Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

Can I take the high road and say that people have learned how poorly 3D translates to video and decided it isn't worth it?

I'm amazed that nobody has yet thought to video 3D through a pair of glasses. Sure, you'll only see one image but at least in theory it should be clear. Going for the Google glasses idea again, putting your 3D glasses over them, might actually work.

Not that I'm condoning somebody actually do it.

I'm amazed that nobody has yet thought to video 3D through a pair of glasses. Sure, you'll only see one image but at least in theory it should be clear. Going for the Google glasses idea again, putting your 3D glasses over them, might actually work.

Not that I'm condoning somebody actually do it.

I filmed Spider-Man through a 3D lens. It helped nominally, but obscured more field of vision and was a pain in the butt. Apparently human eyes and cameras see differently since it still showed up kinda double. Might be my camera type though.

I filmed Spider-Man through a 3D lens. It helped nominally, but obscured more field of vision and was a pain in the butt. Apparently human eyes and cameras see differently since it still showed up kinda double. Might be my camera type though.
Was it something like this?
Amazon product ASIN B003ZHV70M
I would think if you put one half of the glasses over each lens it would work

Edit: I didn't get the page but something like the Lumix on that page?

20 seconds of various clips from the ridefilm has been officially released and um.

This is so weird and quirky. Is there music actually going on that wasn't released because... yeah:

I haven't been monitoring closely and I know soft opens can be random but has this ride been operating regularly during park hours for the past few days? Thanks in advance.

20 seconds of various clips from the ridefilm has been officially released and um.

This is so weird and quirky. Is there music actually going on that wasn't released because... yeah:

Huh, alright. I'm really curious what the lines for this will look like by end of summer. I have the feeling that the ride won't be encouraging many repeats.

Huh, alright. I'm really curious what the lines for this will look like by end of summer. I have the feeling that the ride won't be encouraging many repeats.
I would imagine it will be more like a Disaster, where you experience it once or twice on a trip, since each experience (with live acts queue) is going to take 30 minutes or so. That doesn't really lend itself to a lot of repeat rides since it occupies a large chunk of time. So, it's more of a total attraction then just a ride per se like a SpiderMan or Transformers where it's 4 minutes at a clip.

Yes, normally there's music, and more sound effects/backgrounds too. It's even hard to hear some of the things he's saying with all that's going on. But I do remember laughing at "listen to my voice in the tuuuuube."

The theater itself is so sad and not themed. Reminds me of a regional parks "FX Theater", plain black everywhere and a large screen in the front. Seats very hard. Seems like a low quality ride system.

The theater itself is so sad and not themed. Reminds me of a regional parks "FX Theater", plain black everywhere and a large screen in the front. Seats very hard. Seems like a low quality ride system.
I think the seats are hard because they have to be solid to withstand the torture of movement every day. No harder than Star Tours seats.

I tell you what though, when the curtain opens and we see the Tonight show stage, it feels real for a few seconds. The theming is all in front of you. Kind of reminds me of Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. The most believable 3D is a stationary stage. Oh, it's Tough to be a Bug too. All stage based shows.

Ride this today finally.
My thoughts:

Museum downstairs was decent. The lobby was very well done. The upstairs was just okay. I expected my more than a few tv screens to play games on and watch clips of the Tonight Show. The Ragtime Gals...awesome. Best part of the whole experience.

The preshow...nobody wanted to clap when the applause sign came on. I just laughed. The safety spiel is great.

The ride itself: definitely a cross between Simpsons and Despicable Me. The screen is huge and the 3-D is decent, but for the first time on a screen based attraction, I actually got dizzy and nauseous. Oh, and only half the ride is actually a race through New York.

Overall I thought it was ok. As good as I'd expected(the ride portion...I was less impressed with the queue after everyone's glowing praise for it.) I give the attraction a 5/10.
Getting off, the older people in front of me loved it. The teens behind me said it was boring, and another couple said "that was just like the last ride." Seems like the general consensus is a mixed bag.

I thought they would work in some different variations of the video to have different celebrity guests but... so far, it seems like it's just one straight shot video. Interesting that Universal of all people hasn't offered any randomization on any of their screen attractions for repeatability.

The theater isn't just plain black walls. The lower half has wood grain panels that match the wood grain on the seats.

It is easily 90% plain black walls. There's only a little bit of wood on the back of the theater.

The theater looks like it belongs at a regional park where it's film gets changed every season. It's easily the most off the shelf biggest POS Universal has ever built.

It is easily 90% plain black walls. There's only a little bit of wood on the back of the theater.

The theater looks like it belongs at a regional park where it's film gets changed every season. It's easily the most off the shelf biggest POS Universal has ever built.
Echm...
Shrekcharacter.jpg