The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle - Hollywood | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Why not utilize media that already exists for one castle immediately while the creatives work on the holiday show? It seems like the install is much simpler than it would be for Orlando. Just plop some projectors on top of Shrek and let it go. From my understanding Hollywood is also getting the Christmas show.
I'm just taking a guess here but maybe it's not possible. Maybe the location of the projectors or the slight differences in castles makes it harder to reuse the media than we realize.

Reactions: Aaron
It would be nice if they did this at IOA. The only problem is they hardly ever keep the darn park open at night. :fist::rant: :bang: :mad:...;)

USH has the same problem! Good luck if this show will play more than twice per night during the summer as the sun goes down close to 9pm and the park usually closes at 10pm.

I'm just taking a guess here but maybe it's not possible. Maybe the location of the projectors or the slight differences in castles makes it harder to reuse the media than we realize.

This also is an entirely different show. I expect the projections to mimic the grand opening show, but have changes. The lighting effect in the trees will be a new addition which will be timed with the projection show. The additional lights have also replaced the fireworks option. USH already has enough issues with noise, they weren't about to add a nightly firework show.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
This also is an entirely different show. I expect the projections to mimic the grand opening show, but have changes. The lighting effect in the trees will be a new addition which will be timed with the projection show. The additional lights have also replaced the fireworks option. USH already has enough issues with noise, they weren't about to add a nightly firework show.

So similar to the effect used in Happily Ever After, where lighting is added into the trees to depict the scene at hand?

I hope to feel the spectacular-ness within the first minute. This show may be only 6 minutes long...!

From audio testing within the park, it'll be a rather long show for projection mapping standards.

Where do you think the best spot to watch the show will be? Do you think there will be a lot of people going just to watch?

Depending on how they advertise the show on the park map and if show times are displayed should determine how crowded it will be. It could be like Frog Choir where people crowd and follow the sounds just to check it out. - (Where there are no show times but people are drawed to it.)
Whether or not it's widely advertised in park, the crowds will be insane and shoulder to shoulder.

My personal favorite spot to look at the castle and I'm sure will be a beautiful spot to watch the show from is:

If your looking at the FOTH entrance it's to your right near a trashcan. - It's my go to photo spot for that picturesque long exposure and I'm sure will be an amazing viewing spot for the show!

Right here:whoo:

EDIT/Add on - The show is what, 5 minutes long? I can see it happening once every 15 minutes, similar to what Boney Island does with its dancing fountains. Just keep them cycling so the crowd keeps on moving and we don't get huge groups of people hanging out all at once.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12th Man and Adoree
The show is what, 5 minutes long? I can see it happening once every 15 minutes, similar to what Boney Island does with its dancing fountains. Just keep them cycling so the crowd keeps on moving and we don't get huge groups of people hanging out all at once.

From what it seems like, thanks to Audio Testing; the show is as long as fifteen to twenty minutes. And that it's more like an expanded version of the Opening Ceremony, with a narrative being put into place.

To add, it is sounding like there may be an employee preview by the end of the month for the show itself.

From what it seems like, thanks to Audio Testing; the show is as long as fifteen to twenty minutes. And that it's more like an expanded version of the Opening Ceremony, with a narrative being put into place.

To add, it is sounding like there may be an employee preview by the end of the month for the show itself.

I can tell you right now that the show will not be 15 minutes. Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 12.23.31 PM.png

Also, there will be AP previews leading up to the show as well as employee previews.