Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardian's of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout

Here's another one if you guys wanna see what another variation of the ride looks like. Honestly, I think this is more fun than Tower of Terror since it focuses more on having a good time rather than thrill. At first I was super pissed about the replacement but, being a Tower of Terror and Twilight Zone fan for almost half of my life and having never seen any of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, I really like this new addition. Now it makes me want to watch the movies.

One thing Id want to add to this is maybe some LEDs in the shaft so that you're not riding in complete darkness. Needs something that ties the whole story together. As of now, apart from audio, everything is compartmentalized and confusing. Weird to see Tower in such a state of lightheartedness! Please keep this the hell away from Orlando :p

Needs something that ties the whole story together. As of now, apart from audio, everything is compartmentalized and confusing.
I think it's suppose to be that way for comedic effect. The whole "what-the-hell-is-going-on" vibe that the ride gives works for me. Even in the end, Drax makes a comment how you were just a bystander the entire time and you really didn't do anything.

The Tower of Terror appealed to a common fear every one of us has... every time we step in an elevator, we think, for a microsecond, "what if this falls?" -- and then quickly dismiss it as impossible. It literally appealed to one of our worst nightmares. And did it with nuance, class, and best of all... suspense.

This re-do is disconnected and disparate, loud, brash, and the drops seem like an afterthought. Just like the first movie, you'll walk away humming the song and confuse that for a good experience.

And no, I have not ridden this ride -- I'm just going by the YouTube vids.

TL;DR: The Imagineers did the best they could do with the given assignment, and it's also a shitty re-do.

Yeah let's not open Pandora's box by refusing/dismissing opinions (if negative, seemingly) of those who haven't ridden the ride. I've ridden Tower of Terror many times in DCA, I know what I'm looking at and I'm 95% sure I know how that would feel. This same goes for the VB thread. It's a pointless diversion to sidestep the discussion.

I'm gonna see for myself later and take all of the negative comments with a grain of salt. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Well, I caved to my curiousity and decided to watch a POV. It looks really good. It certainly looks more exciting than Tower of Terror. There are some things I wished they would've done:

One thing I was hoping they would do was use the corridor scene as a Musion effect as we were going up and down. I'm kind of disappointed they went with that for the power grid instead of the top of the tower to replace the doors. It would've been cool to see that as an alternate scene of seeing all of the "artifacts" breakout as we're going up and down.

The doors opening at the top is lame. They should've kept them shut.

I think it's a bummer that all of the different scenarios all take place in one setting. That's not much to work with for repeatability. Because they're all screens, I was hoping they would "cheat" the setting and have alternate scenes of different floors. While the Guarduans break out, have Yondu roaming around if the Collector angry about his big attraction now gone. Missed opportunity.

Those are the only negative things I noticed in the POV. I liked the music, the seamless mix of screenz with the rooms and how they synced up with the elevator, and the ride looks a lot more thrilling and exciting than ToT. I'm sure I'll enjoy that even more when I ride it.

Last edited:
I think my favorite bit was when the doors opened and Rocket says "Is that Disneyland? Cool!". I just love it when something goes meta :)

Having been on Orlando's ToT many times I honestly am not too upset ours was replaced by this only because it looks to be a lot more thrilling than what we had before compared to Orlando. Ours was absolutely the lesser of the two by a long shot and now they've improved on that. I've had quite a few friends go on it already and they all loved it so I have no doubt that I will as well.

Having been on Orlando's ToT many times I honestly am not too upset ours was replaced by this only because it looks to be a lot more thrilling than what we had before compared to Orlando. Ours was absolutely the lesser of the two by a long shot and now they've improved on that. I've had quite a few friends go on it already and they all loved it so I have no doubt that I will as well.

People are letting Orlando Tower give DCA's Tower far more credit than it was due. What was there was a cheap and lazy imitation. I shed no tears for it. Could this be better? Sure. But I'm not going to hold it to Orlando Tower standards, because that's not what it replaced.

I'm gonna see for myself later and take all of the negative comments with a grain of salt. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Well, I caved to my curiousity and decided to watch a POV. It looks really good. It certainly looks more exciting than Tower of Terror. There are some things I wished they would've done:

One thing I was hoping they would do was use the corridor scene as a Musion effect as we were going up and down. I'm kind of disappointed they went with that for the power grid instead of the top of the tower to replace the doors. It would've been cool to see that as an alternate scene of seeing all of the "artifacts" breakout as we're going up and down.

The doors opening at the top is lame. They should've kept them shut.

I think it's a bummer that all of the different scenarios all take place in one setting. That's not much to work with for repeatability. Because they're all screens, I was hoping they would "cheat" the setting and have alternate scenes of different floors. While the Guarduans break out, have Yondu roaming around if the Collector angry about his big attraction now gone. Missed opportunity.

Those are the only negative things I noticed in the POV. I liked the music, the seamless mix of screenz with the rooms and how they synced up with the elevator, and the ride looks a lot more thrilling and exciting than ToT. I'm sure I'll enjoy that even more when I ride it.

