The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed) | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Finally got to see the Walking Dead today. First I'll get into what I liked. 

The queue line was REALLY well done. I loved how there was so much detail put into every nook and cranny of the place. It's definately the nicest queue in the park outside of FJ. It's just strange to think that it's for a horror experience that's not a ride. Also the queue reminded me of Florida's T2:3D indoor queue a lot, for some reason. I think that just adds more fuel to the rumors of TWD replacing T2. Just touch up/retheme the queue, and gut the pre show and theater to add the maze. 

The sets and SFX were very well done. The burning cabin looked REALLY cool and I loved how the prison set looked. The aninatronic bicycle girl was the most impressive part of the maze. Too bad you have to rush past her. 

The only real complaint I had about this was what everyone else is saying. It's a little short. It's about the same lemgth wise as a typical HHN house, but compared to HoH, it was short. 

I noticed that this was light on scares, which didn't bother me too much. I knew this as a daytime experience so I knew it couldn't be too intense. 

So yeah, I really enjoy it. It doesn't deserve all the hate this seems to be getting on here. I loved it for what it is, and it's a great horror attraction for daytime guests. I'm actually surprised they got away with so much gore in there to be honest. 

Talking to several employees it is true that "regular" guests are being scared - sometimes REALLY scared. So scared there have been complaints at GR. We (lovers of HHN) are not the target audience in this attraction. I then to lean towards Jon's assessment that it's out of place in the USH "brand". It's not HHN good and it's too intense for many guests and not family friendly so it kind of fails on many levels even thought it's a damn good attraction. In my opinion the previous House fit in better.

Reactions: Jonathan
Ok I am not an HHN regular... I was not even a little scared. I was slightly scared at the beginning of the line. If there are people who are so scared that they complain it was their own stupid fault for going in. If the name of the attraction or the line didn't scare you out then you have no reason to complain. You had enough warning.

Talking to several employees it is true that "regular" guests are being scared - sometimes REALLY scared. So scared there have been complaints at GR. We (lovers of HHN) are not the target audience in this attraction. I then to lean towards Jon's assessment that it's out of place in the USH "brand". It's not HHN good and it's too intense for many guests and not family friendly so it kind of fails on many levels even thought it's a damn good attraction. In my opinion the previous House fit in better.

What levels is it failing on? Aside from being too short...

We have several people including the post above me saying it wasn't scary, and then we have posts that people are too scared. Like Lori says, It's a walk through attraction titled THE WALKING DEAD. If the body bags and blood before you enter the building don't hint at guests to turn away if they suspect they will be scared, then that's their own damn fault. I'm not surprised at all about certain guests complaining to GR. What don't they complain about? Guests complain about getting wet on Jurassic Park. 

If the guests who choose to go through come out with a smile and having enjoyed it, then that's what matters. A brand such as Universal, who arguable invented the horror movie genre, has a right to have a haunted attraction in it's theme park, whether the commentators agree with it or not. Time will tell how successful this attraction is or isn't, not early mumblings from employees about people being scared (what the attraction is designed to do). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking to several employees it is true that "regular" guests are being scared - sometimes REALLY scared. So scared there have been complaints at GR.

I've mentioned this before, but I think that when parents willingly took children into an attraction called the ExtraTERRORiestrial Alien Encounter and then complained that set the benchmark of how oblivious the average theme park visitor can get. That said, I think that any complaint at GR should be thrown out the window. The attraction is scary enough by the time you start, there should be absolutely no concievable reason for a person to go through the entire attraction and throw a fit outside of blatantly fishing for free stuff.

House of Horrors stayed for seven years, I think this can withstand that. Does that mean it fits? ....um, no. I don't think it should be there but it is. It is what it is.

A brand such as Universal, who arguable invented the horror movie genre, has a right to have a haunted attraction in it's theme park, whether the commentators agree with it or not.

Of course Universal has the right to create The Walking Dead. They have the right to do whatever they wish - that's not the point.

For a park that has tripled the cost of some of their annual passes, oddball decisions like this don't pass the smell test anymore. Point blank, it's Universal reverting back to their negative tendencies.

Ok I am not an HHN regular... I was not even a little scared. I was slightly scared at the beginning of the line. If there are people who are so scared that they complain it was their own stupid fault for going in. If the name of the attraction or the line didn't scare you out then you have no reason to complain. You had enough warning.

Yes, guests should read the signs, but perhaps it's also because no other large-scale theme park in the United States has an attraction like this?

For a park that has modified Creature from the Black Lagoon, canceled Bill and Ted, took out Chucky and took out their Purge barker after guest complaints, they sure have an odd way of learning from their past mistakes. Just food for thought...

The attraction is scary enough by the time you start, there should be absolutely no concievable reason for a person to go through the entire attraction and throw a fit outside of blatantly fishing for free stuff.

House of Horrors stayed for seven years, I think this can withstand that. Does that mean it fits? ....um, no. I don't think it should be there but it is. It is what it is.

Just another note - the queue exit door leads directly outside the park. I hope guests know (or can explain) that they need a hand stamp to get back in.

Reactions: Rideguy70 and Ryan
I didn't know the queue exit door leads outside the park.  If so, that's a very unusual choice, and that should warrant park complaints.

