Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This gets my vote.

I wouldn't expect an announcement today. With tomorrow effectively starting 4th of July weekend, any official news will quickly get forgotten in the holiday lull.

Marketing is actually a science. Universal is doing it right.

Agreed 100% with the first part. 1,000,000% downvote on them doing it right.

Agreed 100% with the first part. 1,000,000% downvote on them doing it right.
I'm okay if you disagree. I've seen a lot of fans annoyed at the lack of updates. I've seen some fans say Marketing should be fired. That's just silly.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Marketing is NOT FOR THE FANS! Universal already has your money. If you're on the internet complaining about the lack of information, it's likely because you've already bought your passes and you just want (need?) confirmation that it's money well-spent. And I can completely understand that. But the purpose of Marketing is to sell the maybes. And if the data shows the maybes don't make a decision until July - August, then it's best to wait and release the bulk of the information until July-August.

Last year, all of the big, nationwide haunts were releasing information fairly early. This year, none of them are. That should tell you something. It likely means the broad data shows June is a "dead month" for Halloween packages. If that is the case, then 100%, Marketing is doing this right.

Allow me to counter point...

I completely understand utilizing your resources wisely, and them possibly thinking that they would be better served putting dollars and energy much closer to the actual event.

However; there is a lot to be said to utilizing a rabid fan base to the best of your ability. HHN fans are nothing, if not rabid.

Right now, that machine is turned to the off position. No one is really talking about what will actually happen, just about how much the radio silence sucks.

Now, imagine that they had been giving us a consistent drip of info. I'm not saying actual house announces every week, but at least something to keep everyone engaged; with a few (more than two) announces dropped in.

The dialogue between us rabid fans the the "maybes" would be greatly increased. It's turning the people you already have into a directed line of communication to their friends and neighbors.

As an example...

One of my friends has been on the fence about going for the past few years. This year, when they announced The Shining, he was actually about ready to bit the bullet; and I was giving him the hard sell.

Well...that was months ago, and we haven't really spoken about it since. If they had thrown in a few more reasons for him to go, they might already have his dollars committed. Instead, months have gone by without him even thinking about planning a trip to Florida, and money going other places.

Now, I'm sure someone will give me a line about this being more of a "local event". I would argue that it's obviously grown so much further than that in both practice and intent, and they need to start thinking that way.

Reactions: criticalanalysis
Putting a tweet, instagram, facebook, and then updating the website and LATER put out the marketing big bucks on the already announced houses = win, so they're dumb.

He addresses this, they tried last year and saw weak sales. Instead focus, especially with two major additions to the resort this spring/early summer.

Reactions: SeventyOne
He addresses this, they tried last year and saw weak sales. Instead focus, especially with two major additions to the resort this spring/early summer.

But that makes no sense. If they're pushing out majors ads and stuff, yeah. But it wouldn't cost them anything to just say "New house X coming, details soon :)" - it would accomplish the same thing with no cost.

Well...that was months ago, and we haven't really spoken about it since. If they had thrown in a few more reasons for him to go, they might already have his dollars committed. Instead, months have gone by without him even thinking about planning a trip to Florida, and money going other places.

Exact same thing with my buddies.

Reactions: DannyPowers
But that makes no sense. If they're pushing out majors ads and stuff, yeah. But it wouldn't cost them anything to just say "New house X coming, details soon :)" - it would accomplish the same thing with no cost.

Or...similar to what Mike had them doing last year. Put out a few "progress" pictures up on Twitter to show what they're working on without giving anything away.

No. This year, we get a self indulgent picture of a table saw in the background and some dude making a silly face.

Reactions: criticalanalysis
Yes. Just officially announce the lineup we already all know.

That way we can bitch and moan and drive up ticket sales. ;-)

Or...similar to what Mike had them doing last year. Put out a few "progress" pictures up on Twitter to show what they're working on without giving anything away.

No. This year, we get a self indulgent picture of a table saw in the background and some dude making a silly face.

It's honestly embarrassing how awful they are. This isn't the first time they've done a "scary" face selfie this year either. I am 100% positive there is no research that says putting out stupid poop like that sells tickets. If anything it would turn me OFF. There are a number of haunted attractions I do not go to because they put up God awful marketing stuff that is completely cheesy. For an undeserved "best haunt" HHN drops the ball a TON lately..

Give it back to Mike already.

Interesting and good conversation. The first year I went (2014) I was reluctant. Didn't really get what the event was. Two good friends had been going since 2012, and encouraged me -- it wasn't HHN marketing, but their word-of-mouth, that got me as a new customer. I, of course, was in love the second I stepped into HHN back in 2014 and will probably never not go.

For me some news is just excitement building. But I can see the point of the marketing not being for us (super fans), and the strategies at play.

My buddies and I also like to know for purely selfish reasons. My buddies and I will spend the months before HHN watching the related media. Last year we planned summer events around watching Krampus, Chainsaw, TWD, AHS, etc.

But frankly my buddies and I would still go even if they announced nothing until opening day. I'm just being impatient. :)

Reactions: TDBLMT
Word of mouth marketing is getting the job done better than anything their marketing department is going to get done. It's hard to have word of mouth marketing when their is nothing to discuss. Waiting to drop all the announcements until August is just a lazy move on their part. They apparently are showing a complete disregard for those who need to plan in advance for trips. The foolishness goes beyond just HHN. Don't they want people to stay at their hotels and by tickets for daytime Universal? Who is more likely to book rooms at their hotels, out of towners or locals? Yet they seem more focused on locals who already know about the event anyways. I honestly don't care what anyone says, it makes more sense to release info earlier on to get people talking versus showing a pic of a guy who kinda looks like a diddler. Hell... even if they dumped all the houses in June. What's stopping them from continuously marketing this info all the way up to the event? It's pretty simple. Does not knowing what your buying tickets for help sales? Do they want to sell vacation packages or not? You can't sell a product when no one knows what it is.

I'm okay if you disagree. I've seen a lot of fans annoyed at the lack of updates. I've seen some fans say Marketing should be fired. That's just silly.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Marketing is NOT FOR THE FANS! Universal already has your money. If you're on the internet complaining about the lack of information, it's likely because you've already bought your passes and you just want (need?) confirmation that it's money well-spent. And I can completely understand that. But the purpose of Marketing is to sell the maybes. And if the data shows the maybes don't make a decision until July - August, then it's best to wait and release the bulk of the information until July-August.

Last year, all of the big, nationwide haunts were releasing information fairly early. This year, none of them are. That should tell you something. It likely means the broad data shows June is a "dead month" for Halloween packages. If that is the case, then 100%, Marketing is doing this right.
So true here, we already bought our HHN tickets for September based on how much we enjoyed last year, even if its not AS good we will think it's money well spent, as we totally just enjoy the experience, and are really looking forward to going again. Its a must-do now! Last year was our first of many HHN trips.

The "maybes" are who UNI is wanting to rope in.

The biggest problem HHN has is that mass of guests that attend, so maybe they are keeping a little more quite as
a way of reducing crowds.
One thing for sure it will be packed.