The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed) | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I kinda wished I hadn't seen the burning cabin because that would of blown my mind if I didn't know what it looked like.

so you think there's any possibility for softs on Thursday, that's when I'm going

That sure sounded a lot like Larry Kurzweil ;) . My best guess is Friday will be soft opening as it was for media (missing some effects), Saturday it'll be in full operation.

I believe the voice at the :50 mark is senior vice president of entertainment Tim Runco.

Does anyone else think this walkthrough is too short? It's certainly a visually appealing and immersive attraction, but one of my gripes is that I feel it doesn't completely deliver in terms of length. I realize it's sort of a "best of" attraction that highlights certain scenes throughout the series, but I'm especially surprised at just how condensed everything is.

Being a fan of the show, I'm also a little confused as to how they laid the locations/scenes out throughout the maze. We spend so much time at the beginning of the walkthrough in Season 1 as we navigate through the hospital and past the Bicycle Girl, then we see the burning cabin from Season 4, beside that is the prison from Season 3, and after that we walk past food trucks featured in Season 5. Wouldn't it have made more sense to walk through these scenes in chronological order as they appeared throughout the show, and to include more iconic scenes from Hershel's Farm, Terminus, and Alexandria?

I don't mean to sound exceedingly negative, especially since there are strengths amongst these flaws, but I just feel that this attraction was a letdown in some regards considering how long it took to bring it together.

Does anyone else think this walkthrough is too short? It's certainly a visually appealing and immersive attraction, but one of my gripes is that I feel it doesn't completely deliver in terms of length. I realize it's sort of a "best of" attraction that highlights certain scenes throughout the series, but I'm especially surprised at just how condensed everything is.

Being a fan of the show, I'm also a little confused as to how they laid the locations/scenes out throughout the maze. We spend so much time at the beginning of the walkthrough in Season 1 as we navigate through the hospital and past the Bicycle Girl, then we see the burning cabin from Season 4, beside that is the prison from Season 3, and after that we walk past food trucks featured in Season 5. Wouldn't it have made more sense to walk through these scenes in chronological order as they appeared throughout the show, and to include more iconic scenes from Hershel's Farm, Terminus, and Alexandria?

I don't mean to sound exceedingly negative, especially since there are strengths amongst these flaws, but I just feel that this attraction was a letdown in some regards considering how long it took to bring it together.

I've watched the videos a few times now and I feel exactly the same! It really feels like 3 big rooms. You have to think the hospital, burning cabin, and prison are fairly permanent in terms of being able to swap out for different scenes. So that really doesn't leave much to be switched up in any significant ways. I actually find the 2015 TWD maze to have superior scenes to this. Especially the year (2014?) where the finale room was the big scene with concrete piles that the walkers were inside of. (Can't really recall the exact situation). 

I like the immersive, almost theatrical, nature of this attraction, but I personally don't like the silhouette videos being used. I think that prison room would play out much better having an actual group of walkers approaching the survivor as he's trying to fight them off. Not just him shooting at projections. I'm also surprised to see that the "walker hoard" effect was not used in this attraction. 

Reactions: William
It's about 5 minutes in the the walkthrough video posted above. That's not too bad for a theme park attraction. But it does look very much like a temporary HHN maze to me. It's using the same sort of of light and sound effects to get your attention before a scareactor jumps out at you. And it's using the same heavy vinyl curtains to separate scenes. The rooms are larger than an HHN maze, which is nice, and some of the effects, like the fire, are much nicer than an HHN maze. But all the animatronics look like crap to me. They could pull off much more natural motion with puppets, like HHN, but that's expensive for a year-round attraction, so I understand why they went with animatronics. It just looks like they went with particularly cheap animatronics.

I think that prison room would play out much better having an actual group of walkers approaching the survivor as he's trying to fight them off. Not just him shooting at projections. I'm also surprised to see that the "walker hoard" effect was not used in this attraction. 

It would! But because this is a permanent attraction, they want to keep the cast small. Actors cost money. The silhouettes are a weird choice, though.

I also thought it seemed a bit short length wise, but I think that was partly due to the ending. You go through a few big and spacious scenes and queue and end in a very confined smaller scene that just didn't seem as extravagant as the ones before. Tyler did mention he thought the static walkers behind the fences were supposed to be moving and coming at you and if that's the case, then maybe the final scene will be much more of a dramatic ending. but if not, ehh it seemed to end on a low note and like something you would find in an HHN maze.

I have to say that the first time going through, I didn't really pay that much attention to the order and it didn't really bother me, and i'm not sure most average guests would take notice to it, but looking back now, it would make more sense.  

I like the immersive, almost theatrical, nature of this attraction, but I personally don't like the silhouette videos being used. I think that prison room would play out much better having an actual group of walkers approaching the survivor as he's trying to fight them off. Not just him shooting at projections. I'm also surprised to see that the "walker hoard" effect was not used in this attraction. 

I think the silhouettes look fine for what they are considering there is at least one live walker and survivor in the scene. I did notice though that if you time it wrong, the projections turn on kind of abrupt. I was in the middle of the prison when the projections turned on and out of nowhere there was a brightly lit walker attack where it was just dark moments before and that easily caught my attention.

Overall I love the attraction and there are definitely some things that look better in person than in most of the videos i've seen, so I wouldn't fully judge it until you see it in person.

The first technical rehearsals should be starting literally any moment right now. Smoke effects on the copter have been activated, the tech rehearsal sign is out and the warning screens are on.

I saw a report that FJ had a 150-min wait earlier, so the park must be hopping. Very curious to see what the wait time for TWDA gets to today.

Reactions: Dylan Beck
^ Most likely before park opening at the very latest. I don't think there are any major plans to do a celebration, but who knows.

Reactions: Sydney
Anyone go to the soft opening today?  Did it remain open all day?  Any major differences from the media day?  And any thoughts if it'll be open tomorrow for softs?  Lotsa questions, I know.  :D

I was there as well. I was expecting a little bit more. Was definitely too short. I feel like it could be remedied a bit in the future though. The food truck room could maybe wrap around to make the maze a bit longer. I hate to say I'm actually a bit disappointed. I upgraded to Gold for the soft opening lol. Any who, HHN could be pretty cool. I saw a lot of potential walker spots. I will say the set design is very good though. Lots of detail. Bicycle girl was cool, and the use of humans was a cool twist too.

Last edited by a moderator: