Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 398 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I think the perceived competition between the two resorts tends to make us more jaded towards the "other" park than the one we prefer. Flight of Passage is incredible. So is Spider-Man. So is Tower. So is Journey.

Neither would be building at the quality they are these days without the other keeping them on their toes. I don't think either has a monopoly on "we did this first so that means anything like it owes us its legacy". I'm just happy we're getting good attractions.

Sometimes I think the perceived competition between the two resorts tends to make us more jaded towards the "other" park than the one we prefer. Flight of Passage is incredible. So is Spider-Man. So is Tower. So is Journey.

Neither would be building at the quality they are these days without the other keeping them on their toes. I don't think either has a monopoly on "we did this first so that means anything like it owes us its legacy". I'm just happy we're getting good attractions.

The only way I can see people arguing over it would be if one person has an AP to Disney and one has an AP to Universal and they're just trying to justify it to themselves.

As a tourist who visits both, I'm more than happy for the resorts to fight it out. Competition is healthy in business and we (the public) get to reap all the benefits.

Disney is surveying guests in an email after previewing Pandora. Looks like they're comparing the number of people that liked it or didn't like it to the number of people that are or aren't familiar with and like the film.

IMG_5446.PNG

IMG_5447.PNG

Reactions: JoeCamel
Flight of Passage has long been my least-anticipated (by some distance) of the two Pandora attractions, but this very positive feedback is starting to get me really excited!

Still sounds like it will end up being too intense for the other people in my group, though, which is kind of a bummer. Hopefully they can keep occupied exploring the land.

Well said. Simply quoting as it needs to be repeated.

I had an interesting realization today. Those Banshee puppets may very well be the lead in to Pokemon if Universal and Nintendo go that route. They're an innovative piece of merch.

Reactions: Quint
I've been showing my banshee puppet off to my family all day. They're amazed by it. Keep saying it's going to be most popular thing at Disney. And they all thought it was animatronic because it kept reacting to them when they got close. Took them all an hour to realize I was controlling it without electronics.

(Note, there is some drinking going on.)

Glad to hear this land has been worth the wait! I couldn't get a passholder preview time since they were gone so quickly. Hopefully they'll open up after the 20th. If not, I'll be there the 27th following work. This land based on reviews alone has gassed me up from least anticipated to most by far.

Every so often i check the interwebz to see how the AP's and DVC folks are liking AVATAR. The ones who don't like FOP and say "I dont get the hype" I'm pretty sure are dead inside.
ill say this
we went yesterday and my wife is not a big fan of rides and theme parks in general but does it anyways to appease her family LOL
when she got off of FOP she said "i couldnt stop smiling this is the best ride i ve ever been on can we go ride it again?"

I've been showing my banshee puppet off to my family all day. They're amazed by it. Keep saying it's going to be most popular thing at Disney. And they all thought it was animatronic because it kept reacting to them when they got close. Took them all an hour to realize I was controlling it without electronics.

(Note, there is some drinking going on.)
"Note, there is some drinking going on" (Alicia).....True theme park adherents. :):cheers:

Reactions: Disneyhead
Well there is now a TPR video up if you are so inclined to look on YouTube that shows part of the FOP film as well as a look at the range of vertical motion of the ride. Don't feel like embedding it here/don't know if we're allowed, but according to them go pro chest mounts and pivot head glasses are allowed on the ride.

Well there is now a TPR video up if you are so inclined to look on YouTube that shows part of the FOP film as well as a look at the range of vertical motion of the ride. Don't feel like embedding it here/don't know if we're allowed, but according to them go pro chest mounts and pivot head glasses are allowed on the ride.
We were told no filming of any kind was allowed on FoP multiple times by multiple cast members yesterday before riding.

Reactions: JoeCamel
So I found a book about Avatar by coincidence at one of those discount book disposal stores this weekend.

And it explains Navi culture and the flora and fauna (so I will post names with pics at some point for the stuff found in the land).

The part that interests me is the vision hunt - sort of like a vision quest where they go in search of their spirit animal and it's a right of passage leading up to the banshee riding thing.

Well, in the River Journey you see the two animals required for the vision hunt (both produce a type of hallucinogen - the glow worm in the caves at the start and the millipede liking thing on the screen rock arch). It also features the hexapede which is the first animal a young Navi is allowed to kill on their way to adulthood and the eventual Ikran/banshee right of passage.

The book also describes their music and their hunt songs and the sort of songs from a vision hunt as well - which very much suggests that the River Journey is like your own metaphorical vision hunt before you get to the triumphant Ikran bonding.

Reactions: Alicia
So I found a book about Avatar by coincidence at one of those discount book disposal stores this weekend.

And it explains Navi culture and the flora and fauna (so I will post names with pics at some point for the stuff found in the land).

The part that interests me is the vision hunt - sort of like a vision quest where they go in search of their spirit animal and it's a right of passage leading up to the banshee riding thing.

Well, in the River Journey you see the two animals required for the vision hunt (both produce a type of hallucinogen - the glow worm in the caves at the start and the millipede liking thing on the screen rock arch). It also features the hexapede which is the first animal a young Navi is allowed to kill on their way to adulthood and the eventual Ikran/banshee right of passage.

The book also describes their music and their hunt songs and the sort of songs from a vision hunt as well - which very much suggests that the River Journey is like your own metaphorical vision hunt before you get to the triumphant Ikran bonding.
Loved seeing the millipede walking across the log near the beginning. Great use of projection mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.