Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 412 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually there were FIVE.

River Country
Typhoon Lagoon
Blizzard Beach
Wet N Wild
Water Mania

Five is doable. They coexisted from 1995-2001 and did just fine. Of course, there were nowhere near as many tourists visiting Orlando back then...so if Universal added a second waterpark on the new site, I don't see a problem. If anything, with as busy as Universal is getting, and the amount of hotels built up, and with how popular Volcano Bay will probably be, they may need a second waterpark or serious expansion way sooner than later.
I think Water Mania wasn't really any bigger than Coco Key.

441be885d3ae680aac7595bb3f8a4b0a.jpg

Looks much bigger than Coco Cay to me.

From 1995-2001 and 2008-2016, there were four water parks in the Orlando area:

River Country (1976-2001)/Aquatica (2008-present)
Wet 'N Wild (1977-2016)/Volcano Bay
Typhoon Lagoon (1989-present)
Blizzard Beach (1995-present)

Volcano Bay will bring Orlando back up to 4 water parks later this month. Five parks may be pushing it now, but if Universal wants visitors to stay "on site" for an entire week, it may need a second water park to get that sixth gate.

If Sea World sells Aquatica Orlando, I could see Universal moving it to the new land off Destination Parkway. If Universal acquires all of Sea World Orlando, then they'll probably keep it right where it is.
How dare you dis-include Water Mania!!

Reactions: Cheezbat
Any chance Universal would build a second water park on the 475 acres it owns by the convention center? That should be enough land for two dry parks and a water park, which would essentially match Disney's portfolio.
Watching what happened to Water Mania, I'll say this. Orlando can support any number of whatever you put here.
Take Malls (Indoor or outdoor) for Example.

Orlando area has upwards of 10+ open air/indoor malls shopping retail centers. How each one fairs is decided by what offerings are available and who can keep up with growing technological advancement and easements for consumers.

Orlando still being the most visited city in the world can easily support 5 water parks and multiple theme/adventure parks.

If Universal decides to build a new water park on the other land , it just depends on the market and whats offered.

How do you top Volcano Bay, make Volcano Bay mistakes and dislikes better? How do you make people by a two park water park pass instead of an aquatica pass or water park after two pass?

All of these questions and more will contribute to whether or not a 2nd water park is feasible.

And one of the most important things. WHERE.

Volcano Bay couldn't have been in a better spot and even remembering the Cabana Bay Land being completely empty few years back, no one could have predicted that.

In All it will be interesting to see if a FunSpot Water Park is ever built and how the other parks fair after the first full year round opening of Volcano Bay.

VB thread #412 pages. Pandora #399. Will be interesting to see which has the most pages (discussion) at opening day.

Watermania was small. But I liked it cause I lived in Kissimmee and it was the closest to my house. But I remember it being like only a third the size of Wet n Wild.

Didn't Watermania close before Aquatica opened though? So the number of water parks kind of remained the same.

Reactions: Disneyhead
I'm too drunk to even make an opinion right now.

I'm too hungover to even make an opinion right now.

We'd get along just fine. :wave:

I think Aventura is going to be a crazy quick build.

Given how quick and how much Universal and Disney are building, there's always going to be something to watch for the next 3 years. It's turning into a new golden era.

Didn't they open reservations already? Aug 2018 I believe

Wow. 10 days out and still no video of the eruption testing. Either they've done it at 3am a few times and are happy with the results (somehow no one caught a glimpse aside from that random twitter guy a while back) or they've yet to actually test it. Craziness. Really anticipating seeing that.

Reactions: Andysol
It was about as big as a Wet N Wild. It was the first waterpark I ever visited in Florida...and while they didn't update and add stuff in the later years to keep up with the competition, it held its own for years.
They were also the ONLY place that had a Flowrider. I still can't believe another one of those hasn't been built at another waterpark down here.

It was about as big as a Wet N Wild. It was the first waterpark I ever visited in Florida...and while they didn't update and add stuff in the later years to keep up with the competition, it held its own for years.
They were also the ONLY place that had a Flowrider. I still can't believe another one of those hasn't been built at another waterpark down here.
Crazy, I guess it was just deceptively small from driving past it on 192.

This ^^

First time I ever saw a Flowrider. Once they closed Water Mania I believe they moved the Flowrider to the Florida Mall for a bit in that surf shop near where Crayola is located now.

Reactions: Alicia
The internet archive for Water Mania shows its size and attraction list:

Water Mania is Florida's Water Theme Park, with over 36 acres of thrilling slides, flumes, pools, and a variety of dry-land activities for the whole family to enjoy.

WIPE OUT
You don't have to be a surfer to enjoy this high intensity thrill attraction. Grab a body board and ride this continuous perfect wave. Water Mania is proud to be the first water park in the Southeastern United States to feature this fantastic continuous wave attraction.

THE DOUBLE BERZERKER
These twin speed slides send guests ZOOMING straight down and over double dips with a splashing finish.

THE SCREAMER
A free-fall speed slide, sending thrill seekers straight down 72 feet.

TWIN TORNADOES
With two flumes to choose from, guests can pick their course as they charge head first down 320 feet of twists and turns with only a mat between them and this adventurous slide.

THE ABYSS
Enter a chasm of deep blue darkness! This enclosed double tube slide of over 380 plummeting feet will rapidly envelop you and a passenger in its grip!

THE ANACONDA
This giant 14 foot wide family slide begins atop a 50 foot tower and sends riders twisting and turning 400 feet down with a splash pool awaiting their arrival.

THE BANANA PEEL
This un-assuming family thrill ride holds the record for the most screams. Guests are seated on a 2-passenger tube and plunge to the bottom of the 176 foot slide.

RIPTIDE
A White Water adventure, which sends guests plunging into Cruisin' Creek with a rush of flowing water.

CRUISIN' CREEK
Guests can float swiftly along this 850 foot tropical river which winds around several of the park's main rides. Some of our colorful foam alligator and snake friends will swim along, keeping company to all ages with or without a tube.

WHITECAPS WAVE POOL
Guests can jump right into 720,000 gallons of water and bounce along on the waves, with or without a tube.

PIRATE'S LAGOON
A pirate's paradise designed just for kids, including slides, fountains, water guns, and an immense pirate ship. It's a swash-buckling splash for the youngest at heart!

THE RAIN TRAIN

Water Mania's most talked about newest attraction is the "Rain Train". Children of all ages flock to this life sized locomotive. The "Rain Train" sits in zero depth water to make it easier for kids to hop aboard. Water sprays from the "Rain Train's" stack, wheels and slides. Adjacent to the train is a variety of fun interactive play elements.​

Reactions: Scott W.
Status
Not open for further replies.