Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Studio Vaults - "SpectraBlast" Hollywood Nights 1994

SpectraBlast was a spectacular laser, pyrotechnic and aquatic show which was the cornerstone of the Hollywood Nights celebration of Universal Studios Hollywood's 30th Anniversary in 1994.

Last edited:
^Yes. Exactly Allen. I was really hoping they would do it (....in 2014.. you know, that ACTUAL 50th..). I wish there was a full show video of this because it really was impressive. With todays technology for nighttime entertainment, an updated version of this would be pretty epic.

Oh man, I remember my parents had a recording of this show on VHS. It's probably still there somewhere.

Here is the only footage in existence on youtube that I know of...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hb23HcZBXTQ?feature=oembed
I was so disappointed when Orlando's "Universal Cinematic Spectacular" lagoon show (created for Universal's 100th anniversary) ended up being a "World of Color" knock-off with fireworks. I was really hoping they'd do something along the lines of Fantasmic and/or SpectraBlast using their plethora of Universal characters to create a fun story driven lagoon show. -sigh-

Here is the only footage in existence on youtube that I know of...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hb23HcZBXTQ?feature=oembed
You are welcome...That is my footage from August 1994.  I so wish I recorded the entire show :(

I have to admit that the camera I used did not record well for low light situations.  The lasers looked much more spectacular to the eye and the colors in the video are way off.  But I am glad I have what I have :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh it looked incredible....again, whyyy can't we get an updated version of this combined with the Cinematic Spectacular in the WaterWorld arena now?! This would elevate USH to another level!

I think it'd be really cool if they managed to run Waterworld during the day and then run a new night time show starting around 7pm for those long summer days. It'd entice people to stick around for it.

I think it'd be really cool if they managed to run Waterworld during the day and then run a new night time show starting around 7pm for those long summer days. It'd entice people to stick around for it.
That is exactly what Spectrablast did.  However, in order to have a proper turn around from Miami Vice to Spectrblast, the final Miami Vice show was at 3pm and the Spectrablast show was 8pm.  5 hours lost!

Plus only 2 or 3 shows per night.  The park would close at 11pm.

That is exactly what Spectrablast did.  However, in order to have a proper turn around from Miami Vice to Spectrblast, the final Miami Vice show was at 3pm and the Spectrablast show was 8pm.  5 hours lost!

Plus only 2 or 3 shows per night.  The park would close at 11pm.
Yeah, it'd be a crunch. It probably wouldn't take that long of a turnaround today, but i'm just speculating. 

11pm is basically what we're looking at this summer with Potter too. It'd be possible to start at 7 and run one every hour on the hour, have the show last 20 minutes and allow 40 minutes to unload/load the next crowd and stage prep. I'm sure there's much more to this but it's just some fun blue sky thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Universal could do a nighttime spectacular if they wanted. They just choose not to.

Whatever the reason remains a mystery, but technology has never been a limiting factor.

For one thing the people who live around the property wouldn't allow it. That's Universal's main issue. Residence over rule most of what Universal (lot) does, especially for night events. If you move close to the studio, you would think this would be understood but it's not. These are million dollar homes unlike Anaheim.

WW can't run after 10PM because of the locals. If the same were true (and there is no reason to assume otherwise) a big night time show could only play twice during summer. Maybe three times.

I'd love to see a show like SpectraBlast. It would be expensive to set up and strike every night for just 2 shows and we all know Universal isn't going to spend money that way. It's a shame.

Summer shows before 10:00 PM seem reasonable.

Again, it all boils down to whether or not Universal wants to put in the effort. They don't even have a nighttime show at Islands of Adventure, so that shows where their priorities - as a company - lie.

Fantasmic did the impossible by fitting a nighttime spectacular in one of their most congested lands in an already established setup.

Well SpectraBlast and WaterWorld weren't an issue for neighbors, why would a new show be? And only having a few showings of a new nighttime show wouldn't be a stretch. There's only two performances of Fantasmic and World of Color. They would just have to increase seating capacity somehow in the WaterWorld arena.

I agree with Jon, I just don't think Universal sees nighttime shows as a priority. They could figure something out for USH if they really wanted to.

Well SpectraBlast and WaterWorld weren't an issue for neighbors, why would a new show be?
The Expansion Plan. As Universal sought approval of the expansion the neighbors resisted. The neighboring City Councils and neighborhood groups began demanding noise reduction that had always been an issue. Previously MCA didn't care as much - Matsushita, Seagram and Vivendi didn't care. Under new ownership and with new plans Universal needed approval. Noise from the park has always been an issue for USH's neighbors.

The noise complaints issue has always been ridiculous to me. Considering the active studio & theme park existed long before the surrounding neighborhood, they shouldn't have to cater to these demands as much as they do. If you choose to live next to a working movie studio/backlot and/or a theme park... you would think that accepting the "noise" would come with it.

I think that any nighttime show with loud music, soundeffects and pyro should be able to go up until midnight. I can't remember if it was 10pm or 11pm, but that was when IOA would have to close The Hulk & Dragons for "noise" at night, even if the park was open later. So any nighttime show at USH should be able to happen at 11pm at the latest depending on park close.

As for IOA not having a nighttime lagoon show, there has been rumors for a long time that one was in the works. We'll see if that ever happens though.

Standard noise regulations are for 10:00pm in the Los Angeles region.  Also, starting night shows at 7pm would be tough during the summer because it doesn't get dark until after 8:30pm.  Yikes!

I think a night show for winter season is more promising, but the limited peak season is not worth it.