it issuing a return time, if you've paid for express it will simply allow you immediate access to the attraction.

Nice and seamless.
Considering this park is largely marketed at on site guests, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I've been lurking here for a long time, finally decided to join because I was looking through the latest MickeyXtreme aerials and I noticed that just north of the taniwha tubes exit pool there is a round structure in the middle of the path leading back to them...wondering if it could be the first actual taputapu touch point?

Good catch. Looks like there are rope bridges in the queue going over the river as well.

02272017UORVolcbay15.jpg

I've asked this before but never really gotten an answer. How much of the land in the pic below (specifically the dirt area where all the trailers are) is available for park expansion?

02272017UORVolcbay15.jpg

Reactions: Scott W.
Pretty sure this was already listed somewhere, but new-ish Tapu Tapu details have been released: Universal Orlando Close Up | How to Use Your TapuTapu Wearable - Close Up

They're really pushing Tapu Tapu for virtual lines only. Even the little interactives around the park seem like they're a second thought. I really think that this is v1 for an eventual resort-wide Universal MM+ with payments, room keys, etc, etc.

Pretty sure this was already listed somewhere, but new-ish Tapu Tapu details have been released: Universal Orlando Close Up | How to Use Your TapuTapu Wearable - Close Up

They're really pushing Tapu Tapu for virtual lines only. Even the little interactives around the park seem like they're a second thought. I really think that this is v1 for an eventual resort-wide Universal MM+ with payments, room keys, etc, etc.
Yea, I hope it does go property-wide. In reading up on the capabilities of the system they can actually have different levels of queue ranks. So there can be a level for unlimited Express like hotel guests, a different level for one-time use Express that you buy, and level for regular guests. Over time more rides could offer virtual queues like Fallon so everyone can reserve times all (most) rides. Express users could just tap to go right on. Etc.

I talked a little about the different levels capability in this post: Technical Details for Volcano Bay’s TapuTapu Wearable Revealed – Orlando ParkStop

Status
Not open for further replies.