The Offical D23 Thread | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Offical D23 Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just tried to click the JOIN button and it was down. I really want to be apart of this. LOVE Disney so this is right up my alley. Just sucks the Expo is in Anaheim... of course. Maybe we will get it next year.

So am I the only one not buying into the hype? :lol:

D23 Expo and Member Special Events: The D23 Expo – to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center from September 10-13, 2009 -- ... All Disney fans are welcome, but D23 members will receive a discount on Expo admissions and early access to the show daily.

So basically your $75 is going towards four 40-paged magazines, a certificate and early access to "a wide assortment of Walt Disney Archives Collection pieces".

It's no real secret that Disney doesn't really give a darn about their die-hard fans. Just take a look at the abomination that is the Disney Passholder's website or the fact that Epcot's 25th Anniversary had to be organized by fans long before Disney ever stepped in to "take over" because they were getting so much flack for not doing anything.

I also love how you will receive emails with the latest news. Keep in mind that this will only be what they WANT you to know. Reading OU or any fan site on the internet will give you the same information... plus the bad... plus the rumors on what's to come that they don't want you to know about. :yawn:

Sorry, but at least for now I'm not impressed. :bang:

I wasn't too excited either. At first I thought the Expo would be for members only so that might've given me reason to join, but since anyone can go to that I don't really see the point in joining the club.

D23 Expo and Member Special Events: The D23 Expo – to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center from September 10-13, 2009 -- ... All Disney fans are welcome, but D23 members will receive a discount on Expo admissions and early access to the show daily.

So basically your $75 is going towards four 40-paged magazines, a certificate and early access to "a wide assortment of Walt Disney Archives Collection pieces".

It's no real secret that Disney doesn't really give a darn about their die-hard fans. Just take a look at the abomination that is the Disney Passholder's website or the fact that Epcot's 25th Anniversary had to be organized by fans long before Disney ever stepped in to "take over" because they were getting so much flack for not doing anything.

I also love how you will receive emails with the latest news. Keep in mind that this will only be what they WANT you to know. Reading OU or any fan site on the internet will give you the same information... plus the bad... plus the rumors on what's to come that they don't want you to know about. :yawn:

Though you peed all over it... :lol: you did shine a new light on it and you are actually right. 75 is a lot too. If it were 30-40, maybe.
I didnt think anything was really done for EPCOT's 25th? Which is ridiculous. I know a lot of fans were organizing meet ups and stuff, but did Disney ever do anything special?

I used to be a member of The Disney Club, but the only reason was that you got a discount on all things Disney. From DVDs to Hotel Rooms and Park Tickets. You also got a subscription to The Disney Magazine. And it only cost $25. $75 and the only discount admission is to an Expo I won't get to go to?

PASS!

I didnt think anything was really done for EPCOT's 25th? Which is ridiculous. I know a lot of fans were organizing meet ups and stuff, but did Disney ever do anything special?
Disney threw some stuff together once the fans had gotten a bunch of media attention for what they were doing.

Exactly. The fans pretty much did everything for Epcot and at the last minute Disney decided to do their own thing since the whole thing obviously made them look awful.

I agree with the major sentiment on this site. I would be enticed to join...but the price tag is way too high for a quarterly magazine and a collectible upon joining. There's no way I could make most of (if not all) of the special events and I more than likely wouldn't purchase the vast majority of the special merchandise...even with the discount.

And does anyone else think that this is pretty poor timing to open this "club" in this type of economy??!

I agree with the major sentiment on this site. I would be enticed to join...but the price tag is way too high for a quarterly magazine and a collectible upon joining. There's no way I could make most of (if not all) of the special events and I more than likely wouldn't purchase the vast majority of the special merchandise...even with the discount.

And does anyone else think that this is pretty poor timing to open this "club" in this type of economy??!

I think Disney is in the minority group of "People who think 'It's not a recession, it's a slump'". :lol:

Here's a blogger that I happen to agree with.

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/2009/03/im-no-fool-no-sirree.html

BRING BACK THE DISNEY CLUB!

picturep.jpg

My family used to be apart of The Disney Club. Something along those lines should be what they are doing now.
It's comes off as a cool idea, but for me, the prices tag PER YEAR is just too high for what it entails.
I love Disney and all but just can't swing it, because I would have to get it for 2 most likely. Not happening.

