Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2016

A mixture of film/tv mazes along with original ideas would be a nice change of pace.  I enjoyed stuff like La Llorona.

This is something HHN should do. I don't understand why EVERY SINGLE MAZE has to be an IP. Change it up a bit. Take a risk and do something that's completely original. After seeing the Shadowlands at Knott's, I would love to see HHN do a totally original house just to change things up.

IF Murdy is expanding his creative team, that's great. Murdy is good creatively, he just needs some more help. I feel like having more people that have more flexibility to research and go other places would greatly benefit the event. Jon Cooke even went to Japan and got inspired to do Shadowlands from that. 

This is something HHN should do. I don't understand why EVERY SINGLE MAZE has to be an IP. Change it up a bit. Take a risk and do something that's completely original. After seeing the Shadowlands at Knott's, I would love to see HHN do a totally original house just to change things up.

IF Murdy is expanding his creative team, that's great. Murdy is good creatively, he just needs some more help. I feel like having more people that have more flexibility to research and go other places would greatly benefit the event. Jon Cooke even went to Japan and got inspired to do Shadowlands from that. 

yes! one of my favorite mazes was a original (el cucuy) 

Did anyone notice that the price of FoL has changed? It's now $209 no matter what date of the event you choose to go. Just the other day it ranged from $174-$199 depending on the date.

Welp, that sucks.  I was planning on going the last day since it was cheaper, but I wanted to wait to finalize with my group before purchasing tickets.  I have never seen them do this before.  This indecision, may end up costing me $140 now, just for a pair of tickets.  Ouch.  

To Freak:

There's are really two sides of an Original Concept that we have seen at Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood... The Good Side and the Bad Side of an Original Concept. Let's start with the Good Side.

The Good Side of An Original Concept:     There is more creative freedom instead of doing an IP this is someone Knotts is very good and HHN can be good at. With Original Concepts like "La Llorona" or "El Cucuy" they have really worked at the event. And even something recently like "Eli Roth Presents Terror Tram" a idea that saved the Terror Tram from dying in a way or "The Texas Chainsaw Massarce Blood Brothers" an idea that is harmless and breathed new life into having Leatherface at the event. This ideas are based on things like "La Llorona" or the "Boogeyman" but they take this concepts and branch them out with their own ideas that can really work and can be Fun, Scary, And Bizarre!

The Bad Side of an Original Concept:        You know what I'm talking about when I say there is bad to having an Original Concept at HHN because while you can do good with something Original and you can also do bad. We don't see Original Concepts at HHN too much as say Knotts Scary Farm or Halloween Horror Nights Orlando but when we do they are very mixed. Some ideas like "Clowns 3D" miss the point of taking a Original Concept, branching it, not being restricted as doing a Movie or TV Show, and making it good! "Clowns 3D" misses the point of Scares and being Fun. It drags out entire first half of the maze with a mirror scene and then the second half we just see them torturing them. We wouldn't we want more information and back story to help people be like "I understood that" not "They used a Original Concept to have a Extra Maze that was cheap and weak". Even something like last year's "Terror Tram Survive The Purge" the first three minutes of back story that you get is great! But as you walk in it loses it quickly! Maybe I wanted to see people doing things to other people and Audio Storytelling, Video Storytelling, or Visual Storytelling. Some Original Concepts lack in depth and being a complete package. And in being good, branching out, and trying something different or new.

But yeah that was my Opinion on the Good and Bad of an Original Concept. The Original Concepts this year "Eli Roth Presents Terror Tram" or "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Blood Brothers" are incredible! I think we will see more Original Concepts in the future (Please "Hollywood Harry" Maze in HHN 2018) and I do look forward to the future of having Original Ideas and Concepts.

To Freak:

There's are really two sides of an Original Concept that we have seen at Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood... The Good Side and the Bad Side of an Original Concept. Let's start with the Good Side.

The Good Side of An Original Concept:     There is more creative freedom instead of doing an IP this is someone Knotts is very good and HHN can be good at. With Original Concepts like "La Llorona" or "El Cucuy" they have really worked at the event. And even something recently like "Eli Roth Presents Terror Tram" a idea that saved the Terror Tram from dying in a way or "The Texas Chainsaw Massarce Blood Brothers" an idea that is harmless and breathed new life into having Leatherface at the event. This ideas are based on things like "La Llorona" or the "Boogeyman" but they take this concepts and branch them out with their own ideas that can really work and can be Fun, Scary, And Bizarre!

The Bad Side of an Original Concept:        You know what I'm talking about when I say there is bad to having an Original Concept at HHN because while you can do good with something Original and you can also do bad. We don't see Original Concepts at HHN too much as say Knotts Scary Farm or Halloween Horror Nights Orlando but when we do they are very mixed. Some ideas like "Clowns 3D" miss the point of taking a Original Concept, branching it, not being restricted as doing a Movie or TV Show, and making it good! "Clowns 3D" misses the point of Scares and being Fun. It drags out entire first half of the maze with a mirror scene and then the second half we just see them torturing them. We wouldn't we want more information and back story to help people be like "I understood that" not "They used a Original Concept to have a Extra Maze that was cheap and weak". Even something like last year's "Terror Tram Survive The Purge" the first three minutes of back story that you get is great! But as you walk in it loses it quickly! Maybe I wanted to see people doing things to other people and Audio Storytelling, Video Storytelling, or Visual Storytelling. Some Original Concepts lack in depth and being a complete package. And in being good, branching out, and trying something different or new.

