The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood | Page 237 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Rode today without the 3-D. Not much of a difference resolution wise, but my did I feel today's ride to be MUCH more intense than usual. 

Also - warm butterbeer is soooo good. Didn't think it was worth the hype, glad I was wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ryan and Jonathan
In regards to the Holiday Great Feast menu at Three Broomsticks, is it even possible to get any of the items ala cart?  I'm mostly interested in the soup.  The beef wellington looks good too, but I don't think I'd be able to find 3 other people to share the meal with.  :/

I was wondering the same thing. I won't be able to find four people that will want to split it with me either. My girlfriend has a gluten allergy and can't eat most of those items to top it all off.

I ended up liking FJ a lot more without the 3D glasses. The colors are much more vibrant, some of the bad 3D blur is gone, and you can see more of each scene because your peripheral vision isn't blocked. Great change in my opinion.

Certainly would make for an easy addition in a year without any additions...

I have no clue how viewing would be arranged however. Curious to see how they would handle that.

Question: It was said that the Hollywood 'film footage' is different from Orlando's. What are the differences? I'm sure they're minor but it's nice to know we have our own version.

Question: It was said that the Hollywood 'film footage' is different from Orlando's. What are the differences? I'm sure they're minor but it's nice to know we have our own version.

Off the top of my head, the dragon here breaths fire and there's an odd echo during that scene when Harry shouts at Hagrid.

Reactions: 12th Man

I was told during the Quidditch match the score announcer was added during the film. I could have proved it last week in orlando but FJ is currently down for refurb. 

They did remove the "stand in" voice for Harry Potter at the end of the ride which said "Please hand your goggles to a student before you leave."

Another difference is that the Snitch flys around right in front of your face right after the whomping willow during the Quidditch match in Hollywood. 

Reactions: William
Another difference is that in Orlando's version the dragon loops around the rock before the bridge. In the California's version they added the video of the dragon putting its face in yours.

Another difference is that the Snitch flies around right in front of your face right after the whomping willow during the Quidditch match in Hollywood. 

Is that still there now that it's 2D? I don't really remember that part very well, but sounds like something that wouldn't work well in 2D.

Apparently a lighting test will be performed on the castle's exterior in the coming days. Is an announcement coming?

Depends on the fixtures. If they have a temp looking set up, then it could be for a private party or special event / announcement. If the projectors / lighting towers are being placed where they're not easily visible from within the land - Then it could be for a night time show / new entertainment offering.

Is that still there now that it's 2D? I don't really remember that part very well, but sounds like something that wouldn't work well in 2D.

Actually, I think it works relatively well.  Not great, but it also doesn't stick out in a bad way.  It goes by very quickly, so you really don't get much time to think about it.

I do believe that the above posts nailed all the differences between Orlando and Hollywood.  I'll also update that the "scrolling" effect in the final screens is now smoothed out.

And to give my 2 cents, one thing that the 2D version does much better is give a better sense of immersion, now that your peripheral vision is also being utilized.  With the glasses it was blocked off, so it now gives a greater sense of an encompassing environment in the screens.

On the downside, I've also noticed that if you look down at your legs or restraints, you can see projections on them, which I never noticed before with the glasses on.

A light test could be interesting, I'm hoping for it.

And don't forget, if anyone has any insight of being able to order a smaller/single portion of the Holiday Great Feast at Three Broomsticks, let me know.

Reactions: chris.g
I went on Forbidden Journey last night for the first time since the switchover to non 3D. The lighting is still VERY bright and I could see the backstage areas/equipment and the preceding vehicle ahead, which has never happened when I rode the Florida counterpart. The park seem packed but both FJ and FOTH were walk ons around 8pm. Huge lines for Three Broomsticks and Hogs Head; I waited over 30 mins to order a meal. The wind blew the falling "snow" from Grinchmas towards Hogsmeade and coupled with the icy facades and cold weather, made for a truly magical sight. 

For what it's worth, there were some recent testings at USH for Hogwarts Castle in terms of spotlights (akin to what the Grand Opening finale showcased publicly to everyone earlier in the year..). And another thing, Orlando has also recently cut down the sizes of their trees next to Hogwarts Castle as well..

Apparently a lighting test will be performed on the castle's exterior in the coming days. Is an announcement coming?
For what it's worth, there were some recent testings at USH for Hogwarts Castle in terms of spotlights (akin to what the Grand Opening finale showcased publicly to everyone earlier in the year..). And another thing, Orlando has also recently cut down the sizes of their trees next to Hogwarts Castle as well..

Yeah, Jon posted about this last Wednesday.

Reactions: BernardMesa