The Disney Club was $25, and basically gave you AP discounts and the now defunct Disney Magazine. This is what they need in these tough economic times. Not a $75 path to overpriced exclusive merchendise. Oh and a pin.

Well I went ahead and joined, I will let you all know how it is. I am willing to give it a shot for a year, hopefully they will do more things like the up screening.

Definitely not the only one...and from what I've read on some other message boards, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's actually infuriated at this whole thing. :mad: Here's what I posted:

Well, I’d like to jump on the bandwagon and be one of the first to point out this is a case of "the Emperor has no clothes!" :confused:
The magazine itself is nice. Not great. But nice. Conceptually, it’s a good idea. But seriously, this stuff is kinda terrible. And waaaay overpriced. What’s even better? The super-overpriced stuff (like the $800 pen) aren’t even D23 exclusive - they’re just under the banner of “Walt Disney Signature Collection.” I’m just so underwhelmed - and I can’t imagine what Disney’s thinking - especially in this economy! Really, a Polo with 23 stitched on it? (Which again, isn’t D23-member exclusive). They may as well have printed shirts that say, “Are You An Idiot?.”
Furthermore, I’m kind of disgusted with the whole, “D23 is “The Official Community for Disney Fans” — the first of its kind in the Company’s 85-year history.” It seems to me like kind of a slap in the face for already-established communities like the Passporter, DIS, All-Ears, etc that have worked very hard to bring together groups of people that share the same love for Disney. And who, by the way, don’t have to CHARGE for it. To me, D23 is kind of like having to buy your friends. Speaking of which, for a so-called online community, where’s the message boards?
I’d rather they released 23 movies on Blu-Ray, as one of the rumors went. BTW, did anyone ACTUALLY get a notification email? Neither my husband nor I did. I’m glad that was just a ploy for Disney to get me to sign up to their emailing list. I’m sure I’ll be getting plenty of spam from them in the future. Ugh. I’m just so disgusted right now.

I believe "Are you 23?" actually refers to one's IQ level. I've heard rumors that Disney will also start selling ocean front DVC rooms in Arizona... D23 exclusive, of course.

Edit: La la laaaa. There was never a long, angry, anti-Disney COMPANY rant here. Move along people, nothing to see here. :lol:

The only good thing in Disney right now is John Lasseter. I'm sorry, but Iger is worse than Eisner, IMHO. :bang:

I'd give you a "Yeah That" icon, if you had one! The whole R U 23 thing has just opened my eyes even more. Say what you want about Eisner, but he seemed to at least "get it" about the Disney fans (even if he alienated non-Disney people even more). I just finished reading "Disney War" by James Stewart - a completely fascinating, unbiased book about the downfall of Eisner and the rise of Roy O and Bob Iger. I totally recommend it if you're wanting to compare the company "then" and "now."

After Frank Wells died I thought Eisner was the worst thing to happen to Disney. Especially after visiting Disney's California Adventure. I was wrong.

I'd give you a "Yeah That" icon, if you had one! The whole R U 23 thing has just opened my eyes even more. Say what you want about Eisner, but he seemed to at least "get it" about the Disney fans (even if he alienated non-Disney people even more). I just finished reading "Disney War" by James Stewart - a completely fascinating, unbiased book about the downfall of Eisner and the rise of Roy O and Bob Iger. I totally recommend it if you're wanting to compare the company "then" and "now."
People can say what they want about Eisner, but compared to Iger, I really like the guy. How many people could tell you what Iger looks like? Hell, how many people that aren't die hard Disney fans (or own stock) even know who Iger is? EVERYONE knew, and still knows, Eisner. He was a much more public figure and I appreciated his introductions at the beginning of each Wonderful World of Disney. Eisner also seemed to know, or at least acted like he knew, what the inside of a Disney theme park looked like. Iger, to me, seems very uninterested with the theme parks, so it's a good think we have Lasseter (maybe he'll even eventually start caring about WDW half as much as Disneyland!). Humor me, Iger. At least make up some BS about a new Disney Decade. I don't even care if 50% of it comes to fruition.

I think the Walt Disney Company is much more of a "rapacious, soul-less" company than it was back in the 90s.