As for single rider that others have mentioned earlier, they didn't let me do it today.  Line was stated as 35 minutes, but they CM at the front said it would move fast, but no single riders.  Has anyone else done single rider on it?  Personally, it doesn't make much sense to me that they'd have one for this, but others said they were doing it.  Did policy change?

When did they break free of negative tendencies? 

I'd argue they were on a good path beginning with Universal Plaza onwards.

I didn't know the queue exit door leads outside the park.  If so, that's a very unusual choice, and that should warrant park complaints.

As for single rider that others have mentioned earlier, they didn't let me do it today.  Line was stated as 35 minutes, but they CM at the front said it would move fast, but no single riders.  Has anyone else done single rider on it?  Personally, it doesn't make much sense to me that they'd have one for this, but others said they were doing it.  Did policy change?

I'm assuming it's only offering during especially busy days? Just a guess.

For HHN, couldn't they put the queue out in the plaza (like they usually do for the Parisian courtyard maze) and use the indoor queue of Walking Dead as more maze space?

What levels is it failing on? Aside from being too short...

It isn't scary enough for those who love HHN and scary houses yet it's too scary for some of the typical USH guests. It doesn't meet the expectations of the regulars. It's not "standard" theme park fare. So it fails on those levels.

I am making no judgement on people who complain. I am doing no more than making the point that the typical theme park goer isn't accustomed to this type of attraction. Perhaps they are wrong in complaining and they should know better - I don't know. Placing blame wasn't my point. I'm sorry my point was missed. I am not as clear a writer as I hope to be.

Since you quoted me perhaps your comment about Universal having the "right" to have a haunted attraction was directed at my post. I'm sorry I gave you the impression I was suggesting they don't have the right to to have a haunted attraction. I strongly believe they have that right. I liked the attraction. I'm thrilled Universal took the chance. I think they made a great attempt to make the attraction scary buy not too scary. I am not suggesting in any way that because a few guest complain that it is a failure. Again I apologize for not being as clear as I wanted to be.

Weird. I just went on Monday and they let me through without any problem. Normally when I go I'll just ask if I can go through the Gate A entrance because I'm not with a group and they don't ask any further questions, but I guess it appears to be different based on the day. First time I did it was actually because an employee told me I could, not from me asking them.

I'd argue they were on a good path beginning with Universal Plaza onwards

Plaza and Universal Blvd are fine (if not just a tad inspired by Buena Vista St. and Carthay Circle) is fine but everything else is either clones or lackluster Hollywood exclusives. When we start seeing more Hollywood exclusive originality I'll start to agree they have their heads on straight. 

It isn't scary enough for those who love HHN and scary houses yet it's too scary for some of the typical USH guests. It doesn't meet the expectations of the regulars. It's not "standard" theme park fare. So it fails on those levels.

I am making no judgement on people who complain. I am doing no more than making the point that the typical theme park goer isn't accustomed to this type of attraction. Perhaps they are wrong in complaining and they should know better - I don't know. Placing blame wasn't my point. I'm sorry my point was missed. I am not as clear a writer as I hope to be.

Since you quoted me perhaps your comment about Universal having the "right" to have a haunted attraction was directed at my post. I'm sorry I gave you the impression I was suggesting they don't have the right to to have a haunted attraction. I strongly believe they have that right. I liked the attraction. I'm thrilled Universal took the chance. I think they made a great attempt to make the attraction scary buy not too scary. I am not suggesting in any way that because a few guest complain that it is a failure. Again I apologize for not being as clear as I wanted to be.

I was mainly pointing the failing on many levels comment towards your post. Then I went off on a rant tangent about the negative vibe on the forums regarding a year-round haunt, so I apologize for that. No it isn't traditional, but USH historically hasn't been a very traditional theme park, which is why I like the place. I'm in support of a year-round haunt, and I currently have the privilege of a year-round haunt, so I have no more need or desire to defend it. 

I personally believe the attraction should fall somewhere between not scary enough for HHN guests, but scary for average guests. The attention of detail should be appreciated by HHN guests. I would say it's biggest shortcoming is how short the maze is. Overall, I'd say its too soon to use the word "fail."

Yeah, more often than not, I tend to see quite a few children in line.  It seems split down the middle... some are totally fine with it.  Others are crying and being dragged by their family (great parenting there).  And the rest stand in the entire line, take 5 steps in, get scared by the first walker, and turn right back around.

To me, though, it seems like of the average park guest that makes it through really seems to be enjoying it.

(First post :) )

I've been going to HHN for atleast 5 years, and obviously this maze wasn't made for the people who go to HHN every year looking forward to being scared to death. I just went today and I was honestly okay with it. The interior of the maze is fantastic, and the maze itself looks like it could cater to the people who are looking to have time to burn. I wasn't scared, but amazed by the few scenes there are (the burning house!) Normal people shouldn't  complain about it being too scary, its The Walking Dead! If something in that name doesn't sound like it could be fun to you, then you shouldn't ride it. A middle aged man isn't going to ride DM:MM (unless they are trying to get info for updates) and spend an hour in the SSFL. It does kind of seem weird, however, when they made a bunch of family-oriented rides and suddenly come out with an attraction like this. It may create unbalance in a very small park.