House of Horrors Replacement | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

House of Horrors Replacement

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Our initial thoughts were for the NBCUE venue.  This really makes me question if NBCUE is becoming a grab n' go or not.  It seems to be taking too long.

In fact, more detail on the map says its a hybrid location.  It lists Hollywood Grill and Hollywood & Dine are combined.
We haven't really had word on where HK is going to be located, could they possible that they are locating Hello Kitty over there? It would make sense, but i'm not clear on if they'd go and do that. It would get people down though during the Potter times, so anythings possible.

Another gran 'n go? Really? ANOTHER ONE? WIll it at least be open for more than two hours after the park opens?
..also,

correct me if i'm wrong; but wasn't Hollywood Grill just casual dining and not Grab and Go? Because if it was a Grab and Go (which I think was the case, can be wrong) then this wouldn't really be a loss.

I understand Grab 'n Go locations help with crowds and get guests in and out really quick. But really? Two more? I also agree, it'll be nice if they're open for more than a few hours. It would just be so nice to have a good quality sit down place inside the park that isn't primarily fast food. I guess it will only help The Three Broomsticks stand out more...not that it needs it ;)

To help clear the situation, It sounds from the map that Studio Grill in the Lower Lot will guaranteed be a gab n' go.  Hollywood and Dine is going to stay mostly the same, but change the name and the image of the location.

Mel's should reopen in March.

The map does not show Starbucks moving locations yet.  Which tells me that area may not open until the next map is released for April.  This current map seems to have February and March covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three Broomsticks is not a quality sit-down table-service restaurant just FYI... you still go up to the window, get your food & take it to a table. I had breakfast there in Orlando one morning. Its still technically a quick-service restaurant. Maybe they will change that here, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Anyway... back to the NOT-HoH replacement that is slowly getting exterior scenic...

slowly getting exterior scenic...
Spot the Horror Nights fan ;)

No one posted these so here they are. courtesy of the Inside Universal Twitter account: https://twitter.com/insideuniversal
24229327499_2e97b18969_b.jpg

24229327659_ca19c9a12d_b.jpg

24571021946_cbb39791d7_b.jpg

24514927301_69885796a1_b.jpg

Oooooo a brick wall now closest to Baker St... if we go buy a wand from the Feature Presentation store, will an opening in the bricks appear to allow us access to a secretly hidden street? :p  ​... unless those walls have always been brick themed, probably have.. haha

Anyway, its interesting that they paint the facades such drastic colors only to repaint them subdued darker/whiter colors. They probably paint it such crazy color schemes initially just to get a laugh at our reactions...

Reactions: Aaron
I'm curious why they decided to paint some of the façades only to cover it up with primer? Finlays all over again!

Edit: Wesker beat me to it haha. 

Reactions: Wesker69
It really IS Finlays all over again! I think a few of us predicted it would happen, as the colors were simply too garish and unrealistic. I'm thrilled. This isn't Springfield or ToonTown; more realistic and subdued colors add so much! It's honestly really funny when you stand back and think about it. Just shows you that sometimes CGI and scale model colors mockups might not translate all that well into real life. I'm glad they're at least willing to go back and redo it!

Now...if we could only get them to do that for Transformers as well...

(I've only seen Disney do this once this way: they repainted the Buena Vista Street monorail bridge a few different colors its first year.)

The blue/pink façade reminded me of two things...

- Key West/Island area of Sea World Orlando

- An apartment exterior for an animated movie.... like PETS!

I really do like the darker color tones. It makes the façades look so much better & more realistic. Although their height scale still bothers me just a tad, but I think once completed it will look really great. Just curious to see the interior. Last time I saw a glimpse it was just drywall, that was about a month ago, so it SHOULD be further along by now.

Although their height scale still bothers me just a tad, but I think once completed it will look really great. 
In a weird way the forced perspective adds some charm to it imo. Reminds me a lot of Disneyland's Main Street, just more... Hollywood Deco inspired. My only gripe is how Universal Plaza is not centered to this new entrance pathway. 

Reactions: Allen The Actor
^ I agree on both points! I have no problem with the scale, it's definitely more charming and less intimidating than some other facades in other parks. Good use of forced perspective while not being too overwhelming.

But I do agree that it's beyond weird that the Universal Plaza tower is ever so slightly blocked by these new facades and isn't as much of a weenie/focal point as it was before.

In reference to the height, I was mostly talking about the side of the building closest to Baker Street where the building is a little taller than the facades. The rest are fine.

And I agree about the Universal Plaza tower... it seems odd to create such a great looking centerpiece, only to have it overshadowed by this new building. Unfortunately, what USH needed to do they couldn't... and that was pull a DCA and completely redo the entire entrance area/strip that leads to the plaza.

Reactions: Aaron
In reference to the height, I was mostly talking about the side of the building closest to Baker Street where the building is a little taller than the facades.
Ah okay. Classic Universal, not fully covering the showbuilding! They also painted the building a lighter shade of blue!

So can we will expect the attraction aspect to the venue to be a Walking Dead maze? Do we think that would open up with the rest of the building?