Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day Adventure Island had the best tube ride built into the mountain /rockwork with a few twisty slides.

It wasnt very tall but had a decent fun level - more than one splashdown pool where a lifeguard would grab your tube and fling you down the next segment.

And brilliant because it wasn't in a typical slide pipe. Rather the ground it was on was set in the rockwork and then covered with a squishy membrane. Kind of like the faux turf they use in kiddie play areas and water areas now - but smooth.

So though it was bumpy and you bounced off the walls the whole thing was padded.

Back in the day Adventure Island had the best tube ride built into the mountain /rockwork with a few twisty slides.

It wasnt very tall but had a decent fun level - more than one splashdown pool where a lifeguard would grab your tube and fling you down the next segment.

And brilliant because it wasn't in a typical slide pipe. Rather the ground it was on was set in the rockwork and then covered with a squishy membrane. Kind of like the faux turf they use in kiddie play areas and water areas now - but smooth.

So though it was bumpy and you bounced off the walls the whole thing was padded.
That does sound fun. It's not there anymore?

That does sound fun. It's not there anymore?

Did some digging. Was called Barratuba - closed when Aruba Tuba opened. Now it's an elaborate flowerbed on that side of the mountain thingy. Rumors say it was closed because someone broke some bones because of how it was concrete on the landscape and not very forgiving - but when I rode it was definitely squishy. So maybe that was a change made after the injury and to tide it over until the new slide opened.

Aruba Tuba uses the same sort of concepts but with a slide-pipe structure. Even the splashdown pools where a lifeguard flings you into the next segment.

I'll say, I was wrong for thinkng they wouldn't have enough attractions to start in the amount of space they were working with. I'm very intrigued by the number of slides and attractions, not to forget the food options as well.

Truly amazing to see being constructed. When it is all done, I believe I will have a new found love for Universal.
It looks like a lot of fun...but I think an expansion will be warranted shortly after opening. This place is going to be very popular and get packed quickly.

It looks like a lot of fun...but I think an expansion will be warranted shortly after opening. This place is going to be very popular and get packed quickly.
And not only will it be packed & popular, but it will probably have spending per guest much higher than other water parks. It will be dominated by a high spending demographic, onsite hotel guests, no doubt.

As VB approaches opening day, I'm starting to have these weird mixed emotions. The park itself looks amazing. I'll be visiting in spring 2018. I've shared many of these updates and progress videos with my whole family in anticipation and they are just as excited as I am. I just can't help but feel like it will be sad to watch this thread eventually end. I joined OU forums specifically to follow the progress of VB and now it's almost here. I feel like one of my children is moving out. The Nintendo Land thread better not disappoint me...and you ALL better be there :cheers:

I'm exactly the same, joined here to keep up with progress after getting back from my Orlando visit just before they started construction and now feel I need to move onto another project to keep an eye on! Star wars land I will invest some time into but most of the good images only come from aerials. Volcano bay has had an open view from the ground from numerous locations so we have very good constant clear updates. Hopefully Nintendo land will be a great watch.

Anybody got pictures on the construction work for this attarction. View attachment 3964View attachment 3965

Simply go back a few pages through this thread for the latest aerials or search my posts on my username for anything stating aerials or mickeyxtreme. Its the water coaster for reference.

I'm exactly the same, joined here to keep up with progress after getting back from my Orlando visit just before they started construction and now feel I need to move onto another project to keep an eye on! Star wars land I will invest some time into but most of the good images only come from aerials. Volcano bay has had an open view from the ground from numerous locations so we have very good constant clear updates. Hopefully Nintendo land will be a great watch.

Oh yes and don't forget the Wet & Wild plot! I imagine something is going to start to happen there pretty quickly. Lots of fun things on the horizon

I know. It is what it is. I'm still very much looking forward to riding it and irrationally fearing for my life :yikes:

I've ridden the blue thunder at Rapids, and the drops looks the same. When I went on that the drop it felt almost verticals and the raft was going to flip. I'm actually pretty scared.

I believe the square "ruins" on the right side of the volcano in this picture is another wave machine for the Fearless River.
I'm guessing we should be expecting something very similar at VB? Especially the wave at 20secs.

There is a square building just off the lazy river if you look to the bottom left hand corner.

03122017VoBay7.jpg

I believe the square "ruins" on the right side of the volcano in this picture is another wave machine for the Fearless River.

I was thinking the exact same thing! There are early construction photos that show it pretty good. However it is elevated which was odd. But if you look closely the walls to the river near there are pretty tall indicating that waves are quite possible there.

Attachments

• 2016.07.15 - 03.jpg
    2016.07.15 - 03.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 52
Did some digging. Was called Barratuba - closed when Aruba Tuba opened. Now it's an elaborate flowerbed on that side of the mountain thingy. Rumors say it was closed because someone broke some bones because of how it was concrete on the landscape and not very forgiving - but when I rode it was definitely squishy. So maybe that was a change made after the injury and to tide it over until the new slide opened.

Aruba Tuba uses the same sort of concepts but with a slide-pipe structure. Even the splashdown pools where a lifeguard flings you into the next segment.
The Barratuba was a tube ride, where wahoo run is .
Barratuba was my favorite water park ride ever.
The ride was like a downhill lazy river part slip n slide. There was a 150 yard straight away near the end, I would dump my tube and superman all the way down. The ride surface was like a wrestling or gymnastics mat so it had some give.

I just visited Water World in Colorado, and boy oh boy do they have a few awesome attractions! There's Lost River of the Pharoahs and Voyage to the Center of the Earth...both are like actual dark rides with animatronics, sound, and lighting effects. I truly hope Universal goes this route with a few of their rides. It's so rare in the Waterpark industry.

I know this is a really old quote but I live in CO and just visited WW last year and that Voyage ride is probably the best water ride I have ever ridden.

I know this is a really old quote but I live in CO and just visited WW last year and that Voyage ride is probably the best water ride I have ever ridden.
Looks cool but I think it could be done much better with modern tech and a bigger budget. Hard to tell from a video but it has the bones of a great ride

They haven't shown us any animated figures or even hinted at them so I suspect pretty scenery is about the extent of it.

Side note: Disney has Festival of Fantasy delayed until 5pm on the 8th. They only do hat if Main Street or the stage will be in use. I suspect a shot across the bow of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.