Characters in Flight | Inside Universal Forums

Characters in Flight

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Testing was being done today.

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

Ok that looks really scary. I'm sure I'll eventually do it though. The pictures from up there would be awesome!

I haven't seen this ride yet, lol, and I was there this past Sunday. Actually, I haven't been to the West Side for a while. The last time I was on the West Side was Dec. 31st, where I parked in the back area of it to go get a bus ride to get to MK to watch the fireworks.

Some more info from TheDisneyBlog.com

Guests looking for that extra special experience will want to check out the new “Characters In Flight” tethered balloon attraction at Walt Disney World. The fun will reach new heights at Downtown Disney West Side in an iconic balloon festooned with Disney characters known for their ability of flight that takes guests on ascents of up to 400 feet above the waterfront.

Characters In Flight, operated by Aerophile, is a 72-foot-diameter balloon with a whimsical design featuring silhouettes of a dozen of Disney’s “flying characters” – such as Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, and Dumbo. The balloon can lift up to 30 guests at a time on a six-minute trip – thanks to its enclosed volume of 210,000 cubic feet of lighter-than-air gas. Ascents, by day or night will provide guests with an unparalleled, 360-degree view of up to 10 miles.

Guests board a gondola beneath the 105-foot-high balloon from a landing platform on Village Lake at the end of the main promenade at Downtown Disney West Side. Riders can catch flights seven days a week. Strong rumors say that soft openings will begin tomorrow April 10th. But no official opening date has been announced.

Hours: Sunday-Thursday are 10:30 a.m.-11 p.m. while ascents Friday-Saturday are 10:30 a.m.-midnight.
Tickets: $16 for ages 10-up and $10 for ages 3-9 - purchase on site. Availability is on first-come, first-serve basis.

I was headed to Pointe Orlando today, and as I got off of I-4@Sand Lake, you could see the balloon flying off in the distance. It was pretty cool.

Anyone go on it yet as my wife read something online about it and saw it when we went to animal kingdom over the weekend and wants to go out one weekday night and do it. Any discount for passholders :)

400 ft? Jesus.

I am funny when it comes to heights. I can go on a ride that's 400 ft. tall on a lift hill or whatever because I know it's controlled. However I'll be at an upper level at a mall and look over the edge about 20 feet up and my body goes all crazy. I can't take heights like that. I would probably be scared as hell on this.

I'd still do it.