Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

That kind of sums up pretty well just about everything I've read on the issue. The only thing going for a possible change in position is that the son is really really old, and sooner or later. :died:...It happens to the best of us. :)

Think about it, his dad was in WWI (!). So agreed, hopefully the grandkids like Ferraris or something.

I think it would be, to what level though is another question. The films made a ton of money (as did the Hobbit a much "lesser" series imo), the books continue to be widely read (a new one just dropped this month) and a new game has as well.

Dream works Island should replace Toon Lagoon. Madagascar and Kunfu Panda would be great rethemes!

Thoughts?

I think it has plenty of potential.

If we were wishing what would go replace TL, I'd go for The Simpsons. The IP deserves it's own land, not some half assed retheme of a 20 year old ride.

The Itchy and Scratchy log flume reminds me of the original pitch for Dudley.

The Islands of Adventure That Never Was Part 2: Ripsaw Falls - Theme Park University

If we were wishing what would go replace TL, I'd go for The Simpsons. The IP deserves it's own land, not some half assed retheme of a 20 year old ride.

The Islands of Adventure That Never Was Part 2: Ripsaw Falls - Theme Park University

I'm ok with the Simpsons at Universal.

What really deserves its own land is Dispicable Me! It's Universals biggest animated franchise and there attraction for it is lame. That deserves a mini land or a minion park like Japan!

Lol... funny enough, Simpson’s taking over Dudley would be a retheme of a 20 year old ride!

Obviously it’ll never happen, but I’ve never thought of the simpsons there. It’d be the best fit with the current space for sure. Log ride stays but themed differently. Popeye stays but retheme. And we get to walk around in a legitimately immersive Springfield with tighter streets and stores and food surrounding us.
Now I’m left wishing. Thanks Scott, ya jerk. :p

I don't think Toon Lagoon was ever meant to be "relevent", even back in 1999. It was always meant to be a fun throwback to cartoons/newspaper strips of yesteryear.

I'd say leave the land as is. I'm sure Dreamworks will get plenty of love in the 3rd gate.

Lol... funny enough, Simpson’s taking over Dudley would be a retheme of a 20 year old ride!

Obviously it’ll never happen, but I’ve never thought of the simpsons there. It’d be the best fit with the current space for sure. Log ride stays but themed differently. Popeye stays but retheme. And we get to walk around in a legitimately immersive Springfield with tighter streets and stores and food surrounding us.
Now I’m left wishing. Thanks Scott, ya jerk. :p

I can't see it happening either but it's nice to imagine.

I don't think Toon Lagoon was ever meant to be "relevent", even back in 1999. It was always meant to be a fun throwback to cartoons/newspaper strips of yesteryear.

I'd say leave the land as is. I'm sure Dreamworks will get plenty of love in the 3rd gate.

The IP is timeless but it's looking dated. Dudley is in bad shape (Scenes not working, behind the scenes visible) especially when you consider it next to the new highly themed lands and attractions. It's going to get left behind.

Toon Lagoon was dated upon its conception, but back in the day it was in a charming, throwback way. But now? Most kids nowadays have never even touched a newspaper. Everything about the comic strip alley doesn't appeal to anyone under the age of 20.

That's why I'd say, for a Toon Lagoon update, keep the general idea of the land, and the small peninsula with Popeye and Me Ship, The Olive, but remove Dudley, the Comic Strip Alley, and the Toon Lagoon theater. Replace Dudley with a SpongeBob submarine dark ride and have an accompanying Krusty Krab quick service spot. Change the Comic Strip Alley into a more general "Cartoon Alley" that throws together a lot of cartoon characters and colorful facades. Replace the Toon Lagoon theater with... whatever random DreamWorks property they want, although Madagascar would probably fit most if they're fitting into Toon Lagoon IMO.

Toon Lagoon was dated upon its conception, but back in the day it was in a charming, throwback way. But now? Most kids nowadays have never even touched a newspaper. Everything about the comic strip alley doesn't appeal to anyone under the age of 20.

That's why I'd say, for a Toon Lagoon update, keep the general idea of the land, and the small peninsula with Popeye and Me Ship, The Olive, but remove Dudley, the Comic Strip Alley, and the Toon Lagoon theater. Replace Dudley with a SpongeBob submarine dark ride and have an accompanying Krusty Krab quick service spot. Change the Comic Strip Alley into a more general "Cartoon Alley" that throws together a lot of cartoon characters and colorful facades. Replace the Toon Lagoon theater with... whatever random DreamWorks property they want, although Madagascar would probably fit most if they're fitting into Toon Lagoon IMO.
They should add Scooby-Doo and Tom & Jerry.