Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

To me this attraction does a better job of using screens than Kong. Kong relies more heavily on using screens where this has other entertainment elements in the queue to add to the overall experience. Kong does this as well but to a lesser degree, and then when it gets to the ride the screens could have been implemented into the environment better. Kong is a great attraction and I really like it, but I feel it has a few very minor flaws whereas Jimmy Fallon feels like a more polished attraction overall.

I'll agree the queue is a huge standout, but there is no way this attraction uses screens better. Sorry, I know that I just said that comment about opinions, but that opinion is crazy talk. :lol:

Well Kong has screens, Fallon is screens...comparing them is a bit tough..

I will say Fallon has more pay off because it gives you everything it sets out to give you..IMO Kong suffers because of its queue, it builds up this amazing experience that turns out to feel very short and very lackluster..

BTW I had a dream that Kong was a Pirates of the Carribean type ride last night, it was very fun and full of AAs..Granted, it took Shrek's spot for some reason, but it was a cool dream nonetheless

Well Kong has screens, Fallon is screens...comparing them is a bit tough..

I will say Fallon has more pay off because it gives you everything it sets out to give you..IMO Kong suffers because of its queue, it builds up this amazing experience that turns out to feel very short and very lackluster..

BTW I had a dream that Kong was a Pirates of the Carribean type ride last night, it was very fun and full of AAs..Granted, it took Shrek's spot for some reason, but it was a cool dream nonetheless
You know that having a UOR dream takes a super fan! (I mean that in a good way)

Rode this twice over the weekend and it exceeded my expectations. My friend and I each booked at time so I got to do it twice in a row. First time the upstairs was pretty full but only took 20 mins from entering to getting on. Got to catch the end of the rag time gals and see hash tag come out. Very well done and the crowd seemed to love it. SecoND time walked into an empty building and got right on so it seems they have ironed out the distribution of return tix. As for the ride it was fun and feels like an evolution of the Simpson ride and is really smooth. Front row seems to be a little too close as when I was in the 5th row the video seemed a little more crisp. Again I heard multiple groups come odd very pleased praising the ride. Only thing I noticed was there is a bright cross in the middle that is the result of the 4 projectors overlapping that I don't notice on any of the other rides. I guess that is a result of how close the projectors are to the screen bUT not a big issue. Best effect is the weightlessness feeling and jimmy pushing off the vehicle. Now all they need to do is replace Shrek, DM, and Simpsons with physical rides and balance will be restored to the park. This is a ride I will do every trip since it is so easy. You can even book before you go using a fake GPS signal.

Just talked to friends visiting from out of the area and they were telling us they LOVED the Fallon attraction. Once again, those "outside the bubble" of Orlando/theme parks are loving this. They went on and on about how fun it was and how they loved the queueless system.
I do wonder how this would be received had they not made the choice for a queueless system.

The pre-ride entertainment adds an awful lot to the experience.

I agree, it's the whole experience that makes it worth while. Had it JUST been the simulator it probably would have been as big a dud as people "in the know" made it out to be.

I do wonder how this would be received had they not made the choice for a queueless system.

The pre-ride entertainment adds an awful lot to the experience.
Times are changing in themed entertainment. Now the wait is part of the ride. Disney did this with Little Mermaid in NFL and attempted it in seven dwarfs but I think Universal is taking it to new levels with Kong, the HP rides and now Jimmy.

No longer will we wait in endless switchbacks but have good entertainment that adds to the whole experience of the "ride" which may only be 2 - 4 minutes of the total.

Just talked to friends visiting from out of the area and they were telling us they LOVED the Fallon attraction. Once again, those "outside the bubble" of Orlando/theme parks are loving this. They went on and on about how fun it was and how they loved the queueless system.
which kind of goes with my theory
the GP is far more lenient and flexible and simply enjoy the rides for what they are.