But yeah that was my Opinion on the Good and Bad of an Original Concept. The Original Concepts this year "Eli Roth Presents Terror Tram" or "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Blood Brothers" are incredible! I think we will see more Original Concepts in the future (Please "Hollywood Harry" Maze in HHN 2018) and I do look forward to the future of having Original Ideas and Concepts.

I agree. La Llorona is, still to this day, in my top five favorite HHN houses ever. El Cucuy had some flaws, but I really liked it. Murdy originally had Vampyre planned for the Shrek venue before NLC came in and bumped it to Shrek. I would have liked to have seen that. 

Look, I understand HHN is primarily an IP-driven event. People want to see their favorite horror films and shows come to life. Frankly, I do too. But what I feel that the event is forgetting is that it needs diversity. Not saying this line up looks bad at all. It looks great and I can't wait to finally check it out later this week! But Murdy has always stressed variety and I think having an original concept or two would help. Do something more than Clowns. Do vampires. Do a medival theme (A theme of which I'm surprised has been hardly touched by other haunts recently), aliens, Steampunk, Stoic, Greek mythology, Poe; there's so many themes they can turn into an original concept. Even if another haunt has done it, put your own spin on it. A clown theme has been done to death, so why not take another concept and put your spin on it?

Although I see where you're going with TCM, I wouldn't that consider that "original" since it is based on an existing IP. 

Wasn't the wolfman supposed to be in Shrek that year, I know it was considered the year before that also, but I thought I heard it was supposed to come in 2010 also. Correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't even go that year. Also I think you mean they bumped Vampyre into HOH not Shrek. 

So to be a little controversial, while I would like to see Murdy do more originals, I'm not so sure about it. I only liked 2 of the 4 originals I've seen Murdy do. And ironically enough they were both 3D houses(Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath). I never saw the original Alice Cooper or either versions of La Llarona, even though I went both years, I know, I'm terrible. So maybe that would give me more hope, but the more recent originals don't give me a lot of reason to be excited for him to do more. I thought El Cucuy was the second worst house I've ever been through. And Clowns 3D was pretty bad. Idk, I guess I just really want an original after 2 years of not having one, I can only hope that it's not in 3D

Wasn't the wolfman supposed to be in Shrek that year, I know it was considered the year before that also, but I thought I heard it was supposed to come in 2010 also. Correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't even go that year. Also I think you mean they bumped Vampyre into HOH not Shrek. 

So to be a little controversial, while I would like to see Murdy do more originals, I'm not so sure about it. I only liked 2 of the 4 originals I've seen Murdy do. And ironically enough they were both 3D houses(Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath). I never saw the original Alice Cooper or either versions of La Llarona, even though I went both years, I know, I'm terrible. So maybe that would give me more hope, but the more recent originals don't give me a lot of reason to be excited for him to do more. I thought El Cucuy was the second worst house I've ever been through. And Clowns 3D was pretty bad. Idk, I guess I just really want an original after 2 years of not having one, I can only hope that it's not in 3D

Oh wow I meant bumped from Shrek to House of Horrors. Ugh. 

Sorry for the double post, but reading this made me remember the special treats they served for Orlando's HHN: http://blog.universalorlando.com/extras/food-and-drinks-at-hhn26/?__source=sm.awr.ag.fj.&linkId=29246435

I wish Hollywood would do the same thing, minus the booze. They have a stands made for funnel cake sundaes, meatball subs, parmesan chicken sandwiches, Philly cheesesteaks, Cinnamon Pretzels. I think they should the same thing on the backlot or by Universal plaza next year. They'd make a killing!  

^ There is nothing really wrong with the park it's self but it's more the mindsets of the Creators sometimes. Original Mazes can be great! Universal focuses more on Properties and Knotts focuses more on Originals. Universal have in terms done some pretty good originals (El Cucuy and La Llorona). But I think what people in terms need to realize is that Universal is a movie making company that makes millions and millions of dollars every single year so yes they will have the money to do some crazy maze. Knotts is just a normal Popular Theme park. Knotts has some really great mazes that have stood up to Universal like The Doll Factory, Voodoo, Paranormal Inc, and Shadowlands but a good chunk of them are not really worthwhile. I have been going to Knotts a lot longer than Universal so I lose Credit there but Universal does much bigger mazes in comparison to Knotts. (Re-Edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumors are going around the scare actors signed contracts stating their availability through the second weekend of November.  Anyone else heard anything about a *surprise * announcement of another weekend extension beyond Nov 4 and 5?

Rumors are going around the scare actors signed contracts stating their availability through the second weekend of November.  Anyone else heard anything about a *surprise * announcement of another weekend extension beyond Nov 4 and 5?

Ticket's have been available for Nov 4 and 5 since they went on sale. It's not a rumor at all.