Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Back to the Future: The Ride

So the 30th anniversery blu-ray contains the SAME old 2002 ride footage.

I have thus created a slightly better version using adobe premeire. With a combination of the bluray , two vhs copies , two different ride monitor laser disc copies , and my own vehicle bitmap with a working bump map that looks a little more like the ride dashboard.

I also fixed the begining and ending so it's closer to the original ride

The windsheild frame actually hides the transition from the bluray footage to the vhs footage , I agree I wish I could do it without it but it helps a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vrbMq5btmmQ?feature=oembed

Absolutely beautiful job, that gave me chills! Best edit of The Ride to date!

I think it's a crime that they haven't released a remastered HD version of the ride with this new release.

Maybe eventually in the future with a 4K release.

I feel that Back to the Future is too big of a property to NOT have in the park. Sure in the Studio Tour we pass by "Hill Valley" and the famous clock tower, but I'm sure a lot of people would love another arrival of a BTTF attraction!

Universal doesn't feel that it's a big property, like, at all. We just had the BIGGEST and most significant day for BTTF fans everywhere, and Universal did NOTHING, it was all a private group called We're Going Back that organized everything. I mean, the DeLorean rotting on the Backlot for a decade or two was a clear reminder.

Ok guys I've been working on this for a long time. It's a 4k upscale of all the available ride footage edited to the best of my current ability.

Please note if you don't have a 4k display the option to view it in 4k doesn't show up but can still be seen in 1080.

This is just the raw reel with no lens compensation. I will make another version that fixes the lens so you can see how it would look on the actual screen.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ASiqneqrdn0?feature=oembed
Video's used:

blu ray rip (center box)
vhs pre release capture (outer edges) credit Koren Young
old youtube vhs (for some colors)

Software:

adobe premiere
adobe after effects

Methods:

Aligning each frame to 23.97 fps
detail preserving upscale and noise reduction
unsharp masking
frame blending to 60fps in camera movement areas
colorizing black and white footage
minor cuts and edits to make transitions smoother (no time/frame loss)

Audio

Back to the future the ride theme (music)
vhs youtube back to the future the ride (sound effects)

That was beautiful! Amazing job! Almost seamless! Pity that Universal released such a crappy AND cropped standard definition version of the footage for the Bluray release. Hopefully once the films are rereleased in 4K, we'll get a proper transfer of this masterpiece of ride film. Great job again!

Hello everyone I have remade my back to the future ride experience videos and have also included a 3d version which works with google 3d vr or carboard compatible devices , and also worked on creating a master file for the vehicles screen too.

4k RIDE ANIMATION

3D 4K RIDE ANIMATION

IN CAR MONITOR MASTER

I still think if the ride story is set around 2085 or so on, the ride would have lasted longer at all three Universal parks (Orlando, Los Angeles, and Osaka). Since BTTF is Universal's own IP, they didn't have to share money with anyone and the franchise is still as popular as it was 30 years ago. The Simpsons and its land itself isn't that bad, but compare that to BTTF, it feels timeless, if only the ride is set around ten times further than 2015, it wouldn't feel awkward considering that year already passed by.

Just loved that ride. When I rode it in 2004, it was my favorite theme park attraction. :thumbsup:A bit rough, but a great experience nonetheless.

I still think if the ride story is set around 2085 or so on, the ride would have lasted longer at all three Universal parks (Orlando, Los Angeles, and Osaka). Since BTTF is Universal's own IP, they didn't have to share money with anyone and the franchise is still as popular as it was 30 years ago. The Simpsons and its land itself isn't that bad, but compare that to BTTF, it feels timeless, if only the ride is set around ten times further than 2015, it wouldn't feel awkward considering that year already passed by.

Or come up with a story that makes it take place in an alternative timeline. But either way that footage was starting to look a little dated compared to what can be done today. I loved the ride and I still miss it, but I can understand why they got rid of it.

Never heard this before but it appears that BTTF was originally planned to go on top of the parking garage where Despicable Me / SLOP sits today. Anyone have any more info on this?!?

Not sure how far the plans ever progressed before they settled on the final location but the below shows their orifginal plans for the top of the Frankenstein parking garage:
LA Tour / Top Deck ExpansionUniversal City, CA | Ewing Architects
MCA_TOP-DECK-Site-Plan-.jpg

Never heard this before but it appears that BTTF was originally planned to go on top of the parking garage where Despicable Me / SLOP sits today. Anyone have any more info on this?!?

Not sure how far the plans ever progressed before they settled on the final location but the below shows their orifginal plans for the top of the Frankenstein parking garage:
LA Tour / Top Deck ExpansionUniversal City, CA | Ewing Architects
MCA_TOP-DECK-Site-Plan-.jpg

This is..low-key amazing to look at.