Finally got to experience the attraction.....
My GF walked off the ride, her response summed it up pretty well, "Wow. That was soooooo good", and she said that phrase three times in succession.
* Universal really hit it on this. They got a lot of bang for their buck. A small D ticket attraction on a small plot of land replacing an attraction that very few were riding anymore Almost all of us trashed this up until it's opening. It has the feel of an E ticket. It hits on all cylinders, and most important of all, it's very much fun and entertaining. The building adds a lot to that section of the park and makes that corner alive. I can't really recall pre shows and rides where so many people were demonstratively enjoying themselves. Screaming, laughing, applauding, everywhere, all the time...it just never seemed to stop. Ragtime Gals various routines are great. Hashtag is so much fun. The pre show videos are hilarious, and I don't even often watch Fallon. Heck, people were even laughing loudly and applauding the Roots doing the on ride physical warning spiel. And the ride itself. Huge screen, image so clear you really feel like you're in the real studio. Rode it apx. 10 times so we sat just about everywhere. All rows are good, but back is best. Great decision to keep the motion smooth as silk and avoid the jerkiness this ride system can produce. The smoothness makes the ride. It's thrilling but relaxed at the same time. Like gliding through the air. The Race Through NY is funny, entertaining, fast paced and need I say it, pure blasphemy to some, but easily comparable since I rode this both before and after a trip to Epcot, it's better than Soarin (Now that will get me drawn & quartered, Braveheart style, by Disney apologists :lol:).....Fallon was just so much FUN. And that's what theme parks are supposed to be about. No wonder it's scoring so high on guest surveys. Heard it's the highest rated ride in the park from one Insider......Just loved the entire totality of the experience. Generally it was about 15-20 minutes from express pass entry into the building and end of the ride. I'd rather have even more time in the queue, since all the pre show stuff is "that good". Never thought I'd say this last year, but here's my ranking..............*Facade, queue, pre shows 10. Ride itself 9....Totality of Experience 9 1/2 :thumbsup: :cheers:

I'm from the UK so not yet but the ride is at the end of the day a 4d cinema. Whether it moves or not, it really doesn't matter.
In the actual storyline the theater flies through New York, hence calling it a "Flying Theater." It's not a technical term to call the ride system... It's a description of how the audience is traversing the city in the ride's story.

Did this today, it was a walk on so I went back to see the Ragtime Girls after. I guess I am not who this was built for, the people around me seemed to be having a good time but didn't seem much for me. Different strokes

I did see some families with small kids that were aghast and shaking their heads at the rap the RGs did. Definitely not prime time stuff there

My GF walked off the ride, her response summed it up pretty well, "Wow. That was soooooo good", and she said that phrase three times in succession.
* Universal really hit it on this. They got a lot of bang for their buck. A small D ticket attraction on a small plot of land replacing an attraction that very few were riding anymore Almost all of us trashed this up until it's opening. It has the feel of an E ticket. It hits on all cylinders, and most important of all, it's very much fun and entertaining. The building adds a lot to that section of the park and makes that corner alive. I can't really recall pre shows and rides where so many people were demonstratively enjoying themselves. Screaming, laughing, applauding, everywhere, all the time...it just never seemed to stop. Ragtime Gals various routines are great. Hashtag is so much fun. The pre show videos are hilarious, and I don't even often watch Fallon. Heck, people were even laughing loudly and applauding the Roots doing the on ride physical warning spiel. And the ride itself. Huge screen, image so clear you really feel like you're in the real studio. Rode it apx. 10 times so we sat just about everywhere. All rows are good, but back is best. Great decision to keep the motion smooth as silk and avoid the jerkiness this ride system can produce. The smoothness makes the ride. It's thrilling but relaxed at the same time. Like gliding through the air. The Race Through NY is funny, entertaining, fast paced and need I say it, pure blasphemy to some, but easily comparable since I rode this both before and after a trip to Epcot, it's better than Soarin (Now that will get me drawn & quartered, Braveheart style, by Disney apologists :lol:).....Fallon was just so much FUN. And that's what theme parks are supposed to be about. No wonder it's scoring so high on guest surveys. Heard it's the highest rated ride in the park from one Insider......Just loved the entire totality of the experience. Generally it was about 15-20 minutes from express pass entry into the building and end of the ride. I'd rather have even more time in the queue, since all the pre show stuff is "that good". Never thought I'd say this last year, but here's my ranking..............*Facade, queue, pre shows 10. Ride itself 9....Totality of Experience 9 1/2 :thumbsup: :cheers:
I knew you'd love this mate! :thumbsup:
I agree with all your points, it's an absolute hoot and a brilliantly rounded addition to the park. Even on repeat rides, I get more laughs per minute™ than on any other current Uni attraction!

I knew you'd love this mate! :thumbsup:
I agree with all your points, it's an absolute hoot and a brilliantly rounded addition to the park. Even on repeat rides, I get more laughs per minute™ than on any other current Uni attraction!
Yes, definitely, it's very repeatable. That kind of surprised me. And even after all all those times in the queue, I only got too see a small portion of the total offerings. You could probably go through the queue dozens of times before you experience all the entertainment and films they show. Every time through the queue was like a new experience, because it basically was a new experience for real.

Very interesting. Minus Kong :look: I think our opinions are very similar and your reviews are the ones I trust more than most.