Have you seen vol. 2? Yondu seems like a no-go. ;)

Yeah let's not open Pandora's box by refusing/dismissing opinions (if negative, seemingly) of those who haven't ridden the ride. I've ridden Tower of Terror many times in DCA, I know what I'm looking at and I'm 95% sure I know how that would feel. This same goes for the VB thread. It's a pointless diversion to sidestep the discussion.
No problem with comments on POV 's. That works to a degree...But, in my opinion, I see no need for "full fledged reviews "on a POV. A full review of a POV, as opposed to actually experiencing the nuances of an attraction, adds very little to the understanding of what an attraction really is. And that can easily color people's opinions of a ride, in an overtly negative way. Yes, tell us what you think of a POV's merits. But let's not pretend that's the true ride experience. It's only the experience of what is, quite often, poorly filmed You Tube videos that don't, and can't, capture the essence of a ride. Nothing personal :thumbsup::), but this is a topic that has popped up often on OU(IU now) in the past when we encountered tons of negative responses of new Universal attractions from Disney oriented sites and their members that were reviewing You Tube videos and didn't actually ride the ride.....Yes, by all means, post a full review of an attraction you didn't experience, but put a disclaimer that this is just something you watched on video and it may not represent what the ride is really like. A POV review is not a real review of an attraction. :)

You may feel that way, but on the forums we will be encountering this a lot. Many people have said positive things based on the POVs and have not been called out. Both are equally valid and again, it only serves to swerve actual discussion. It's a complicated subject that has many conclusions.

I get it: you guys like the ride. Some people don't. Let's not try to dismiss that as almost all of us are viewing it through the same prism.

You may feel that way, but on the forums we will be encountering this a lot. Many people have said positive things based on the POVs and have not been called out. Both are equally valid and again, it only serves to swerve actual discussion. It's a complicated subject that has many conclusions.

I get it: you guys like the ride. Some people don't. Let's not try to dismiss that as almost all of us are viewing it through the same prism.
Once again, and I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying, or I'm just not communicating it well, I have no issues about comments on POV's. And I actually have no opinion on the GOG ride, positive or negative. But I thought that you doing a"full review"of an attraction without riding it was inappropriate. and misleading. You did not say, in your review, that you were reviewing a POV. That did not come out until you were questioned about your review. For a casual reader or casual member of this Forum, your review would be misleading, especially if they, as I thought, that you had really experienced the new GOG attraction. And, as a Staff Member, your review carries the weight of an official IU/OU review. Very misleading. And I can't really recall anyone, on OU, ever posting a "full review" of an attraction, based on a POV, where they didn't point out that they didn't actually ride it. And c'mon, your statement that you can imagine what GOG is like because you rode TOT many times carries little weight. That would be like doing a Frozen ride review without actually riding it, but saying you rode Maelstrom many times qualified you.And Disney made substantial changes in a TOT/GOG drop sequence you haven't experienced...Heh, like I said before, nothing personal. :) And I'm trying to be as polite as possible. But you keep challenging what I said (and my initial post didn't even mention you by name, though, it was indeed directed towards what I believed to be an inappropriate review that you wrote that made it sound like you rode the new GOG attraction. ...So, bottom line. If you want to review attractions without riding them, fine, but please tell us in your review that you did not actually ride it.....Looking forward to reading your review once you get the time to experience GOG. :thumbsup::)

Once again, and I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying, or I'm just not communicating it well, I have no issues about comments on POV's. And I actually have no opinion on the GOG ride, positive or negative. But I thought that you doing a"full review"of an attraction without riding it was inappropriate. and misleading. You did not say, in your review, that you were reviewing a POV. That did not come out until you were questioned about your review. For a casual reader or casual member of this Forum, your review would be misleading, especially if they, as I thought, that you had really experienced the new GOG attraction. And, as a Staff Member, your review carries the weight of an official IU/OU review. Very misleading. And I can't really recall anyone, on OU, ever posting a "full review" of an attraction, based on a POV, where they didn't point out that they didn't actually ride it. And c'mon, your statement that you can imagine what GOG is like because you rode TOT many times carries little weight. That would be like doing a Frozen ride review without actually riding it, but saying you rode Maelstrom many times qualified you.And Disney made substantial changes in a TOT/GOG drop sequence you haven't experienced...Heh, like I said before, nothing personal. :) And I'm trying to be as polite as possible. But you keep challenging what I said (and my initial post didn't even mention you by name, though, it was indeed directed towards what I believed to be an inappropriate review that you wrote that made it sound like you rode the new GOG attraction. ...So, bottom line. If you want to review attractions without riding them, fine, but please tell us in your review that you did not actually ride it.....Looking forward to reading your review once you get the time to experience GOG. :thumbsup::)

FYI - any official reviews go on main site.

And I don't know if you know this - but Ryan was a part of OU, just under a different name. So he's very well aware of the way OU worked.

I know you mean no ill will, but right now things are a little tense with how some people have acted with opinions. Let's just move on from all of this.

FYI - any official reviews go on main site.
I understand that, but when a Staff member does a review it carries considerable weight, and may be interpreted by many as an IU/OU review, even though it was not "technically" an official review. Most people around here read the forums but only go to the front page on occasion. ....Once again, I have no issues with those comments , or even a review, as long as they are represented for what they are. But that review was misleading since the ride was not experienced, but it was worded like it was. That takes away from the credibility of this site. And, I am really trying to be as polite as possible. :):thumbsup: I'm as pro OU/IU as they come.