Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Inside the Magic has confirmed in the comments of the video that for that particular river apparently life jackets are required.

Life jackets are required it seems, but I hope the tubes aren't. I love Aquatica's fast river, putting on a life jacket and floating through the fast water without a tube. Actually, I don't think they give tubes for the fast river, and didn't require life jackets last time I was there.

Life vests and tubes are required for Te Awa.

I know everyone is going to have different opinions. But let's not relish in it, @Miketheboss

Damn that sucks. those things look uncomfortable as hell. And doesn't Aquatica have the same type of river? And if i'm correct only guests under 48 inches need to wear a life vest on that one.

Damn that sucks. those things look uncomfortable as hell. And doesn't Aquatica have the same type of river? And if i'm correct only guests under 48 inches need to wear a life vest.

He said everyone is required.

This is what they could have done inside the volcano to make it look a bit nicer.
hedge-tunnel-stock-image-341684.jpg

Universal really surprised me with this one. I knew it'd be pretty bad but this exceeded my expectation, especially that headchopper beam that @Miketheboss pointed out. I can't even begin to wonder what they were thinking when they said, "No, this is how we want it to look." There's gotta be an interesting story behind this, and I think it begins with the budget.

He said everyone is required.
I think he was referring to the Aquatica action river. Aquatica doesn't require you to wear a life vest on their action river.

Universal really surprised me with this one. I knew it'd be pretty bad but this exceeded my expectation, especially that headchopper beam that @Miketheboss pointed out. I can't even begin to wonder what they were thinking when they said, "No, this is how we want it to look." There's gotta be an interesting story behind this, and I think it begins with the budget.
I can't wait to read the book about it in ten years.

Reactions: Kwame

They might cover the beam in a wooden vinyl. Lets see.

Reactions: Joel
There isn't anything much more they can do to fix the river minus rebuild it.... The most that is happening is cleaning up the inside of the volcano, finishing tiling and painting. But it is a manmade, modern pool channel, and there is no changing that.

I'm not talking about the channel itself.

Inside the Magic has confirmed in the comments of the video that for that particular river apparently life jackets are required.
They better make that wave generator push you at a ridiculous pace if they require a life jacket. Look forward to seeing it done but don't like the life jacket thing.

It is, it's the inconsistencies. I mean, even if we can forgive the amount of unthemed Slide towers they have in this park, this river really is not forgivable... It is the easiest thing to get right. Either commit or don't commit. The park is gorgeous, and lush... but the epitome of best themed waterpark it is not.
The key thing here is that the rivers and wave pool should be the best themed things in the entire park. Because that's where you're going to be "in line". That view is awful- trees won't cover that.

I will say, in defense of the channel design for TeAwa, that's the "proper" design for the walls with how fast the current moves. Aquatica's is similar in that there's no rough rock work at the water level, its pretty smoothed out, both in texture and look. You really don't want to be scraping your feet/limbs on normal rock work at the speed of the current (I think it can be bad enough in a normal lazy river when you have your eyes closed and aren't expecting it). So I have no issues with the "generic" look of the river channel.

I will say, in defense of the channel design for TeAwa, that's the "proper" design for the walls with how fast the current moves. Aquatica's is similar in that there's no rough rock work at the water level, its pretty smoothed out, both in texture and look. You really don't want to be scraping your feet/limbs on normal rock work at the speed of the current (I think it can be bad enough in a normal lazy river when you have your eyes closed and aren't expecting it). So I have no issues with the "generic" look of the river channel.
Agreed, and we haven't really seen much of the other river yet so I don't think we should judge it, they still should find a good way to fix up the volcano area in this river though.

Reactions: maxairmike
Here's how Atlantis built their action river with the same high walls for comparison. Looks pretty nice to me and would of been much more fitting for Volcano Bay.

maxresdefault.jpg

Now that's GORGEOUS! Looks like a deep channel carved out by rough waters, with gorgeous lush foliage high up.

This inside of the volcano looks really nice from the Fearless River.... :bolt:

The Fearless Rivers isn't filled to it's correct height yet. All of the grates and stuff you see on the side walls towards the end will be submerged under water making the look completely different. This was just a temporary fix to have a lazy river open as it seems the Stargazer Cavern isn't ready yet. Also the view from the inside of the volcano will look completely different in a few weeks. But, by all means, make your judgements now on an incomplete product.

My favorite part about the Aquaventure action river is how it is built into sections. One moment you're in an underground cove braving rapids, then its calm, then you encounter the wave temple, then it's calm again, then more rapids. It's a total adventure and would have been the perfect thing for guests to do while they "wait in line".

Hindsights always 20:20 but I just don't know why creative made some of the decisions they did when it came to this park. Probably UC's most inconsistent project to date - although history shows us that when it's their own creative endeavor and not an IP it always tends to be underwhelming (example: Rockit)

Reactions: lillylyon123334