Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017

I actually like the line up for the most part. A bit disappointed AHS will only be Roanoke since Asylum and Coven had cooler looking antagonists but oh well. Maybe one of those seasons can be implemented in one of the scarezones (Parisian would fit pretty well for Coven). Evil Dead, The Conjuring, and The Shining are all very exciting. Insidious I'm sick of tbh and could do without, but I'm sure it'll be a decent maze as usual. Saw i welcome back since its been a while. Im also actually really interested in the Blumhouse mash up and it might be my 2nd most anticipated just because I'm curious as to what movies will be used (Also its a pretty good way to capitalize off of Get Out and Split's success lol)

As a reminder to team members or anyone connected with the company: to reiterate the forum rules once again:

Universal team members, please be mindful that participating on these forums may not be permitted by your department

• Do not register if you feel that your employer may find your content or posts objectionable; use heavy discretion
  • Please also be aware that Universal management (in all departments) does read these forums actively

Upon registration, it is up to you to ensure that your information is suitable for public consumption. Use discretion before you post, and be advised that it is not the job of the moderating staff to retract your statements once they're made. Not only does this disrupt discussion threads, it also calls upon our staff to harness that responsibility that you ultimately possess to ensure that your content is suitable for public eyes.

Our staff will not retract any further statements made in haste, so exercise your best judgement for future posts.

And to make things clear, this is just about the, if not exact, same lineup I've been hearing rumors about lately. While they may not all be true, and I do suspect most of them to come into fruition, these rumors could be a red herring for the given time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot Split was Blumhouse! Would love to encounter THE BEAST/THE HORDE!!!

If I were to guess, included would be: Get Out, Split (their two biggest hits), Paranormal Activity (got them on the map), Ouija 1 or 2 (distributed by Uni), Sinister (been requested a lot), and obviously the Purge. Not sure about The Visit, The Gift or Unfriended. Doubt we'll see Lazarus Effect, the Gallows or Dark Skies.

I forgot Split was Blumhouse! Would love to encounter THE BEAST/THE HORDE!!!

If I were to guess, included would be: Get Out, Split (their two biggest hits), Paranormal Activity (got them on the map), Ouija 1 or 2 (distributed by Uni), Sinister (been requested a lot), and obviously the Purge. Not sure about The Visit, The Gift or Unfriended. Doubt we'll see Lazarus Effect, the Gallows or Dark Skies.

Also willing to bet money it'll be called Blumhouse of Horrors 

Ya know, it just occurred to me why we may be getting so many returning themes this year. 

Being that we should be getting right mazes, plus the Terror Tram, the event has outgrown Murdy and Chris; they're great for what they do. Not saying that they're bad creative directors at all, but they need more people on the force. The only way the event will grow under them is to revisit previously-done properties from a while back they're already familiar with. It's apparently a bit much with just those two.

Although last year has shown they can definitely step it up, unless they get more people in board, I fear that the mazes will feel more of the same. I think it's time for more creative directors. 

Not for this year, but next year maybe? With the Blumhouse maze this year, it sounds like Universal's relationship with them is good enough. (Not that I want to see this Hot Topic explosion become a maze but.)

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3429986/tease-creator-hints-blumhouse-making-five-nights-freddys-movie/

Although I'm interested, video game movies NEVER have done well. Also Fright Dome has already done one. 

Isn't that the same FNAF film Warner Bros is making?

AFAIK,'Scott Cawthon; the Series creator, has posted a Twitter image that is implying that Blumhouse will be the production company of FNAF's Feature Film, but it's unclear if Warner Bros. is still distributing the film publicly.

The Film itself, went back to square one after creative differences, as Cawthon is now fully on-board with the project, so it could be possible that Warner Bros is not distributing the film, or they are; but there had to be a new production company.

Although that's not really relating to Horror Nights, now is it?

We're long overdue for someone new to be at the helm... 

Ya know, it just occurred to me why we may be getting so many returning themes this year. 

Being that we should be getting right mazes, plus the Terror Tram, the event has outgrown Murdy and Chris; they're great for what they do. Not saying that they're bad creative directors at all, but they need more people on the force. The only way the event will grow under them is to revisit previously-done properties from a while back they're already familiar with. It's apparently a bit much with just those two.

Although last year has shown they can definitely step it up, unless they get more people in board, I fear that the mazes will feel more of the same. I think it's time for more creative directors. 

Perhaps it is just me, but I am somewhat expecting this to be the last year for John and Chris. Not because of the IP's all being mostly Fan-requested (like last year), but that I would think with Karen taking her mantle in November, and that it seemed like HHN2017 development began albeit before that; it could make sense to find new talent as John and Chris give one more year for the fans before there has to be major corporate changes to make the event more in-line with Orlando and maybe even Osaka and Singapore; to an extent.

That is only, my two cents on that though.

Since the 2015 thread was locked, here's a place to discuss the 2017 edition of Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood.

The biggest news is the possible "leak" of the full 2017 line-up from an unknown insider on Inside Universal named HHNManic, later confirmed by more reputable sources. Take the line-up with a huge grain of salt.

Without wanting to get in trouble I won't repost it. But, if you've seen it, what do you think about the possible line-up?

Last edited:
Perhaps it is just me, but I am somewhat expecting this to be the last year for John and Chris. Not because of the IP's all being mostly Fan-requested (like last year), but that I would think with Karen taking her mantle in November, and that it seemed like HHN2017 development began albeit before that; it could make sense to find new talent as John and Chris give one more year for the fans before there has to be major corporate changes to make the event more in-line with Orlando and maybe even Osaka and Singapore; to an extent.

That is only, my two cents on that though.

Kurtzweil was really holding the event back with budgetary restrictions. I feel Murdy is holding the event back creatively by trying his hardest to not be like Orlando. Give us an original house or two. Give us an icon. Do some of the cool effects Orlando does. 

Yep and a bigger budget please.

The only way that's going to happen is if they sell booze. 

Kurtzweil was really holding the event back with budgetary restrictions. I feel Murdy is holding the event back creatively by trying his hardest to not be like Orlando. Give us an original house or two. Give us an icon. Do some of the cool effects Orlando does. 

Yes, a few original mazes and yes an Icon would be much appreciated as would a main theme and a storyline.. Stop thinking that just a random hodgepodge of IPs is the way to go.. It doesn't even need to be an elaborate backstory, even a simple but explainable backstory like Jack in 2007 with the New Line characters would be appreciated..

Although I'm interested, video game movies NEVER have done well. Also Fright Dome has already done one. 

Trust me when I say I'd rather chug whatever puke scent they use every year in the mazes than see a Five Nights at Freddy's maze. So I seriously hope you're right. lmao Just was funny to me that we've all been talking about the Blumhouse maze and then Bloody Disgusting posts that.

You know what would be an interesting idea? As guests exit the Blum-House they find themselves in a Blumhouse themed scare zone in French Street. That way it makes you feel you haven't escaped the new school horror. 

You know what would be an interesting idea? As guests exit the Blum-House they find themselves in a Blumhouse themed scare zone in French Street. That way it makes you feel you haven't escaped the new school horror. 

If we are going off of Halloween rules from 2015, I wouldn't be surprised to see the building that housed the auditions for FFL used once more, as that dumps people right out to the end close to Despicable Me.