The Future of E.T. Adventure | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of E.T. Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I guess it all depends on timing. 2020 is 3 years away (The usual length of time from groundbreaking to opening for a theme park). It just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to sacrifice an existing attraction to shove a new headliner IP into a park that's already doing pretty well. One it takes something off the table that could be a big draw to the new park and additionally offers relatively new competition to said new park. There were pretty strong rumors of this several years ago (Kidzone was supposedly closing in 2014), to me it almost seems like they put it on hold to see if they could purchase the new land. Now if the plans for a new park have been scrapped or delayed then yes I could definitely see Nintendo going in USF. They could have easily closed Kidzone and E.T. months ago and gotten started instead they're doing refurb work on it. I suppose everyone is entitled to draw they're own conclusions, I'm just not seeing it from a logical standpoint.

ET has been the oldest. But, it may be in a similar dilema to Revenge of The Mummy, where time is of the essence, not because of popularity; but because of the technology of the ride system in-place, and GSAT's.

They could very easily be pursuing the same strategy as the Wizarding World. Universal Studios has The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley and Islands of Adventure has The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade. Universal Studios will have Super Nintendo World - Mushroom Kingdom, and Site B might have Super Nintendo World - Hyrule.

That's the way I think/bet is happening. Super Nintendo World's first phase, is of The Mushroom Universe, consisting of Mario; Donkey Kong and Yoshi, as they are all connected to the same universe.

Then, you can easily have it be said of Super Nintendo World at Site B being of the Hyrulian Universe. What they would use, in timeline's; depends.

They could very easily be pursuing the same strategy as the Wizarding World. Universal Studios has The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley and Islands of Adventure has The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade. Universal Studios will have Super Nintendo World - Mushroom Kingdom, and Site B might have Super Nintendo World - Hyrule.
As much as I would really love it I don't think they'll make a huge immersive Zelda land.

Reactions: Brer Oswald
As much as I would really love it I don't think they'll make a huge immersive Zelda land.

Zelda is kicking it in full swing, with BoTW being a critical and financial success, as well as driving in Units for the Switch. There is also a lot that you can pull, and that there are many different stories and time-setting's to choose. It just depends on a few factors.

I am still on the side that ET will close down, and that @Splatter makes a good point to that Amity/Jaws was getting refurbishment's months before the ride/area closed down.

Reactions: Brer Oswald
Zelda is kicking it in full swing, with BoTW being a critical and financial success, as well as driving in Units for the Switch. There is also a lot that you can pull, and that there are many different stories and time-setting's to choose. It just depends on a few factors.
I'm a huge Zelda fan! I would love it, but video game sales don't really reflect it's overall acceptance into pop culture. They haven't seemed to be able to get that rumored TV series off the ground yet. I admit the franchise is probably gaining some ground though. Personally I would think they would want to take more of a wait and see approach with Zelda. In that case putting Mario in the new park and waiting to potentially put Zelda in Kidzone/E.T. would make more sense.

I just don't understand why Nintendo can't go into a separate park. Then you can put in sonic, halo, and classic games, like pinball. How fun would it be to ride inside a pinball machine?, a launched spinning Coaster complete with on or two inversions?! That would be awesome! Universal should take advantage of the wet n wild land and the 500+ acres they just acquired. Honestly speaking, a new park should be placed where more traffic would flow, so a good pick for park real estate would be the former wet n wild :)

Well the Wet'n Wild plot is about the size of Hogsmede and Diagon and is split by Universal Blvd. Wouldn't make much of a park.

Speaking of fog machines, why does universal use water vapor or pressurized air that you constantly have to leave on, rather than fog that doesn't disappear after 2 seconds.
Main reason is that when water vapor dissipates, it's gone. Longer lasting fogs are usually petroleum based, and over long periods of time, can build up a film on everything around them.

Reactions: Thrillme
Main reason is that when water vapor dissipates, it's gone. Longer lasting fogs are usually petroleum based, and over long periods of time, can build up a film on everything around them.
Including people. I know a person that wears long pants to HHN to keep the fog off. Trades that for the heat. I couldn't do it but I do like to shower it off asap

Reactions: mtpelepele
I'm a huge Zelda fan! I would love it, but video game sales don't really reflect it's overall acceptance into pop culture. They haven't seemed to be able to get that rumored TV series off the ground yet. I admit the franchise is probably gaining some ground though. Personally I would think they would want to take more of a wait and see approach with Zelda. In that case putting Mario in the new park and waiting to potentially put Zelda in Kidzone/E.T. would make more sense.
Universal is pushing the envelope with adding a very bright, animated, and wacky world like super Mario Land. I'm pretty sure that Mario Land is the stopping point for video game attarctions. Video games/ anime is much more of a USJ type of attarction. The only reason UO is accepting is because of the mass worldwide popularity of the Mario franchise. Zelda is a much less known video game and scenery like Zelda could easily be added to a place like LC while seamlessly leaving out the weird characters. If Universal liked video game attractions as much as you think, they wouldn't have put Super Mario world in such an enclosed area where it couldn't be expanded. You should never compare potter to Nintendo. Potter is a much nicer and more subtle concept which guarantees money, unlike what goes beneath a video game like Mario.

Reactions: s8film40
Universal is pushing the envelope with adding a very bright, animated, and wacky world like super Mario Land. I'm pretty sure that Mario Land is the stopping point for video game attarctions. Video games/ anime is much more of a USJ type of attarction. The only reason UO is accepting is because of the mass worldwide popularity of the Mario franchise. Zelda is a much less known video game and scenery like Zelda could easily be added to a place like LC while seamlessly leaving out the weird characters. If Universal liked video game attractions as much as you think, they wouldn't have put Super Mario world in such an enclosed area where it couldn't be expanded. You should never compare potter to Nintendo. Potter is a much nicer and more subtle concept which guarantees money, unlike what goes beneath a video game like Mario.

Nintendo is one of the world's largest intellectual brands, with countless IP's that many have wanted to see into the theme parks, including Zelda; and (even though this may be a bit harder, especially when you know more facts), The Pokemon Brand.

Nintendo, won't be a one and done. I can guarantee you this now; that Orlando and Japan will most likely get another Nintendo IP into their parks.

Hollywood? That, is something I would not say. But, that is incredibly off-topic, and that any future discussion on that, should be on the proper threads, linked here and here.

That said,

:topic:

One of the things I could see, is that they may clean up the area a small bit, to allow maybe the fog to return for the rest of the year. Do I think it's likely? No, and that it'd be wasted money for a ride that would close later in the year.

Nintendo is one of the world's largest intellectual brands, with countless IP's that many have wanted to see into the theme parks, including Zelda; and (even though this may be a bit harder, especially when you know more facts), The Pokemon Brand.

Nintendo, won't be a one and done. I can guarantee you this now; that Orlando and Japan will most likely get another Nintendo IP into their parks.

Hollywood? That, is something I would not say. But, that is incredibly off-topic, and that any future discussion on that, should be on the proper threads, linked here and here.

That said,

:topic:

One of the things I could see, is that they may clean up the area a small bit, to allow maybe the fog to return for the rest of the year. Do I think it's likely? No, and that it'd be wasted money for a ride that would close later in the year.
Why is there no longer fog in The Big Bug in MIB?

i think they took out the fog due to complaints.People tend to complain if the ride spins a lot and add the fact thats where you spin the most also had fog and some water effects was getting huge negatives in the gsat scores

i think they took out the fog due to complaints.People tend to complain if the ride spins a lot and add the fact thats where you spin the most also had fog and some water effects was getting huge negatives in the gsat scores
If people don't like a ride, they should just not re-ride. That was a really nice and IMO perfect effect for that scene. You shouldn't ruin an expirience for others. :rolleyes:

its always happened that way cat and the hat lost its spinning journey got less scary. alien encounter closed. Epcot got Disney characters and Florida got a half ass pirates of the Caribbean.If people complain hard enough they can make theme parks do almost anything.

its always happened that way cat and the hat lost its spinning journey got less scary. alien encounter closed. Epcot got Disney characters and Florida got a half ass pirates of the Caribbean.If people complain hard enough they can make theme parks do almost anything.
The vocal minority always wins.

Maybe I'm just cuckoo, but I rode ET multiple times a few weeks ago and... I honestly didn't feel it was running too badly at all?
I realise that rehab's cover more than just the show scenes/animatronics, but those all seemed to be working really well.

It could be just a general cleaning, sprucing-up rehab. As has been said, it's not going to be long enough to really do much else.

Reactions: amityboattours
Including people. I know a person that wears long pants to HHN to keep the fog off. Trades that for the heat. I couldn't do it but I do like to shower it off asap
The fog at HHN is water based. Your friend's pants are doing nothing but overheating him. In fact, the company HHN uses for fog is owned by a man with asthma. He sits in the stuff and breathes it all day. I order about 1 ton of the same fluid every year. Universal is one of their biggest clients.
"100% American Made - ... only uses De-Ionized Water and Pharmaceutical Grade Chemicals, all Approved by the FDA."